Too tastey to be healthy...     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarryV

Total Posts: 7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Too tastey to be healthy... Reply with quote

I just made a salad for lunch... and when I was done eating it... I sat there thinking... this was way too tastey to be actually healthy.

The salad consisted of baby spinach, 4 sliced baby carrots, some banana peppers (from a jar), a small sprinkling of raisins, some fresh mushrooms, a grilled (on a George Foreman) chicken breast boneless (obviously) and some ranch dressing. It wasn't fat free ranch and I actually poured a little more in there than I wanted to... it just got away from me cause it was a bit runnier than I expected. But I don't know a for sure measurement.

Any clue on if this was actually healthy for me as a lunch meal? Thanks!
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

All in all, it's not a bad salad at all. The spinach, carrots, banana peppers, and mushrooms are all very low in calories (~25 calories per cup each), the grilled chicken was probably somewhere between 150-200 calories, 2 Tbsp of raisins are approximately 50 calories and Regular ranch will run you about 140 calories in 2 tablespoons (these numbers will go up or down depending on the exact serving). Leaving you with an estimated total of about 450 calories for lunch, which is right in the ballpark of what a meal should consist of (I usually encourage about 400 calories for lunch and dinner), and like I said, this estimation may a little bit different with different measurements.

Overall, it's a very healthy option for lunch, it's packed with fiber-rich, low calorie veggies and lean protein. My only recommendations would be to make sure you're measuring how many raisins you're adding and if you want to keep using whole fat ranch, pre-measure it before you pour to give yourself a little bit more calorie control. Just as a recommendation, I usually make my own ranch dressing with fat free sour cream, skim milk and Hidden Valley Ranch mix, it's delicious and low in calories!

I hope this helped! Feel free to send along any other meals for a health evaluation!

Meghan

ranch:2 tbsp 140

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
CarryV

Total Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much! I would usually go for like... the fat free Ranch, but I got this bottle for free from my mom when I went home this past weekend... and lets face it... as a college student free salad dressing is free salad dressing ha ha! But thanks so much! I finished eating my salad today while I was at school and I looked at one of my friends and said "Whenever I run out of salad... it makes my heart sad".... he thought I was nuts ha ha but the salad is really just that tastey!

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com