Ever get tired of thinking about food?     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyAph

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Ever get tired of thinking about food? Reply with quote

Sometimes, when I'm emotional, stressed, anxious - whatever...all I can think about food. Quite literally. I can be eating something, chewing on it and be thinking about the next meal/piece of food I want to eat.

I can feel my stomach is full but I'm just not satisfied. I know it's because I'm trying to quench emotions with food and not physical hunger, but sometimes it's just hard to stop.

Now, feeling like this hasn't happened in a while, but it does happen and when it does I eventually get tired of thinking about food. I can't stand when hubby asks what I want for lunch or dinner, it's like I just can't take thinking about food one more moment. Sometimes I think this is what any other addict feels like, except food is my addiction and not drugs or alcohol. If I were to think about alcohol/drugs in this same manner it would not be acceptable - but it's food, everyone can justify food.

Does anyone else ever feel like this?
Karmitallix

Total Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Always on the Mind Reply with quote

Yes, I also get very fed-up (pun intended) when I just can't seem to leave food alone. Although, I don't usually think about food when I already have some (I'm a blue moon emotional eater). For me, I tend to just think about food, how well I'm dieting, if my last meal was as good as it could be, if I've exercised, if I can spare a few more 100 calories, etc. And it's really awful to feel so obsessed. But I made the decision a while back that as long as I was either sensibly evaluating, participating in, planning, or learning about my diet & exercise, it was meritted.
About food addiction, you bring up a fabulous point. Where drugs & alcohol abuse are tabooed, it seems food is still a "safe" addiction and more accepted. I just wanted to point out that food is very different from other addictions. Someone can decide to give up smoking, drugs, or alcohol and never have any of these again, but a person suffering with food addiction cannot quit food. So they need to learn a way of managing their addiction by facing it every day.
-Danielle
resonance321

Total Posts: 10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Agreed Reply with quote

I feel like this a lot. It bothers me even more that when I went to go see a psychologist about it he leaned towards looking at problems with my marriage as being the reason for my emotional eating. I feel like he ignored the possibility that I was simply obsessed with food (albiet the emotional issue magnified it but still...even when I felt good I would thing about food food food). It seems that it is hard to believe to some people that it is very possible to be addicted to food. To me, that makes it even harder to admit the problem. It seems that no one else wants to see it as legitimate. Even my husband seems to think it is sooo easy to just stop it. Anyhoo...enough of my ranting Smile I just want you to know that I believe you, sympathize for you, and hope that you reach your goal. I wish I could give you advice....but my biggest thing is don't give up. Don't let one bad day...bad moment...ruin your motivation. You can do it!! Even if doing it takes one dayy or months longer than you thought. If you find yourself thinking about food...especailly believing that it is the only thing that can make you happy at that moment...think again. Think of something else that makes you happy. Find it...and clong to it. You have strength...you just have to find it, and build it up. I read somewhere that willpower is like a muscle. The more you use it...the stronger it gets.

Leah

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com