Fiber     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Fiber Reply with quote

A member recently asked,

"How do I know how much fiber I need to eat each day?"

Dietitian Janel
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiber is necessary in our diet for digestive health, and it is excellent for weight loss because fiber helps keep us fuller longer, so we're more satisfied and less likely to overeat or feel unsatiated after a fiber-filled meal.

A general rule of thumb is for 25-35 grams of fiber per day, with 25 grams being the recommendation for women, and 35 for men.

Eating plenty of fruits and veggies, whole wheat bread, whole grain pasta, beans, legumes, nuts and seeds is a great way to ensure you're getting adequate fiber. Aim for bread that has 2-3 grams of fiber per slice, cereal with 5g of fiber per serving, and even look for some pretzels and nutritious snack chips that have two or more grams of fiber per serving for a healthy snack!

When adding fiber into your diet, be sure to increase your water consumption as well.

What are some of your favorite high fiber foods?

Dietitian Janel

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
CSL-Bailey

Total Posts: 1097

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my fav high fiber foods is Total Raisin Bran - it has tons of fiber and 100% of your daily needs of tons of other nutrients as well. Compare the Total brand to several different brands of "Raisin Bran" and you'll see the difference in nutritional value!

All the best,
CSL-Bailey
Wink
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that cereal too! Anything with raisins Laughing And lots of other brands carry that same type of cereal.
Many Kashi cereals have a healthy dose of fiber, they're filling and taste fantastic as well. Right now I'm loving the Go Lean Crunch cereal - mixes in great with my yogurt breakfast and is lower in calories and fat than typical granola.

Dietitian Janel

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com