Starting the gluten free meal plan and am lactose intolerant     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tygoldstein

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Starting the gluten free meal plan and am lactose intolerant Reply with quote

I am the mother of 4 beautiful boys, 7 yr old, 3 1/2 yr old and twin 15 wk old. While I love them all dearly, I do not enjoy the weight that I put on while pregnant with them! I have celiac disease and have been on a gluten free diet for 12 yrs. I just started the gluten free meal plan two days ago. I have noticed that my biggest fear has come true, I may be lactose intolerant as well. On this meal plan there is a lot of cheese and milk. I am still feeling very bloated after I eat, and I know it is not gluten. I have always thought that I might be, and this confirming my speculations. I really want to lose weight and this diet plan seems like what I need. Any suggestions on what to do to help w lactose issue? I would hate to have to eliminate more from my diet, gluten free already makes eating no fun!
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Welcome! I hope you find the meal plan helps you assuming you can feel good enough to enjoy it! Given you're having symptoms, as you've already figured out, it's probably likely you are lactose intolerant to some degree. There are a few things I can suggest you do for starters.

There are tons of milk substitutes out there now, anything from soy to almond to coconut milk are all great substitutes for milk. And they all have at least just as much calcium, if not more than a cup of milk does. Just look for the unsweetened versions to avoid excess calorie intake. You can also try Lactaid milk and lactaid or soy cheese products. In general, hard cheeses are tolerated better by most people regardless of a lactose issue (not for all though), and yogurt is generally well tolerated by even those that can't tolerate other milk products. You can also try and use Nutritional yeast as a substitute for cheese, it provides the same flavor profile without the lactose and only about 60 calories a serving.

Finally, you could also try taking Lactaid pills. They supplement your gut with the enzymes needed to break the lactose down which can significantly improve your tolerance to milk-containing products.

Try a few of these things out and let me know if they help at all or if you have any other questions. I'd love to be able to work with you to reach your weight loss goals and have your gut feeling good too!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com