What causes you to "mess up" on your diet?     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShannonKristine

Total Posts: 225

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: What causes you to "mess up" on your diet? Reply with quote

For me it is having too much free time especially in front of the TV!!!

I get a day off during the week and while my daughter is at school I like to watch all those trashy TV shows like Maury or whatever that I dont ever have time to watch usually and it just makes me want to eat! Especially salty foods!

I have to make a real effort not to snack! Usually now I will do some exercises while I watch TV.
evergray514

Total Posts: 21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much free time in general! Especially at work, when I work overnight sometimes I am basically sitting around and doing nothing, and there is always a ton of snacks, cookies, pretzels, etc...that the day shifters will bring in.

When I'm at home it's not as hard, because I purposefully do not stock my apartment with alot of food, and absolutely no sweets whatsoever.
svanjicki

Total Posts: 179

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: The weekends Reply with quote

Sometimes, no matter how hard I try, the weekends sabatoge me! I can have the best intentions and sometimes it just doesn't work out! It's the worst when I'm away from home and everybody goes out to eat or something.

~Sara
xo_ash_ley

Total Posts: 161

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My days off from work, suck for me! I like to work, and then go home and exersize! I dont know, it just makes a difference! But good luck everyone!
Kasssy

Total Posts: 156

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I have time to get back in front of the tube for my favorite tv shows ( Grey's Anatomy, Gossip Girls, Biggest Loser, heroes, etc ) In response to what you just asked?

FLUCTUATING SCHEDULE and availability of the food around me. I just basically battle between the CANTINA, 711 and Mcdonalds.

I took Mcdonalds away from my options though but yet still, there's just only PORTION CONTROL that I have to get in control with.
Sophie Hatter

Total Posts: 75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: What causes me to mess up on my diet? Reply with quote

Shifting schedule. I often have meetings all day or a break at an inconveinet time (10 am or 3:30 pm). It makes me more likely to try to eat when I am not hungry or wait until I am hungry and binge. Twisted Evil

I often am hungry when I get off work, so if I stop at the store on the way home I am likely to get a corn dog. Realizing this I have been walking away from the deli counter and grabbing some pre-packaged mushrooms or other pre-packaged veggie instead to calm the hungry tums.

Sophie
stown

Total Posts: 297

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say it is the availability of food. It's everywhere and mostly the wrong types of food for those watching their weight. It makes it difficult to stay focused. It truly takes a lot of determination. Very Happy
Zachs Proud Mama

Total Posts: 6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my downfall is my sometimes lack of willpower. I'm one of those people where if I see food, I eat it, whether I'm hungry or not. It's difficult to get past that and learn to listen to myself. Stress is another trigger, thats how I've always dealt with stress.

steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mess up on my diet. I will go through days and sometimes periods when I don't eat the healthiest things....but I don't mess up. That's because I don't actually deny myself anything. I control it, but I don't deny it. By controlling it, I eat less of the "bad" food than I would if I denied it. This attitude and the ability to do this comes with practice. And to be honest, as long as I thought of "messing up" my diet, the more likely I was to mess up my diet!

Instead, I enjoy a piece of candy, or a soft drink, or a piece of cake, etc from time-to-time. That way I don't have the guilty feelings that make me want to eat emotionally and then have more guilty feelings that make me want to eat emotionally, jut to have more guilt feelings after I step on the scale which makes me want to eat emotionally only to have guilt feelings.........Yikes! Glad to be off THAT roller coaster and instead be able to ride the Rockin' Roller Coaster in Disney World that goes from 0 to 60 mph in 2.8 seconds.....

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue
artisteyes

Total Posts: 289

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Steffey. When we think in words like "messing up", we see ourselves as being "good" or "bad." When we see ourselves as "bad" we feel mad at ourselves, and undeserving of success. So we just keep going in the wrong direction. "I messed up, Therefore I am bad, and I guess I am unworthy of success because I obviously don't deserve it, so I might as well just keep on the "bad" path."

I am finally learning, after years of this kind of black and white thinking, to see weight loss as a neutral, calmer, more grayish, not so black and white, path. Some days I do better than others, but nothing is black and white. I am never "OFF" the diet, It's all just various shades of gray. Gray is OK. It can lead back to doing better sooner. It keeps me going. Hope this helps.

tigersi

Total Posts: 770

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffy and artisteyes, you guys are SO right! I am you're typical all or nothing doer, a trait that my husband finds eternally irritating. But because of my tendency to be like that, I do see things such as my diet in black and white. This is a very difficult habit to break, but completely worthwhile!

My boss told me once that forgiveness equals freedom. Forgive yourself for those days when you don't do so well, and find the freedom that comes with that! That freedom will help you move forward and keep on trekking down that long weight loss road! You'll feel better about yourself and your choices! Everyone has an "off day". It's when you don't forgive yourself for that one day and move forward, that you run the risk of your off day turning into an off week!

Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

THOMAS ALVA EDISON
xo_ash_ley

Total Posts: 161

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm another for me is Jus eating a little more than I should. Like not cutting back enough. BUT I STILL LOST 3 LBS!! But food is just sooooo good. I enjoy every bit of it.
momzie101@comcast.net

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: "messing up?" Reply with quote

Every day seems to be a mess up for me. I try to get up and do everything right but before it's over I always mess up. Too many calories, too many carbs, too much sugar, it's just too hard. What am I gonna do? I need help. Please.
steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop! Stop! Stop!!!! Stop trying to do everything right. Just try doing one thing right for the next couple days or even a week! Change one thing at a time and then change one more. That way, you get to practice at it instead of being overwhelmed by ALL of it. The rest of the week ...well the weekend, just avoid one sugary snack and instead have vegetable sticks and cheese! Next week, cut sodas to just One a day...like a treat, so on and so on...before you know it someone will say something like, "I notice that you always eat so well. I wish I could be like that." and you will think...."Wow, I do eat healthy!! Woooohooooo!"

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue
DL21Smith

Total Posts: 314

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THATS RIGHT Smile Make yourself mini-goals to make it easier to get to where you want to be. some examples could be:

1) Work on drinking more water for a week until it gets easier
2) Keeping a food journal. Write down everything you eat to help you balance out your calorie intake.
3) Eat more fruit or veggies
4) workout atleast 3-4 times a week

The list could go on and on..
Just stick with one thing at a time! It makes things so much easier.

Good luck! Let us all know how you are doing.

Dana

Don't think you can. KNOW YOU CAN!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com