I need a little help     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: I need a little help Reply with quote

A diet.com member recently asked....

So I've been trying this diet thing for almost a month, I joined this website along the way and it helps me keep track of things, but I don't know how to eat. I'm a vegaterian, but not for health reasons. I love animals always have so I've never ate meat. But where I'm living we eat in a caferteria, but there are tons of options, fresh fruit and vegetables everywhere... but for some reason I head straight for the cheese pizza, onion rings, fries, grilled cheese sandwiches, and pasta I love pasta. I don't really know the healthier options or even how to get on a plan. Is there some way you can help me or give me advice?
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: I need a little help Reply with quote

Hi!

First of all, congratulations for starting to get your eating on track. I know it's hard, especially when you don't have control over how things are prepared. Second of all, it's totally normal to be drawn to the pizza and fries, they generally taste and sound more appealing than a nice big salad. The problem with that is those foods are loaded with calories, fat, saturated fat and sodium....all things that need to be limited.

The nice part is you do have those less fun foods available to you, which is great because you don't have to worry about buying them. The trick is to start slowly transitioning your food choices from the less healthy to the more healthy.

I would suggest starting by adding a piece of fruit or a vegetable to all meals. After you get into the routine of eating fruits and vegetables on a daily basis, it may be easier to start replacing those other high fat foods. Here are some healthier choices you could try for each meal:
Breakfast:
-Egg whites or omelet with veggies and 100% whole wheat toast and a piece of fruit (You can do whole eggs, but limit yolks to 4 per week)
-1 cup of whole grain cereal with low fat milk and a banana
-Make a parfait with low fat yogurt, 1/4 cup cereal and cut fruit (any kind)
-Oatmeal with 1/4 cup dried fruit

Lunch and Dinner:
-Try to get a vegetable at both meals
-Veggie burger on 100% whole grain bread with lettuce, tomato and onion
-1 slice of pizza topped with veggies and a salad
-A big salad with beans, hard-boiled eggs and/or cheese (to get some protein) with low fat dressing
If you want to do pasta, treat it as a side instead of the main part of the dish (stick to about 1 - 1 1/2 cups at any meal) and make sure you choose low fat sauces like red sauce and add veggies to it. Another thing to remember with pasta: skip the bread

The goal for any healthy diet is eating well balanced meals. You want to make sure you are getting at least 2 servings of fruit and day, 3 servings of vegetables a day, choosing lean protein, low fat dairy products and keeping added fats and sugars to a minimum. You want to try and get protein at all meals through foods like milk, yogurt, cheese, eggs, soy beans, tofu, beans and nuts.

Making healthy choices needs to be a lifestyle change, so take things slowly so you can maintain it. Start by making sure you're getting those fruits and veggies and then each week make one to two new changes (or more if you're ready!). If you give me some examples of what types of foods are usually available to you, I'd be happy to give you some further guidance based on your food preferences and choices. If you have other questions, feel free to get back to me.

Good luck with everything and I hope to hear from you again!

Thanks!
Meghan

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com