Intolerant of many foods...need substitutions     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BronteNH

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Intolerant of many foods...need substitutions Reply with quote

Need some advice....

I have a significant intolerance to ALL artificial sweeteners (including Splenda). Most of them trigger my migraine headaches, and some cause serious GI issues. So I have to avoid them all completely.

I also have an intolerance to other foods: soy is a problem due to hypothyroidism, MSG triggers migraines so most lunch meats, packaged diet meals, and canned soups are out, and eggs, most cheeses (ie cottage cheese),melon and protein or diet "shakes" cause nausea.

In addition, there are many foods that I just do not like and cannot bring myself to eat: salmon, mushrooms, avacado, mayo, asparagus, brussel sprouts, crab meat, spicy or ethnic food, and many others.

Any advice on how to modify the meal plans here and/or where to find alternatives to create personalized meal plans easily?
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Having so many intolerances can definitely make following a meal plan tough! I'd be happy to help you find a way to balance between weight loss and food not making you sick!

It's good you already have a good sense of what foods trigger symptoms. For starters, would you mind letting me know what a typical day of eating for you is? In what ways are you changing your diet/cutting back for weight loss?

It sounds like most "basic foods," ex. meats, beans, dairy and fruits and vegetables (aside from the ones you don't like) are all tolerable. Are there any foods in any of these categories that cause symptoms? What other foods do you tolerate well?

Weight loss in general is all about reducing the calories you consume, so I think it's important that you stick with safe foods and just monitor the calories in those foods. So I would definitely switch out packaged meal suggestions with their more homemade counterpart and that way you control the ingredients that are being added. I know a lot of diet foods/low calorie foods have artificial sweeteners in them, and there's more and more popping up every day! You can still lose weight by choosing the more natural version, it will just be important that you watch your serving sizes and really count those calories.

Once I have an idea of the foods that you like and that you can normally tolerate, I'll see what other suggestions I can make for you.

I look forward to continuing to help you navigate these diet alternatives!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com