Low carb diet     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Low carb diet Reply with quote

A Diet.com member recently asked.....

Hi,

i am recently getting back into a new diet program. It has been about 3 weeks. I have about 25 pounds left to lose. Recently i have been following a lowcarb program and it has been working well for me. I have lost 15 pounds already. However, i was wondering what your viewpoint is on lowcarb diets. I have started to add blueberries back into my diet just in the morning but aside from that it is quite restricted to eggs, tuna/chicken salad, salad w chicken, cheese, fish, veggies and atkins bars as snack and small amounts of skim milk in coffee. Do you think its worth it to continue this or go back to a more stabilized diet including oatmeal fruit nuts etc?

Please let me know!
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Low carb diet Reply with quote

Hi,

Low carb diets are a great way to jump start weight loss, however, they are not appropriate for long-term use. Your body needs glucose which comes from carbohydrates, and a majority of the weight you lose following a low carb diet is known as "water weight".

I would definitely encourage you to start increasing your carbohydrate intake each day. That being said, it may take some time for your body to adjust back to that way of eating. Don't be discouraged if you don't continue to lose weight quickly like you have been. Make smart carbohydrate choices like fruit (fresh - watch intake of juices and dried fruit), whole grains (you can choose grains such as light 100% whole wheat bread (40 calories per slice!), low carb wraps or pitas (such as Joseph's - those are the best ), oatmeal, brown rice (keep it to 1 cup cooked) and beans. These are all great sources of carbohydrates that are rich in fiber and other great nutrients that proteins and fats can't provide.

In order to continue losing weight, you want to make sure you watch your calorie intake. If you want to send me your height, weight and age, I'll be able to provide you with a calorie goal that will promote sustainable weight loss overtime. Once you have a goal for weight loss, you can track your intake using Diet.com's meal tracker, which can break down your calorie intake at each meal.

Congrats on the weight loss so far! If you have other questions, please feel free to email me back and I'll be happy to help you as much as I can!

Meghan

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com