Welcome to Rate My Plate!     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

You bet - you can plan your own meals and make healthy substitutions. If you want to check in on your meal planning - go ahead and post some of your meals here in the Rate My Plate board!

You can use your meal plans as a guideline for calorie ranges and portions. Or, you can take what you like from the meal plans and leave behind what you don't! Don't forget to check out the alternative meal ideas and meals in minutes guide too!

Happy meal planning,

Shauna

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
cblyth

Total Posts: 28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're going out for supper to the Keg this weekend. I know I can have a garden salad to start and I can substitute my baked potato for extra asparagus but when it comes to steak I'm not sure what is the leanest cut. If I have to I could have chicken but the whole point of going is that they have great steak and everyone else will be having that. Smile

Thanks for the help,
Charlene
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carlene,

First, keep in mind that "petite" is usually 8-10 ounces - enough protein for a day! So, cut the steak in half and save the rest for another day!

Filet mignon, sirloin, flank and tenderloin are lean cuts and cutting off any visible fat will help too!

In general, anything with "loin" or "round" in the name are lean cuts.

Let us know what you ordered!

RDShauna

SvelteMe

Total Posts: 302

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to eat the same things all the time because itís easy and fast. I live alone and work in a fast-paced environment where my lunch times have to be flexible (assuming I get one at all). I also donít get home until 7:00, so I donít have a lot of time for preparation. I donít cook much (don't do it well and it just seems a waste when it's just me) and donít even like taking the time to cut up veggies, so I usually buy them pre-cut in party trays. Iím vegetarian and avoid milk if I can taste it, but otherwise will eat any eggs or dairy.

I lost a lot of weight quickly in March and April, but have sort of reached a plateau for a couple of months. Iím not sure how many calories this is, but itís what I was eating until I became a premium member a few days ago and so is the basis for what is ďnormalĒ for me. But my energy levels have been getting pretty low, so Iím looking a my nutrition to see if that's where the problem lies.

I tend to eat:

(6 am) Luna bar and caffeine-free diet coke for breakfast (before my morning workout)

(9 am) 1 oz almonds for a morning snack

(anywhere from 11 am to 3 pm) 3 cups of raw veggies (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, celery, broccoli, snap peas with 1 tsp ranch dip to make the broccoli edible) for lunch at work

(3 pm to 5 pm or when I feel hungry) fat-free yogurt and fruit (berries or dried apricots) for an afternoon snack

(7 pm) frozen entrees or sandwiches (frozen burger substitute, hummus, or peanut butter, occasionally with chips and/or fruit (berries, banana, watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes) and/or string cheese for dinner.

Occasionally Iíll have a 100% juice with a snack or as a snack, but generally I just drink water besides that morning cola (I need it to be human in the mornings... thereís no caffeine or sugar, so I guess itís the cold bubbles, but spritzers or juice just doesnít work). I generally drink 56-64 oz water a day. And sometimes I have a second cola in the evening.

Sometimes I will splurge on a half bagel (or half bagel with egg, cheese and tomato) or scone or mixed fruit cup in the morning. The place I work sometimes has leftover food from client visits that can be a temptation.

Occasionally (maybe once every couple of weeks) in the evenings I get an urge for something or some type of flavor that I canít tell what it is, and try this and that to satisfy it, but usually end up either out of options or too full to keep trying. Canít say that Iíve ever found what that something is.

I notice that others on this message board have mentioned health issues, so I will add that as well. After losing that chunk of weight and my slightly high blood sugar and cholesterol did not go down, I have to take medication for those (high pre-disposition to both diabetes and high cholesterol, even though I'm vegetarian). I also take medicine for acid reflux and allergies and am supposed to be monitoring my blood pressure (slightly high at the doctors, but normal at home). So I am also keeping an eye on sodium levels to avoid taking still more drugs for the blood pressure!

Any advice? Thanks!

Mindle

DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it certainly looks like you are getting plenty of fresh and colorful fruits and veggies - nice job Very Happy (I know you are vegetarian but you'd be surprised at the number of vegetarians who often do not include enough produce!)

It is common to reach a plateau and it may take several weeks after making some changes to move past it. However, you will need to shake things up by eating a little less or changing exercises or adding more exercise. You can always run your exercise routine by Dr. Diet in the Coaching Corner.

To be able to estimate your caloric intake, it would help if you could post one "normal" day with an estimation of portion sizes for each meal and snack.

As a general rule of thumb, try to eat every 3-4 hours (it looks like you are doing a good job at this). If you go longer than that inbetween meals, plan a small snack. In general, meals should be 300-500 calories and snacks 100-200 calories.

From glancing at your typical meals, it looks like you could add a little something to one of you morning meals such as a yogurt or soy milk with your almonds.

I strongly encourage you to use the diet.com meal tracker to track your meals and also include your hunger and satisfaction level. People who regularly track their meals tend to me more successful.

As far as your medical conditions go, how much weight did you lose or what percentage of weight did you lose? Losing 5-10% of your weight can lead to improvements in cholesterol and blood pressure. However, it may be that your family history makes that a little tougher to do.

Watching sodium is always important and you should also know that eating plenty of whole grains, fruits, veggies, calcium and fiber can help lower blood pressure too!

Please post a day of your specific meals and I will take a look!

RDShauna

OwlShoes

Total Posts: 75

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: help please Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm not exactly new to Diet.com, but it's the first time i've visited this forum, b/c I didn't really know that it was accessible for me. I've been on the plan for 19 days, and haven't lost ANY weight. I'm following it up till the last thing, really not eating sweets, and exercising. I am a former? meal skipper, and a fresh starter, and a persistent procrastinator. I'm really working hard, and exercising, and NEVER procrastination on my health, but the weight REFUSES to budge down.
I am so frustrated. I am usually very happy, but once in a while the "doom" catches up to me and I feel very sad, like now.
I read that you don't have access to out trackers, so I can post what I've eaten and mabye you can give me some advice.
I'm 5 foot 2 and weight 155. (unfortunately, i've actually gained weight on this program.

I'd also like to mention that though there is no place to write it in my tracker, I drink on average 6 bottles of water a day--I've got the times planned out for the water and everything. I thought it is a brilliant schedule I made myself, working around the things I usually have to do during the day, but I can talk about that later, b/c now I need to know if I'm not eating correctly, or if I'm doing everything wrong, so here is my tracker entry for today>
I'll post it in a second...

Oh, please please please, Julia, get your act together and stick to your resolutions.....
OwlShoes

Total Posts: 75

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: continued Reply with quote

My Meals Tuesday, September 19th, 2006

Time Meal
07:00 am
Breakfast
1/2 grapefruit
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
1 piece of toast. Edit

10:00 am
Morning snack
1 cup of grapes Edit

01:00 pm
Lunch
1 hard boiled egg
salad leaves with a tsp olive oil, 6 cherry tomatoes, sparsely pine nuts, and 1/2 avocado. Edit

04:00 pm
Afternoon snack
banana Edit

06:35 pm
Dinner
water-packed tuna with eggplant salad. Edit

09:00 pm
Evening snack
1/2 grapefruit Edit

Oh, please please please, Julia, get your act together and stick to your resolutions.....
STRIPER243

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: RATE MY PLATE Reply with quote

HI I'M NEW TO DIET.COM AND I KNOW I HAVE A GOOD BIT TO WORK ON. I HAVE NOT BEEN EATING RIGHT BECAUSE I WOULD USUALLY SKIP BREAKFAST AS IM RUNNING OUT THE DOOR FOR WORK IN THE MORNING. THAN IT WAS A FIFTY FIFTY CHANCE FOR A DECENT LUNCH MOSTLY FAST FOOD. AND THAN DINNER WAS MY MAIN MEAL FOR THE DAY. AS YOU WILL PROBABLY SEE I HAVE NO PROBLEM DRINKING WATER AND I USUALLY WORK OUTSIDE AND AS IT GETS WARMER I WILL BE DRINKING MORE FOR SURE. ANYWAY I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO EAT RIGHT AND JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SEE HOW MY CHOICES LATELY STAND UP TO WHAT I SHOULD BE SHOOTING FOR.
12:00 am
Breakfast
Milk, reduced fat, fluid, 2% milkfat, with added vitamin A
12 fl oz, 366 grams, 183 calories, fat 7 grams

Water, municipal
1 cup (8 fl oz), 237 grams, 0 calories, fat 0 grams

kasahi go lean bar, 1/2 bar, 140 calories, fat 2.5 grams Edit

12:00 pm
Lunch
Water, municipal
36 fl oz, 1066 grams, 0 calories, fat 0 grams

natures own 100% whole wheat bread, 2 slices, 100 calories, fat 2 grams

chicken salad, 100 calories, fat 2 grams

mixed greens salad, 2 cups, 15 calories

1000 island dressing fat free, 4 tablespoons, 90 calories
Edit

04:00 pm
Afternoon snack
Snacks, trail mix, tropical
2 oz, 57 grams, 231 calories, fat 10 grams

Water, municipal
8 fl oz, 237 grams, 0 calories, fat 0 grams

Edit

08:00 pm
Dinner
gortons grilled fillets garlic butter, 1 fillet, 100 calories, fat 3 grams

canned carrots, 1 1/2 cups, 75 calories

potatoe and chedder pierogies, 1 1/2 servings, 5 pieces, 255 calories, fat 2 grams

diet a&w root beer, 12 oz can
Edit

View all Meals Print Meals Total Colories: 1289
Total Fat: 32 gram(s)

STRIPER243
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Striper243 and welcome!

Sorry about my delay in answering this - I think it got kinda lost at the top Very Happy

Based on what you've told us about your previous eating habits, it looks like have made some huge changes - which is super!

First, I would like to ask - how are you feeling? Are you feeling satisfied with your current meals?

I also want to point out that you are doing a nice job balancing your meals with healthy carbs and protein.

Here are a few suggestions:

--perhaps try 1% milk at breakfast - it has less saturated fat. It isn't necessary to go all the way down to non-fat milk.

--try adding a piece of fruit some where in your day - maybe at breakfast when you are ready or as a snack.

--maybe try roasted potatoes or brown rice as a compliment to fish.

Keep up the great work!

RDShauna

dahl28

Total Posts: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard sometimes to get meals in because I'm still a student, but how does this one look? it's a preatty typical day, although if I do get stressed or have to stay up to late I tend to eat candy but I make sure I only eat a serving size, I weigh right now 141lb

08:00 am
Breakfast
Cereals, QUAKER, Instant Oatmeal, maple and brown sugar, prepared with boiling water
1 packet, prepared, 155 grams, 157 calories, fat 2 grams

Morning snack
Protien bar
cal 150, fat gram 2.5 Edit

01:00 pm
Lunch
Salad dressing, italian dressing, reduced fat, without salt
1 tablespoon, 15 grams, 11.5 calories, fat 1 grams

Salad mix
1 cup 8.4 cal, 0 fat grams

black beans
1/8 cup 28 cal, 0 fat gram

kidney beans
1/8 cup 25.78, 0 fat gram

corn
1/8 cup 20.48, 0 fat gram

goat cheese
1 oz, 76 cal, 6 fat gram
1 hard boild egg
77.5 cal, 5.3 fat gram Edit

05:00 pm
Afternoon snack
Carrots, raw
1 cup, strips or slices, 122 grams, 50 calories, fat 0 grams

Broccoli, raw
1 spear (about 5" long), 31 grams, 11 calories, fat 0 grams

Salad dressing, ranch dressing, fat-free
1 tablespoon, 14 grams, 17 calories, fat 0 grams

06:00 pm
Afternoon snack
Apples, raw, with skin
1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb), 138 grams, 72 calories, fat 0 grams

sugar free peanut butter
1 table spoon, 95 cal, 8 fat grams Edit

07:00 pm
Dinner
Chicken breast, oven-roasted, fat-free, sliced
200 grams 158 calories, fat 0 grams

Cheese, parmesan, grated
2 tbsp, 10 grams, 43 calories, fat 3 grams

Steamed veggies
1 cup, 75 cal, 0 fat gram

09:00 pm
Evening snack
Malted drink mix, chocolate, powder
1 serving (3 heaping tsp or 1 envelope), 21 grams, 86 calories, fat 1 grams

Total Colories: 1162
Total Fat: 28 gram(s)
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

It looks like you are choosing healthy foods and doing a nice job at balancing your meals and eating frequently.

I did notice however, that your total calorie intake is below 1,200. Most health professionals recommend not going below 1,200 calories a day. Doing so makes it harder to meet your nutritional needs and going too low may not meet your basic calorie needs, which can set you up for cravings and slow your metabolism.

That said, to boost your calorie intake just a bit, you might try:

--adding fruit to your oatmeal or preparing it with non or low-fat milk
--add a whole grain roll or crackers to lunch
--add brown rice with dinner

I understand how being a student can sometimes make meal planning a challenge! Feel to pop in here anytime!

RDShauna

violetlouise

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Here goes... Reply with quote

Here is my meal plan for yesterday. I am breastfeeding a 7 month old, but he is also eating solids now. Is this enough food?

08:00 am
Breakfast
Cherry yoplait light yougurt 100calories and 0fat

Morning snack
Apples, raw, with skin
1 small (2-1/2" dia) (approx 4 per lb), 106 grams, 55 calories, fat 0 grams

Edit

Lunch
Chicken Salad Sandwich on Roll
1 cup, chopped or diced, 140 grams, 491 calories, fat 9 grams

Lunch
Baked Veggie Crisps 130 calories 5 grams fat

06:30 pm
Dinner
Tilapia breaded baked 200 calories 8grams fat

Dinner
Brown Rice 180 calories and 1.5 grams fat

Dinner
Steamed Veggies Edit 25 calories and 0 grams fat

View all Meals Print Meals Total Colories: 1201
Total Fat: 26 gram(s)

DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Violetlousie,

I am happy to hear you are looking out for your health and congratulations on your new little one! Unfortunately, Diet.com is not for pregnant or lactating women. Calorie restriction is typically not recommended for breastfedding mothers as they require adequate calories to nourish themselves and their baby.

I encourage you to check in with your OB-GYN regarding his/her recommendations for your current situation. When you are finished breastfeeding, please come back and visit us!

Take Care,

RDShauna

Carebear946

Total Posts: 120

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just kinda wanted to know how I am doing nutrition wise. This was my day today.

Bananas, raw
1 large (8" to 8-7/8" long), 136 grams, 121 calories, fat 0 grams

Snacks, granola bars, oats, fruits and nut
30 grams 119 calories, fat 2 grams

09:00 am
Morning snack
Crackers, standard snack-type, regular
37 cracker, bite size, 22 grams, 111 calories, fat 6 grams

Lunch
Fish, tuna, light, canned in water, without salt, drained solids
87 grams 101 calories, fat 1 grams

MISSION FOODS, MISSION Flour Tortillas, Soft Taco, 8 inch
1 serving, 51 grams, 146 calories, fat 3 grams

Lettuce, iceberg (includes crisphead types), raw
25 grams 4 calories, fat 0 grams

Cucumber, with peel, raw
0.25 cup slices, 26 grams, 4 calories, fat 0 grams

Peppers, sweet, red, raw
.25 cup, sliced, 23 grams, 6 calories, fat 0 grams

03:00 pm
Afternoon snack
Carrots, raw
1.5 cup, strips or slices, 183 grams, 75 calories, fat 0 grams

06:00 pm
Dinner
Entrees, fish fillet, battered or breaded, and fried
1.5 fillet, 137 grams, 317 calories, fat 16 grams

Salad dressing, thousand island, commercial, regular
2 tbsp, 32 grams, 118 calories, fat 11 grams

Fast foods, salad, vegetable, tossed, without dressing
1.5 cup, 207 grams, 33 calories, fat 0 grams

Corn, sweet, yellow, canned, whole kernel, drained solids
.25 cup, 41 grams, 33 calories, fat 0 grams

Cauliflower, frozen, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt
.5 cup (1" pieces), 90 grams, 17 calories, fat 0 grams

KRAFT VELVEETA Pasteurized Process Cheese Spread
0.5 oz, 14 grams, 42 calories, fat 3 grams

Kerry
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carebear946,

It looks like you are off to a good start! Your lunch and dinner looks balanced and nice job on adding those veggies! Here are a few suggestions to balance out your meals:

--maybe try adding non-fat milk, soy milk or yogurt to your breakfast
--maybe try adding low-fat string cheese or cottage cheese to your am snack
--maybe try pairing carrots with a little hummus or pack some apple slices
--you could even add a piece of fruit or yogurt to you lunch.

How are you feeling overall?

RDShauna

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com