Help...starving but no progress????     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SophieGR

Total Posts: 40

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Help...starving but no progress???? Reply with quote

Hi everyone....

I'm new to this site. I have been trying to lose weight fast because I am going away in 2 weeks. I started dieting 2 months ago.

I'm 5 foot 7 and was 167 pounds. Now I am 147 (without clothes....lol). My goal is 128.

I basically went on a sugar free jello diet. I ate that all day but I would cheat on some days with grilled chicken salads or out to dinner at Chili's

My problem: I've been the same weight 147-148 for 2 weeks! I basically eat less than 500 calories a day!! How is it possible NOT to lose weight??? I know your metabolism slows down and you don't lose weight bla bla bla.........but if that were true why are anorexics toothpics????

I mean am I right? I don't plan on continueing this way its just that I need to lose weight fast but it seems that I'm stuck.

SophieGR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its unhealthy its just the only way for me. I simply don't lose....believe me. I've tried everything. Crying or Very sad

I'm now 33 but I've been dieting since I was 16. I was never really that much overweight but there were periods in between when I was 10-15 pounds over. I would diet and very slowly it would come off. Now for some reason I gained 35 pounds!! I tried the slow healthy thing and nothing. I eventually lost 15 of those pounds but now I am stuck on 147 for 2 weeks!

Everyones body is different. Mine doesn't respond to anything.....not even starving apparently....which is very very weird! I mean I am losing but a pound a week Shocked

DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1974

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SophieGR,

It sounds like you have a past of yo-yo dieting or crash dieting. This can put your metabolism and your body on a roller coaster ride. In the beginning, it may have been easier to lose weight but as you continue to lose weight drastically and regain it, your body and metabolism are put through stress. What usually ends up happening is a drastic measure to lose weight, followed by frustration (your body's way of saying, I need more food, I am going to stop this weight loss for awhile!) and then weight regain.

Yo-yo dieting usually causes more weight gain each time and is harder to take off each time. I really encourage you to embrace healthy eating- your body and metabolism will thank you for it! If you think you may have an eating disorder, please discuss this with your personal physician so that you can receive appropriate treatment. Anorexia and other disordered eating patterns are serious and should not be taken lightly.

Going below 1200 calories a day puts you at risk of nutritional deficiencies. Everyone’s calorie needs are different. How much you need to maintain or lose weight will depend on various factors such as weight, age, gender, activity level and genetics.

Losing more than 1-2 pounds per week often signals water loss which is temporary and will return! Eating too few calories can lead to water and/or muscle loss. This is not the goal, fat loss is the goal!

Please know that the Personality Diet teaches you a healthy way of eating for life and no foods are forbidden. In addition to offering meal plans, you are given strategies to address your eating, exercise and coping patterns- all essential to long term weight loss.

Good luck to you Very Happy

RDShauna
Diet.com Registered Dietitian

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
SophieGR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the advise...I appreciate it.

I have been yoyo dieting for a while but not often. I do this starvation thing once a year towards summer. The reason I gained so much weight was because I ate "normally" like other people. It seems that the only way I can be the way I want is to eat very very little (1200 calories max when I am not dieting).

Losing more than 2 pounds a week cannot be just water loss. I was 165 and now I am 146. It can't be all water loss. If it were every time I ate normally I probabely would be 165 again.

When I do diet I eat healthy. Brocolli.....jello....grilled chicken salad.....boiled shrimp....grilled zucchini......egg whites with spinach....etc. I might eat ONE of those things every other day even if its a tiny portion.

I am far from anorexic...I just want to enjoy my summer in Greece and feel good about myself agian. Even if that means behaving like an anorexic for 2 weeks and eating less that 500 calories a day.

jenlazycook

Total Posts: 87

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Please don't starve your body Reply with quote

SophieGR,

You CAN lose weight and still eat healthily and exercise. I'm doing it, my friend here in town is doing it, and a lot of us here on diet.com are doing it. I've lost 12 pounds so far and I do not feel deprived. I am making healthy eating choices (most of the time!) and am slowly developing a more active lifestyle.

If you eat so little for a couple of weeks, your body will think it is starving and you will have a boomerang effect later and want to eat lots of things and end up gaining weight back. PLEASE PLEASE PUH-LEEZ think of your long-term health and consider a more moderate eating plan. There IS a happy medium between eating so that you gain weight and eating so little that you are starving yourself.

Also, you don't have to be skinnier to have a great time in Greece! Very Happy Greece doesn't care what weight you are! You can decide to be happy and healthy at your current weight and work a little bit at a time toward a healthier weight for you.

RDShauna has great advice. And I really like the diet.com of mini-goals -- taking on a bit at a time and gradually changing habits over time. This way they are more likely to be permanent.

Good luck with pursuing a healthier lifestyle.

-- Jen
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1974

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice words of wisdom Jen, thanks!

SophieGR,

Why not try to include those heatlhy food you mentioned on a daily basis? Also, including exercise and strength training will help boost your metabolism. However, you need to be fueling your body properly to get that boost. Think of it is this way....carbohydrates are like a flame, this flame is what starts fat burning... Very Happy

You do not have to be very underweight to be anorexic. Anorexia is a disease charaterized by disordered eating. We just have your best interests in mind here.

Eating normally is GOOD! Bouncing from eating normally and starving is what can disrupt your metabolism. I am sure you lost a combination of fat, muscle and water. However, research shows that rapid weight loss and/or eating too few calories usually yields a higher percentage of muscle and water loss.

Be proud of your body, think of all it has done for you and how strong it is! I encourage you to practice positive self talk each day by naming at least 2 things you like about your body!

Have fun in Greece!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
mackadoodle

Total Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAUNA, JEN, AND KATE are right, Sophie! The info Shauna has given you is correct...and her advice good. If you are looking for someone to agree or believe that starving is the only way for you, it's not going to happen.

Nobody wants to argue with you for the heck of it. They just care...and don't want to see you treating yourself so poorly.

You say you gain when you eat like a normal person...however a normal person eats. Many people do not know how to eat healthily! Maybe instead of comparing your eating to what you think is a "normal person's" way of eating...you could learn how to eat healthily. You say your 500 calorie diet is healthy, because you eat a healthy item every other day or so? THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A HEALTHY 500 CALORIE DIET.

If you would take the time to learn how to feed your body properly...and develop good eating & exercise habits...you could be at your goal weight very soon...and stay there this time! Then you wouldn't be going thru this crazy, dangerous starvation thing every time you feel fat. YOU COULD BE FABULOUSLY FIT YEAR-ROUND!! How nice would that be?
SophieGR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mackadoodle....RDShauna....Jen....CSL-Kate!

I understand your concerns. I will be careful not to over do it.

Jen Greece might not care what weight I am but I will care when I am invited to go to the beach.....LOL. Most people there have amazing bodies. Imagine what I will feel like. My whole summer will be ruined because I will simply avoid going to the beach with company and Greece is known for thier amazing beaches!

When I reach my goal I plan on eating "normally" but I will be careful not to gain it back by being active and eating healthier. Until then I have no choice but to eat fewer calories. I have 10 more days to go!

By the way from the time I posted I have lost a few more! I am now 144 Smile Smile

SophieGR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone......hope you're all making progress Smile Smile As for me.........

I am still 144 and it is July 6th! I've stalled again Sad

I have eaten out on July 4th but nothing too much...maybe 1800 calories and no desert (at Chili's.....LOL). That might have set me back Sad Yesterday I ate jello all day and half a bannana and today I had 4 bowls of lentil soup. Trying to get back on track.

I read online that not drinking enough water might stall weight loss and that adding certain vitamins and nutrients might help. Starting tomorrow I am going to add flax seed oil...Lcarnitine....L-glutamine...a multivitamin.....and Cromium Picolinate to my diet. I am also going to drink water which I haven't been doing much of and limit my carbs to 0 on alternate days. Lets hope this all works because I am leaving on Monday!!!

I will let you all know how it goes Smile Smile

mackadoodle

Total Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez loo-eez Sophie. Such crazy, unhealthy dieting. I can't wait till you get this vacation over with...and start taking better care of yourself.

This is a site where, healthy eating & exercise are strongly encouraged!
Again, I don't think you should expect anyone to be excited for you, that you're losing weight by starving yourself. Sugar-free jello has practically ZERO nutritional value! You might as well not be eating at all. The banana you had yesterday was about 1/12th of the calories & nutrients you need in a day. The O-carb plan is very unhealthy as well.

This site is all about BALANCE! People here are working VERY hard to make permanent healthy lifestyle changes!! I, for one, do not appreciate your endorsement, on these boards, of such extreme, unhealthy, dangerous measures. In fact, its rather disturbing.

Please, when you get back...take the time to learn how to eat properly!
Not how you think "normal people" eat...or what you think "eating normally" is...or what you heard is healthy...but truly take the time to learn how to feed your body well.

RDShauna & Dr. Diet know their stuff! Trust them!
And I will be happy to help any way I can too. Have a good time in Greece!
SophieGR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do eat........ people! LOL

Trust me I might try to eat jello all day but I will nibble on a few healthy things throughout the day. I am not encouraging what I am doing to others it's just that this is THE ONLY WAY for me. I have ALOT of experience with my own body and dieting. I've done it all.....including the 1200 calorie and excersise route.....everything. As for nutrients I'm taking a multi-vitamin every day.

Today I weighed myself and I'm 143 Smile Smile I will be perfectly happy with 135. Once I reach 135 I will start eating very healthy mediteranean seafood!

Smile

camphikefish

Total Posts: 519

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: eating people, huh? Reply with quote

I do have a few pounds to spare...

Drink half your body weight in water. For me, I weigh about 195 right now. So half of that is 93 oz. I have found that when I do well with the water intake, I loose the weight.

It helps to drink 8oz or so in the morning, first thing. Then be sure to drink an hour before and an hour after eating. (My vitamins are powder and go into my first glass of water. One glass down and a few more to go!)

The water helps the cravings, helps keep the body hydrated, flushes toxins from the body, and helps the digestive process.

After the first few days of needing to go to the bathroom often, it usually slows way down (the need).

I have a water bottle that is 20 oz, that I use. I find that I can suck down the water through a straw much easier than I can drink it from a cup. Laughing

Add something else to your diet - jello alone is not good for you! Do you put fruit into your jello?

Have fun in Greece! I don't know about you, but going to the beach, I am there for the sun, the water, and the warmth...and I always see people that are bigger/different from me but who are there to have fun!
SophieGR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camp.....

That is exactly what I'm not doing...drinking enough water! BUT I'm starting NOW.........lol Smile

About the beach thing if worse comes to worse I'll just wear a giant wrap around Smile

camphikefish

Total Posts: 519

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Weu weu! Reply with quote

I am SOOO glad that you are drinking more water! You might have a few pound gain initially, but that is water weight and it will fall off.

Do not forget the sunscreen!

Be yourself, love yourself, and have fun!

Soon to be slender Sara!

SophieGR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone....guess what?? I am now.......uhummmmm........141.5!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

I guess all the research online and some of everyones advise worked!!

1.Adding more water
2.Adding Flax seed oil.....which is good for your heart and helps get rid of fat (what a combo).
3.Adding L-Carnitine which assists in the transport of fat. Helps overcome low energy levels and the tendency to gain weight. Also good for the heart and metabolism Smile
4. Adding L- Glutamine...helps build muscle...and aids in metabolic stress.
5.And ofcourse a low calorie diet

Excersise I haven't done in over 2 weeks but I plan on it when I get to Greece!

My digital scale says 141 but my regular scale says 138??? Are digitals innacurate?? hmmmm

Anyway 2 more days to go!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com