Welcome to Rate My Plate!     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Welcome to Rate My Plate! Reply with quote

Greetings from your loyal Diet.com registered dietitian!

Starting a new diet plan can feel overwhelming! You want to make sure you are eating the right foods, balancing your meals right and making healthy long term food choices. I am here to help make good nutrition fun, easy and tasty!

Whether you'd like me to review your entire day or just one meal to see if you are on the right track, simply follow the instructions below. I will take a look at your day, answer any questions you have, and make some simple suggestions for better meal planning. Remember, every choice counts!

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Post your meal plan for the day here.
2. I will review your question, meal or recipe and provide general feedback.
3. Cut and paste meals from your Meal Plan Tracker to save time!

Disclaimer

The review will provide you with general information that will be made public in this forum. RDShauna will not be giving any specific medical advice. If you have specific medical concerns about your dietary needs, please contact your primary health care provider.

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
br83835

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Rate My Plate Reply with quote

It was suggested that I submit my daily intake with you because I work night shift (11 p.m. to 7 a.m.) and need help loosing weight and getting my exercise in.
For breakfast, I like toast, peanut butter and honey with juice of some kind, which I've modified to toast and pure coconut cream concentrate and grapefruit segments.
I eat this when I get home from CNA work about 7:30 a.m. I then sleep till about 2 or 3 p.m. It usually takes me a while to clear the fuzz when I wake up. I'm not unusually hungry, but tended to snack alot on whatever in the house...my downfall is ice cream if it's in the house...I've taken to eating more fruit and no sugar sherbert. I eat the evening meal w/my family...usually a meat dish, vegetable or salad...perhaps a potato, but I really don't care for that much. Then as I wake up more, I will munch b4 I go to work...usually on KiX or Honey Nut Cheerios...lots of Diet Pepsi, altho I've been substituting more H20 recently.
It's at work that's bad...I drink coffee until 3:30 a.m. along with popcorn, an occassional candy bar and sweets brought in by the rest of staff...there's an ice cream machine in house (wouldn't you know it?)...so about a cup of that a nite
My chloresterol is high...Lipid Profile: cholesterol: 234; HDL: 77; Triglyceride: 67; and LDL Calc: 144
My family history is one that most members run high chloresterol...so lots is genetic...but I would like to lose weight and adjust diet to compensate this problem w/o taking medications
I just had a blood test for the chlorestoral readings etc...it also showed that my alkaline phosphatase registered at 23 (35 - 104 U/L)
I joined diet.com last week...in that time, I've just made two changes...I've substituted some foods for others (increased fruits and veggies) and started walking more (3x) for more than 30 minutes a session. I've lost 5 lbs
I need some suggestions to keep my energy level up ... the night hours I enjoy, but seem to do a number on my metabolism. Otherwise, I am in great health...
Any suggestions? This is my meal plan most of the time...I'm very in a rut!
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Diet.com and congrats on the changes you have made so far!

First, some general advice about your eating schedule:

--The goal is eat regularly spaced meals (healthy of course!) that work with your schedule. We recommened going no longer than 4 hours in between meals, if you tend to go longer than that then a planned snack is in order! Eating regularly helps keep you satisfied, keep your blood sugar levels steady, keep your energy up and prevent over-eating.

It looks like your day begins at 2-3 pm and ends at 7:30 am. A sample schedule might look like:

Meal 1: 4-5 pm

Meal 2: 7-8 pm

Snack: 11 pm -12 am

Snack: 3-4 am

Meal 3: 6-7 am

This is just an example of course, you may adjust it to better fit your needs.

You are starting off with a planned breakfast that has healthy items, just a few suggesitons:

--use 100% whole wheat bread and maybe try light vanilla yogurt instead of coconut cream. Coconut is high in saturated fat and calories. You could add a couple teaspoons of coconut flakes to add coconut flavor but not a lot of calories or fat. Nice job on adding the fresh fruit vs. juice! Fresh fruit is preferred because of it's low-calorie and filling fiber content.

Some tips for the rest of your day:

--It looks like a little planning will really help. Try looking through your meal plan and other diet.com meal ideas, we have a lot of tasty and healthy meal ideas to choose from. We even have a grocery guide to help you choose healthy brands. You can start slowly by choosing a couple of meal ideas to try, making a grocery list and stocking up.

--Keep tempting foods out of the house: out of sight out of mind! Let your family know your goals and ask them to help.

--Also talk to your family members about dinner meals - perhaps you can trade off and let them choose a couple of meals per week and you choose the rest. Use the picnic plate method by filling half your plate with veggies, 1/4 with whole grains and 1/4 with lean meat or vegetable protein.

--Take healthy snacks to work so you have healthy options. Our Meals in Minutes guide has some great examples! Keep fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, low-fat string cheese, baby carrots and whole grain crackers on hand. For portion controlled sweets try fudgesicles, Nabiso 100 calorie snack packs, applesauce cups, fat free pudding cups or fruit juice bars.

--Wear a pedometer to work and track your steps. You can try and add more steps each day!

--Nice job on decreasing the diet soda and adding more water. Keep your water bottle with you at all times to encourage more water intake. Try making a goal each week on how much water you will drink. For example: this week I will replace 1 more can of soda with one bottle of water.

Setting a few mini goals each week will help you succeed! Small goals add up and are much more manageable, achievable and realistic!

Also, tracking what you are eating helps keep you honest and focused. Jot down what you are eating at work and enter in your Diet.com Meal Tracker later! Then, you can cut and paste your meals (post as a new post) here in the Rate My Plate and I will take a look!

Good luck Very Happy

RDShauna

lynn schiavone

Total Posts: 13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: WHat am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

SHauna;
Here's a sample day menu. I only lost 5 lbs since 9/30 on 12-1300 calories per day and exercising 3-4 x week. NOw what?
09:35 am
Breakfast
Apples, raw, with skin
1 large (3-1/4" dia) (approx 2 per lb), 212 grams, 110 calories, fat 0 grams

12:00 pm
Lunch
Crustaceans, shrimp, mixed species, cooked, moist heat
5 oz, 142 grams, 140 calories, fat 1 grams

Rice, brown, medium-grain, cooked
0.75 cup, 146 grams, 164 calories, fat 1 grams

Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted
0.5 cup, chopped or diced, 70 grams, 116 calories, fat 3 grams on top of salad w/low fat dressing 45 calories

Edit

03:35 pm
Afternoon snack
Candies, milk chocolate
1 bar miniature, 7 grams, 37 calories, fat 2 grams

Edit

06:35 pm
Lunch
Egg, whole, cooked, omelet
1 large, 61 grams, 93 calories, fat 7 grams

Margarine-like spread, SMART BALANCE Light Buttery Spread
3 tablespoon, 42 grams, 142 calories, fat 16 grams

Cauliflower, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
2 cup (1" pieces), 248 grams, 57 calories, fat 0 grams

Egg, whole, cooked, omelet
1 large, 61 grams, 93 calories, fat 7 grams

Cheese, pasteurized process, american, with di sodium phosphate
1 slice (3/4 oz), 21 grams, 79 calories, fat 7 grams

Edit

09:30 pm
Evening snack
diet hot cocoa- 50 calories
7 low fat crackers - 70 calories
one no sugar added chocolate pudding-100
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lynn,

First of all, congratulations on losing 5 pounds! It looks like you are losing about 1 pound per week. A 1-2 pound weight loss per week is considered healthy and safe by health professionals. Of course, everyone is different but your scale is headed in the right direction! In addition, a 5-10% weight loss can lead to big health improvements.

It looks like you are making healthy food choices for the most part. Here are some healthy highlights and suggestions:

--Perhaps try adding another item to breakfast such as yogurt, nuts, a granola bar or whole wheat toast with a little peanut butter.

--Lunch looks like a good mix of lean protein, healthy carbs and veggies!

--Snack - perhaps try planning a healthy snack here. This may help keep you satisfied into the nighttime hours. Some ideas: yogurt and fruit, veggies and hummus, low-fat string cheese and whole grain crackers, handful of nuts and low-fat popcorn. Or, check out our ideas listed in the Meals in Minutes Guide.

--Dinner - you might try adding a source of whole grains such as whole grain toast, brown rice or whole wheat pasta. Nice job on the quantity of veggies here. Make sure to try and get a variety of colors each day Very Happy

--Snack - you might try adding a source of fiber or whole grains to help keep you satisfied. For example, make hot cocoa with non-fat or low-fat milk or soy milk, a piece of fruit with the pudding or a little peanut butter with the crackers.

It looks like you are on your way to healthy meal planning and conquering some of those Fruitless Feaster strategies! Feel free to submit your food intake here anytime!

RDShauna

elle_l

Total Posts: 20

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Hee's my meals for the past 3 days Reply with quote

I've been jogging every morning for 30 minutes and when I weighed in Friday morning...no weight loss! Shocked Suggestions?

TUES:
08:00 am
Breakfast
Cereals ready-to-eat, KRAFT, POST GRAPE-NUTS Flakes
0.75 cup (1 NLEA serving), 29 grams, 106 calories, fat 1 grams
Milk, nonfat, fluid, with added vitamin A (fat free or skim)
1 cup, 245 grams, 83 calories, fat 0 grams
Oranges, raw, navels
1 fruit (2-7/8" dia), 140 grams, 69 calories, fat 0 grams

10:00 am
Morning snack
2 kiwi (92, 2g)
coffee w/ cream & Ideal You (40, 3.5g)

11:30 am
Afternoon snack
Slimfast snack bar (120, 4g)

1:30 pm
Lunch
frozen lasagna (180, 3g)

3:40 pm
Afternoon snack
raisins (42)

7:30 pm
Dinner
Shrimp & veggie pasta (whole wheat) (491)
beer (153)
8:30 pm
Evening snack
Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich

Total Colories: 1516
Total Fat: 11 gram(s)

WEDS:
09:00 am
Breakfast
light smoothie (160)
coffee (40, 3.5 g)

Morning snack
apple 72
slimfast snack bar 120, 4g

1:40 pm
Lunch
spring greens 1.5 cups w/ tbsp of dressing (85, 8g)
SmartOne Salsbury Steak (200, 9g)

3:15 pm
Afternoon snack
pear (4Cool
spicy nut snack mix (140, 9)

6:30 pm
Dinner
sandwich-wheat bread, 2 slices of chicken, light swiss, mustard, lettuce
nonfat milk Edit

7:15 pm
Evening snack
candy

Total Colories: 1521
Total Fat: 42 gram(s)

THURS:
08:30 am
Breakfast
cereal w/ nonfat milk (150)
banana (72)
coffee w/ cream & Ideal You (40, 4g)

Morning snack
slimfast snack bar

12:20 pm
Morning snack
orange

01:30 pm
Lunch
smartone pizza 290, 11g
mixed greens w/ dressing 90, 8g

03:30 pm
Afternoon snack
coffee w/ cream & Ideal You (30)
apple (72)

06:45 pm
Dinner
Fish, salmon, coho, wild, cooked, moist heat
5 oz, 142 grams, 261 calories, fat 11 grams
Lettuce, green leaf, raw
3 cup shredded, 108 grams, 16 calories, fat 0 grams
Whole wheat 200
butter-like 15

08:00 pm
Evening snack
Alcoholic beverage, wine, table, white
2 glass (3.5 fl oz), 206 grams, 171 calories, fat 0 grams

Total Colories: 1436
Total Fat: 41 gram(s)

DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi elle_l

It looks like you have lost 5 pounds total since October 10th....Congrats!

If this is the first week you have not lost weight, that's okay, hang in there...not every week is the same.

Also - I see that you are a Meal Skipper, nice job on regular meals! You must be working on your strategies.

Here are a few healthy highlights and suggestions:

--It looks like you are making a lot of healthy choices and working on balanced meals.

--Try to add veggies to at least 2 of your meals and snacks. Your fruit intake looks good!

--You might want to post your exercise routine in the Coaching Corner and Dr. Diet will give you feedback. A lot of people find it helpful to increase the intensity or duration.

--You might also try subtracting 100-200 calories a day. An easy way to do this is to substitute veggies in place of higher calorie snacks such as raw veggies and hummus or vegetable, broth based soup. The veggies will help keep you full (due to their water and fiber content) despite cutting calories Very Happy

Keep using your tracker and keep us posted on your progress so we can give you additional suggestions!

Good luck Wink

RDShauna

elle_l

Total Posts: 20

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RD Shauna! Can you give me suggestions for veggie snacks? I think that's where I am weak. I don't know what kind of veggies and what kind of snacks.

DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bet!

First, at some point check out the Meals in Minutes Guide - it has 14 100-calorie and 14-200 calorie different snack ideas!

Here are some additional ideas for veggie based snacks:

--Broth based vegetable soup
--Fat-free cottage cheese with sliced tomatoes, cucumber and a slice or two of avocado spinkled with lemon pepper
--Baby carrots and celery with hummus
--Sliced red and green bell peppers with fat-free bean dip
--Cucumbers, broccoli and cauliflower with low-cal dip (mix fat-free or light sour cream with ranch dip mix)
--Grilled veggies (left over from dinner) with Mrs. Dash marinade drizzled over them (make extra so you have left-overs)

You might also try posting a topic in the Exchange Recipes board for other member's favorite veggie snack Very Happy

dciocca

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: typical day Reply with quote

Let me know if I am on track.

Breakfast - Small glass juice, multi-grain (Kasha) breakfast bar, piece of fruit (banana, apple), coffee (1 cup) with international delight creamer.

Lunch: Lean Cuisine lunch size or salad with balsamic viniagrette and 2-3 slices of turkey or can of albacore tuna (drained) with rye crackers.
I usually have some fruit at lunch (mango, orange).

I drink water during the day.
I sometimes have an afternoon snack but not usually (too busy).
If I do, it is a piece of fruit, some almonds, or a 100-calorie snack pack.

Dinner:
This varies. Best case scenario: Chicken breast, salad, 1 cup of noodles or rice or small baked potato with 1 tablespoon of light butter and 1 tablespoon of light sour cream (I know....I'm bad), and 1 or sometimes 2 servings of vegetables - green beans, zucchini, sometimes peas or corn (bad?) or maybe a broccoli mix. I try to limit my salt intake - I used to use massive amounts of salt. I drink a glass of one percent milk with dinner.

After dinner I sometimes have a glass of one percent milk with hershey's syrup to satisfy my sweet tooth.

That's about it. This would be an ideal day. Sometimes we eat out and that is another story. And occasionally (about once a month) I have to have fried chicken, but try not to eat the coating.

What do you think? Thanks! Smile
Debbie C.
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Debbie,

I am sorry I didn't see your post up here until now Embarassed

It looks like you are planning healthy, balanced meals and hopefully enjoying them!

And, congrats on losing 15 pounds, you must feel so great!

A few comments/tips:

--If you plan a lean cuisine, try adding some extra veggies (salad, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, snap peas, or whatever you enjoy!). Or, you can add the fruit there too.

--Your baked potato topping choices are okay! You are choosing light versions and they look like reasonable portions.

--Corn isn't bad! I like to recommend using it as a sub for starches. For example, having corn on the cob instead of rice. It also tastes great on a salad!

--Pay attention to how you feel between lunch and dinner. If you notice you are hungry but just don't have time to eat....try putting a visual reminder some where! Your snack ideas look good - almonds and an apple or fruit and yogurt or a 100-calorie pack with low-fat string cheese will work and are easy to eat!

--Nice job on adding milk to dinner and after dinner - way to get in your calcium Very Happy

--Like the 2 servings of veggies at dinner! That is only about 1 cup total!

Feel free to check in anytime Very Happy

Shauna

floydpoomba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Please rate my plate Reply with quote

01:00 am
Breakfast
turkey sandwich with mustard, tomato, lettuce on whole grain

07:00 am
Morning snack
edamame

05:00 pm
Dinner breast chicken,
sauteed mushrooms,
steak fries

7pm .. Step Class

09:00 pm
Evening snack
2 waffles
light syrup

I work the overnight shift, hence the strange hours.
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi floydpoomba,

It looks like you are making some heatlhy choices. Here are a few suggestions to improve balance, etc:

--I'm not sure if dinner was eaten out, however, if it was, you might ask for a dinner salad with light dressing on the side instead of steak fries. Or, a side of fruit.

--It looks like you could add some fruits and veggies. For example, try adding a piece of fruit to your sandwich or baby carrots. Or, top your waffles with berries.

--It looks like you go a long period of time inbetween breakfast and your snack. You could add another mini meal here. Since you have room to add some dairy, you could try a yogurt with high fiber cereal, fruit and walnuts or a half of peanut butter and all-fruit jam sandwich on whole wheat with yogurt or milk. Then you could add a little to your snack, such as cottage cheese or low-fat string cheese and sliced red peppers or cherry tomatoes.

How are feeling? Are you feeling satifisfied?

RDShauna

floydpoomba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I am feeling full and satisfied.
I have been trying to add an extra snack between my early snack and breakfast. I'm getting better at it.

Thanks for the suggestions!!
vsandsbury

Total Posts: 145

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't have any menus planned out yet. I need to go to the grocery store this evening to stock up. Laughing I have a general question. I have read the menus and the grocery list. I know how many calories to consume with each meal and snack.(to watch the transfat). Could I buy different foods that AREN"T on the menus and the grocery list. As long as I stay in the guidelines of what I am suppose to eat. For example, buying smart ones, Weight Watchers, as long as I am following the guideslines. I will make sure I make better choices that include fiber. Thank You
vsandsbury

VSANDSBURY

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com