Wheat intolerance and substitutions?     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Wheat intolerance and substitutions? Reply with quote

I have a wheat intolerance and possibly celiacs (as all my symptoms lean there) and my Dr said since I cannot afford the colonoscopy copay ($350) that if it is celiacs they will just put me on a gluten free diet, and since I already cannot eat wheat I basically am doing this anyway (was not faithful on it but now have to be)... My question is since I have set up the Gluten Free meal plan on here what type of substitutions can I make for certain things that I do not like; cottage cheese, jelly, mushroom... I also have acid reflux (managed by prilosec)so I cannot drink coffee but do drink tea (fat free chai latte, need the caffeine am in college). If I omit something from a meal can the calories from my chai just take that place?
I am just starting this FULLY GLUTEN FREE diet, and it can be a bit overwhelming so any suggestions are welcome!
Thank you
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the gluten free diet is tricky to navigate through, the good news is that there are sooo many more options out there in every grocery store than there ever were before. Just be sure to look at the nutrition label to make sure you're not buying things just because they're gluten free, and then throwing you off track diet-wise. As far as substitutions on the gluten free diet, you can certainly swap out some foods and replace them with things that you prefer. At the end of the day, it's all about calories in v. calories out so as long as you're replacing a few things with something that has similar calories you're all good. Have you double-checked the ingredients in the chai that you're drinking to make sure there's no gluten in it? Just figured I'd ask because sometimes those ingredients are tricky to identify!

As far as following the gluten free diet, if you have any specific questions about certain foods or additives, feel free to email me any time! It can be a tricky diet to figure out, but I'm available whenever you need for some extra guidance Smile

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com