boredom, tv and eating     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> 100 Pounds and More to Lose
View previous topic :: View next topic  
staceyf

Total Posts: 47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: boredom, tv and eating Reply with quote

My biggest hurdle is in the evenings. Like tonight, I'm alone, watching tv and mhy habit is to eat my way to bed. I've been dieting since 1/2 and have done well. Tonight, I'm having a really hard time so I thought I'd write in. As far as I know, the only reasonable thing to do is discipling myself and maybe go to bed early. This is really hard and I have so far to go. It was so much easier gaining the weight. I've lost 11 lbs and have 109 to go. It seems impossible although I know it's not.
Thanks for listening and comments are greatly appreciated.

"You can light a candle or curse the darkness."
Wintress

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm watching TV and I feel the need to "do something with my hands," which usually means I want to eat out of boredom, I drink tea. I get to have the sensation of consuming something that is good for me (antioxidants in green tea, for exampe) as well as keep my hands occupied.
hecticlifemom

Total Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: me too Reply with quote

I like to watch tv too. I've tried crocheting so to keep my hands busy while watching tv but of course you can always put that down for a handful of cookies. Embarassed
I was alone the other night, watching TT and ready to hit the snacks..............
made it thru the first 1/2 hr doing ok THEN told myself that I'm not gonna give into it. The second 1/2 half of the show I got down on the floor during every commercial break and did exercises. Situps for 1 commercial, leg lifts for another, etc. I knew commerical breaks were long but it seemed like hours doing those during them. Sad WHEW!

Remember that even if you have a little setback, just keep moving forward.
I have alot of weight to lose also. It's so overwhelming! Sad
Pat yourself on the back for every little accomplishment you achieve.
Make little goals so that the long haul doesn't seem impossible.
We can do this !!!!!!
LuckyWriter

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Eat better during the day Reply with quote

Hi Stacy,

While losing all my weight (over 300 pounds) to my present 125ish, I found that eating in the evening wasn't an issue provided I ate well during the day. I am very fortunate that I don't have much of a sweet tooth. Being dairy allergic has also been a huge blessing as well.

My food choices (which I was losing and continuing right along now) are high quality protein, lots of different kinds of veggies and fruits, small servings of rice or pasta (or other starches occasionally). I found that for me, protein was key. If I got enough protein during the day, I was fine. Some great doctors at UCLA did a study and determined that the vast majority of people trying to lose weight don't get enough protein--probably because proteins also tend to have more fat calories. But, when people began eating a lot more high quality protein, they also began losing weight.

Something to think about.

As for what to do when you watch TV, get on your treadmill or exercise bike. I use my Total Gym workout time to watch news. Don't get bored when you are watching TV. There is so much on today that isn't interesting and doesn't keep your mind occupied, that it's very easy to get bored and start thinking about eating. Don't let that happen. Work out. Read a book. Catch up on correspondence. Pay your bills. Pick a topic and research it online. Do anything that engages your mind or body and keeps you from focusing on food.

The other thing is--stop thinking you are on a diet. You're not, or you shouldn't be. You are getting fit and healthy. Diets fail because they are temporary. Focusing on getting fit and healthy gives you something besides loss of pounds and inches to work toward. Walk 1 mile at a power walk pace and see how long it takes your breathing to return to normal--then improve on that. You get the idea. You are working to improve your own health and fitness and extend your life. When you know why you want to get fit and healthy and start to focus on that, it will begin to work. Knowing why might just be the most important thing of all. Until you know the why the comes from inside you--not the one your doctor or family or friends tell you--you will yo-yo up and down. People's "why" for weight loss differ. But once you know it deep in your gut, then you know you have the tool to lead you to success.

Good luck to all.
Denisey143

Total Posts: 56

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey stacey, never give up! You can do it, even if you feel the need to munch 1 night. There's always tomorrow. And drinking tea to help with the cravings is a very good helpful idea. Even if u cut up some veggies or fruit or have some fat free popcorn on hand, it will all help! Don't feel guilty or shameful for having temptation for 1 night, you've lost 11 lbs. so far! Keep it up! Very Happy

~~No turning back~~ If you fall off one day, hop right back on! *Thinner days are ahead* We can do this! Smile
littlewitch12003

Total Posts: 29

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: remember Reply with quote

we all are tempted and we all tend to fall off the wagon, but when you do get right back on ! and remember one day at a time. i have lost 10.4 pounds since starting ..........yippy..........thanks for all the support guys ....................you're all wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!1

elaine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> 100 Pounds and More to Lose Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com