Frequent Traveler     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlgoogs

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Frequent Traveler Reply with quote

I travel about 90% of my time for work, mostly via airplane...need advice of eating healthy while on the road with little to no control over food options and often running between flights. Thanks
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Frequent Traveler Reply with quote

Eating on-the-go can definitely make sticking to a weight loss diet challenging. The goal is to set yourself up for success by becoming aware of what healthier food choices are no matter where you are; be it the airport, a hotel complimentary breakfast or at a restaurant.

Let's start with the airport:

Snacks from home:
While dairy products are not good things to take if you won't be eating them for a while, whole fruit, or canned fruit packed in it's own juice are things that can be out of the refrigerator and still safe for consumption. You can also make yourself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that can be low cal and a great snack (try 2 slices of light 100% whole wheat bread, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and 1 tablespoon of low sugar jelly) that will come in just under 200 calories and provide healthy fats and protein. You could also make yourself a homemade trail mix that could include air-popped popcorn, whole grain cereal, ~1/4 cup of mixed nuts, 1/4 cup of dried fruit and anything else you can think of. Popcorn is a great snack in general because you can have up to 3 cups for under 150 calories. You could also bring a protein bar with you (any kind under 200 calories).

When buying food in the airport:

First things first: Watch serving sizes. Most individual bags of snacks available have more than one serving per container and the calories can add up very quickly. Not only are they multiple servings, they can be much higher in fat and sodium as well, particularly when you are multiplying by 2 or 3! Avoid highly caloric beverages such as specialty coffee drinks, regular sodas or juice or any of those "fortified" waters that have calories. Always, always look at food labels to see what you're getting yourself into. As far as kiosks or restaurants in airports; Choose salads with protein (avoid the extra add-ons such as croutons, wontons, dried fruits, etc: they can really bulk up the calorie content) with low fat dressing or oil and vinegar. If you're not in the mood for a salad, choose a protein and double vegetable for an entree or avoid sandwiches that are loaded with mayo or served on rolls or wraps (more calories than you would ever guess). Choose sandwiches on slices of bread for more controlled calorie intake. Try and include vegetables and/or fruit at those meals and if there is fresh fruit available, take a piece to go. As a rule of thumb, keep snack choices under 200 calories and meals under 400 calories.

As far as eating out, whether it's in hotels or at a restaurant, there are a few key things to remember.

While you can't control what ingredients are added to a meal, you can control how much and what types of foods you choose. Simple things to avoid at a breakfast meal: Stay away from pastries or pre-made breakfast sandwiches. Whose whole grain cereal with low fat milk and a piece of fruit, oatmeal, a breakfast sandwich with 1 egg and 1 slice of cheese on an english muffin (no bagels!), a yogurt with fruit or whole grain toast with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter. While juice is a good source of vitamins, it is also high in calories and sugar. If you need your glass of juice in the morning, keep it to 1/2 cup 100% fruit juice.

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Frequent Traveler continued Reply with quote

For lunch and dinner, the same rules apply. If you are watching your calories, there are a few things that will add more calories to your meal that you may not realize. I would avoid any sandwiches that are loaded with butter, come on a roll or a wrap. I would avoid pasta dishes (particularly ones with cream sauces), unless you are able to only eat at most half of what the serving provides, and I would avoid fried foods most of the time. By focusing more on consuming fruits, vegetables and lean protein, you will be saving many, many calories. If you would like to incorporate a starch, choose a baked or sweet potato, beans, or a small (less than 1 cup) of rice or pasta. Also be aware of appetizers, bread and butter, and desserts. These things are all allowed, but you want to make sure you are aware of how much you're eating and you want to cut back on the fat and starch in your main meal. Good appetizers to choose include broth-based soups, a garden salad, a vegetable and hummus platter and baked chicken skewers. Any desserts that are primarily fruit based are smarter choices than richer options. Also, be aware of beverage consumption, the average glass of wine (5 ounces) is about 125 calories.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com