Sharing meals with non-dieting family     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Err26

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Sharing meals with non-dieting family Reply with quote

It is just my husband and I, but he can eat whatever he wants, and likes to eat anything that is bready, cheesy, and/or fried. He is usually unwilling to eat vegetables. How can I enjoy good food with him, while not losing control of my eating? Please keep in mind, I like the same foods as he does, I just get fat....
CSL-Bailey

Total Posts: 1097

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Err26,
Good for you for wanting to eat healthier - now if only we could get your husband on board!! Wink

It's a shame your husband won't eat vegetables - they're a vital part of a healthy diet! He may end up facing some pretty serious health problems if he continues his bready, cheesy, fried, "no vegetables allowed" eating habits! I'm glad that you have recognized that these foods aren't doing you any favors and won't help you reach your goals!

I think it will be most important for you and your husband to find some common ground, so that the two of you aren't preparing two completely separate dinners everyday or doing two separate grocery shopping trips. Check out our Diet.com Recipes section for over 1,000 different healthy recipe ideas.

Browse our Diet Expert Blogs and Nutrition Expert Blogs (under the DIET and NUTRITION navigation tabs up there ^^) for advice on how to eat healthy. The "Healthy Families" expert blogs (in the Nutrition section of Expert Blogs) may help guide you in the right direction here!

I also found this set of Diet.com tips that may be useful:

Healthy Dieting for Couples:
http://www.diet.com/tips/113//HEALTHY+DIETING+FOR+COUPLES%21/

This set of tips is also relevant for you:

Tips to Take Control of Your Diet:
http://www.diet.com/tips/98//TIPS+TO+TAKE+CONTROL+OF+YOUR+DIET%21/

There are many more tips to browse through as well - check them out under the DIET, NUTRITION and FITNESS tabs up there ^^ in our top navigation!

I hope to hear more from you soon!

All the best,
CSL-Bailey
Wink
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I don't think you're alone in this struggle! It's only natural for most people to enjoy all things delicious and less healthy for us. It's important to find a balance so you're not cooking two separate meals every night and drooling over hubby's meal while you eat salad Smile

The trick is to make small changes over time and ease your husband into enjoying healthier versions of his favorite foods. Try setting small goals like including at least one fruit and one vegetable into every day and work your way from there. Also remember, portion control is key. Even on nights when you're not trying to persuade him to eat his carrots, focus on keeping your portion small and supplementing with salad or veggies to stay on track.

Here are a few ideas for making lower calorie versions of less healthy foods: Bake chicken coated in whole wheat bread crumbs, use skim milk and reduced fat cheese in recipes that call for their cream and whole fat cheese counterparts, and skip or use half of the butter or oil that a recipe calls for. (He'll never know the difference!)

Another tip for rice and pasta dishes is substituting half of the white rice or pasta with whole grain or brown rice and then slowly increase the ratio until you're using all whole grain starches. You can also hide veggies in recipes. You can try pureeing carrots and mixing into cheesy dishes, try subbing out half of the potatoes with well steamed and pureed cauliflower, and make your own baked french or sweet potato fries using just a little bit of oil and baking until crunchy.

It might also help to express to your husband that healthy eating is a priority and it would be great to have support in your weight loss goals. Maybe once he sees how committed you are and how great you feel, he'll want to jump on the healthy eating bandwagon too.

Check out the recipes here on diet.com together and see what he might be willing to try first and then start experimenting with different ways to lower the fat in every day unhealthy foods. Soon enough you'll both be enjoying healthy meals together!

Good luck!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com