Substitutions     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jewltone

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Substitutions Reply with quote

Can you suggest substitutions for these items in a salad? I know if I just eliminate them from the recipes I will loose some sort of benefit.

Garbanzo beans
Mushrooms
Onions
Bell or Green Peppers
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

There are many substitutions for these ingredients in salads. Are you looking for alternatives because you don't like these particular foods?

For starters, here's what each of these foods provides:

Garbanzo beans: Fiber and protein
Mushrooms, onions and peppers: vitamins, minerals and fiber, (and extremely low in calories).

The good news is there are tons of other foods that provide these components that you can add to a salad to a hot meal or just eat by itself!

Let's start with beans:
Any sort of protein would be a good substitution for this, are you a vegetarian?

If so, any other beans or legumes would provide the exact same benefit as garbanzo beans (black beans, cannelini beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, or mixed bean salads....the list goes on and on. Other options you could choose are things like edamame (soy beans)or nuts and seeds.

If you're not a vegetarian, foods that would provide valuable protein include chicken, plain tuna fish, hard boiled eggs, cheese (have to watch the amount), or any other kind of meat. These foods don't have the fiber that the beans do, but they're a great source of protein.

As far as the veggies are concerned, any other vegetable that isn't starchy (such as potatoes, corn, peas and winter squash) will provide the same amount of calories (about 25 calories/cup) as the ones listed above. It's important to get a variety of colors in your veggies, so you could try carrots, cucmbers and tomatoes instead of those other veggies. Other veggies to try on your salads could be broccoli, cauliflower, beets, roasted veggies, summer squash....once again, the list is endless!

I hope this answers your question, but if not, please let me know and I'll do what I can to help you out!

Meghan

Can you suggest substitutions for these items in a salad? I know if I just eliminate them from the recipes I will loose some sort of benefit.

Garbanzo beans
Mushrooms
Onions
Bell or Green Peppers

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com