Fat burning vs cardio     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Fitness Fun - Tips and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PennyShine

Total Posts: 98

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Fat burning vs cardio Reply with quote

Yeah, I am confused!

Which one should I be doing - fat burning or cardio? I have about 50# to loose.

Why does fat burning keep the target heart rate lower?

Thanks!

In for a "Penny", out for a pound!
Spike99

Total Posts: 203

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Penny....

Many different ideas on which has more "value" (from a fitness perspective). For what little I know (and reading a book called "good life"), I would recommend the following "balance" for long term weight loss, and long term "lifestyle fitness" increase:

- Cardio increase on 1st day. Any high RPM exercise that raises one's heart rate and "opens the lungs" is a great thing. For example, peeddle bike with gears set very low - so legs are forced to spin very fast.

- Muscle build on 2nd day. With stronger heart and stronger lungs (from cardio exercises), then one can build muscle. Any resistant exercise (even peddle bike set on higher gears) is a great thing. Stronger (and larger size) muscle mass burns more fat. Even idle muscles burn more "extra fat" then no muscles at all. And, resistant training is great to lower one's Blood Glucose numbers as well (if one is a diabetec).

- Yoga / body stretches on 3rd day. This is what many experts forget to recommend. The muscles must be stretched. Yogo, stretching, large exercise ball following their provided video, etc. etc. Anything to ensure body joints are at their max moving geometry. And, their muscles are well stretched. For older 40+ folks (that include me - very sad), body stretching is a must.

Then repeat, Cardio, Muscle and Body stretching rotation again. Works for me.

Hope this helps in your research....
mackadoodle

Total Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fat burning vs cardio Reply with quote

PennyShine wrote:
Yeah, I am confused!

Which one should I be doing - fat burning or cardio? I have about 50# to loose.

Why does fat burning keep the target heart rate lower?

Thanks!

What do you mean by "fat burning" exercise vs cardio exercise? ALL exercise burns fat/calories.

Fat burning occurs when your overall caloric intake is less than your overall caloric expenditure.
Fat burning does NOT occur ONLY during a particular activity. If you remain in a caloric deficit daily/weekly/monthly... you will burn fat 'round-the-clock regardless of which exercises you choose to do.

A person can actually lose weight/fat while being a total couch potato... as long as s/he consumes fewer calories than required to fuel his/he sendintary lifestyle. HOWEVER - that is not a good idea because exercise is VERY important for MANY reasons. A NUTRIENT-DENSE diet COMBINED with a good workout program is very important to help maximize fat-loss WHILE keeping muscle-loss to a minimum.

CARDIO exercise is important for endurance and for overall cardiovascular health. And yes, it does help boost the metabolism.

RESISTANCE exercise(such as weight-training) also has many benefits:
Exclamation Builds strength.
Exclamation Helps shape & sculpt our physiques.
Exclamation Makes us firm (I believe the common term, here, is "toned") rather than skinny-fat.
Exclamation Prevents muscle-loss and preserves/increases muscle density to help support the skeletal structure... so that we can stand & walk erect all the way into and through our golden years.
Exclamation Prevents bone-loss and preserves/increases bone density to help avoid oteoporosis.
Exclamation And contrary to popular belief, also helps boost metabolism.

While all types of exercise burn calories, and aid in "fat-burning" its best not to be concerned with how many calories are burned during a particular activity... but rather to focus on the fact that an overall caloric deficit daily/weekly/monthly is very important for fat-loss. And that a good, overall, well-constructed workout routine, which includes BOTH cardio AND resistance workouts... will not only aid in 'round-the-clock fat-burning... but also has MANY, MANY, MANY other health benefits!
PennyShine

Total Posts: 98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the treadmill and a few other exercise machines, it has an option to fat burn or cardio.

Just wondered if there was really much of a difference.

I noticed that if I choose fat burn, it wants me to keep my heart rate lower than if i was doing a cardio workout.

In for a "Penny", out for a pound!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Fitness Fun - Tips and Discussion Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com