Self-conscious at the gym!     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Golddust_and_stars

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Self-conscious at the gym! Reply with quote

Hey people!
I'm completely new to Diet.com and I'm really looking forward to getting to know the site and getting the most out of all the useful info and dieting tips on here!
I've just started an excercise and diet program and I can't wait 'til I've gotten into the rhythm of things.
Anyway, let's get down to the nitty gritty of things:
For a long time I have tried to get myself motivated to go to the gym and work out. The usual situation is me going once or twice and then quitting. Why?
Because I feel really, really self-conscious. I sweat, I have acne and I'm generally in bad shape. I'm not crazily overweight, but it's pretty obvious that I have too much fat compared to muscles on my body. I know it may sound stupid considering that very overweight people may have bigger wories about their bodies, but this is just how I feel. What to do? What do you do to be less self conscious about your body?

Sasha
Spike99

Total Posts: 201

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya.

Some people (especially women) have been taught at a very young age to feel bad about their body size / body shape. Some say it starts between age 8-12, when they get their first "perfect body shape" Barbie doll. You know its shape. The perfect legs, the perfect stomach size, the perfect upper body shape, the perfect face. So perfect at the beach in the perfect Barbie mobile. During the years, young girls think this is normal to be perfect. Or, what a woman's body must look like when they get older…. Just like advertisers have taught young kids that sugar overloaded cola/pop is good as well. Today, we know better.

When I go to the gym and see someone large who is working very hard and their T-shirt is drench, I think to myself. WOW!!!! "Good for them - wish more people did that". Seriously, I admire people who try to better their bodies at the gym or during meal time as well. For example, I see people eat good food items (instead of junk food) and I think to myself, WOW! "Way to go. Wish more people eat healthy. Some of their positive habits can be learned by others. "

If wondering, I do NOT visit a gym to "look pretty". That isn't my style. I go to the gym to "dig in and work my body". In my mind, the people around me are invisible. And, if they don't like looking at my body shape or my soaking wet T-shirt, too bad for them. They can look the other way.

Seriously…. No one has a perfect Barbie or perfect Ken doll body shape. We are all unique. That's why we are all called individuals. And, we admire each other when we "dig in and make it sweat" at the gym. To prove my point…. When you see someone looking at you at the gym, simply stop, smile and ask that person what their are thinking. I bet many of them will calmly say…. "Hey, you inspire me. I'm looking at you because you give me motivation to apply (improve) my own body as well"…. Always remember that you are at the gym to improve you - not to look pretty. Dances are made to look pretty and socialize with others…. A gym is there to "dig in and make it sweat". The more sweat, the better!!!

Update: I forgot to mention… When I "hit the TreadMill and dig in", my head band is soaking wet, my T-shirt's front is soaking wet, my back is soaking wet and my arm pits are soaking wet as well. That's the end results of my body "digging in" and having a good workout. If others don't like my wet look, they have the problem. I'm there to work-out, not to look nice & dry for them. Gyms are made to "dig in and make it sweat". That specialized environment is for you, not for them….

This works for me…

Golddust_and_stars

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Good point Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Smile

Yeah, I can only agree to your perspective. If you don't sweat at the gym, where else should you sweat?
It's stupid you know, I already new all of this but sometimes when you're in the actual moment, standing at the gym out of breath and feeling like a dork, it's all too easy to be overwelmed by it all. But yeah.. That's just me!
I'll definitely keep your post in mind when I hit the gym next time!
serena_moon

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't worry too much about what other people think, you're obviously going to the gym because you are preoccupied with your health and your body image and that's something to be admired. The gym is for people who want to do an intense workout, it's not a bar, it's not a place to show off pink sparkly clothes. When I go to the gym people who inspire me to work hard are those who look sweaty, messy and all red from the effort, not the thin barbie dolls dressed in pink workout outfits who are afraid they'll break a nail if they touch any of the machines.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com