Sodium Free Salt     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulethomson

Total Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Sodium Free Salt Reply with quote

i LOVE salt. I have 7 different types of salt in my cupboard. I put them on everything. I've, even been known, on occasion to have eaten it straight. Therefore, it won't be surprising to learn that my sodium levels are insanely high.

What are your thoughts on low sodium fake salt? Are there other side effects that might be worse?

I'm thinking of the situation with sugar. Aspertame a sugar subsitute might be worse for you than actual sugar. Some experts claim that margerine is worse than butter. Is faux-salt worse than salt?

Please don't just say that I should just use regular salt but less of it. I know this is the case, but I'm an addict and need something while I break the habit.

Fwiw, I don't have high cholesterol or blood pressure from my sodium intake. Although I would be curious to learn how much water I'm retaining.

Thx.
Paul
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
While you might not want to hear my recommendation to TRY to cut back on your salt intake, that is the healthiest tip I have! Gradual changes won't feel (or taste) so drastic and it will help adjust your tastebuds instead of quitting salt cold turkey. Salt substitutes are not necessarily healthy and should be consumed in moderation. They contain potassium chloride which could be harmful to people on certain medications. Also, anything in excess is not a healthy habit.

It would be great if you could start experimenting with other herbs, spices, and seasonings to flavor your food, which might in turn help you use less salt. I find using hot pepper or garlic powder is a great way to flavor my food and I wind up using less salt.

Even if people have low blood pressure, it shouldn't be a free pass to consume high levels of salt/sodium, since it can have detrimental effects like water retention (which will hinder any weight loss attempts) and overload for your kidneys.

Also, not sure if you are a smoker, but many clients I've worked with who smoke also crave salt and use it in excess. When they cut back on their smoking, they find they don't need the strong flavor of salt as much and are able to cut back significantly! Just a thought for anyone out there who might be in that situation.

I hope this info helps! Try new ways to flavor your food and use salt substitutes in moderation. Let me know if you have any questions!
Dietitian Janel

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com