Dislike of fruit     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sylviasmiles

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Dislike of fruit Reply with quote

I do not eat any type of fruit. What should I substitute for it in my meal plans?
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question! Do you not like fruit? Do you have a fruit allergy? Or do you just not like the taste of whole, raw fruit?
If you're allergic to fruit, some people find that cooking fruit helps them tolerate it better. So you can bake apples or pears with cinnamon until they're soft, for example.
I love making fruit smoothies, especially in the summer. In a blender, mix frozen mixed berries, frozen mangoes, frozen pineapple, or any other fruit blend with a little fat free milk, yogurt, or vanilla soymilk. Blend and you have a cool, fruity treat to go!
You can also eat dried fruit, though the serving size is small (since the fruit is more compact and higher in sugar when the water is dehydrated out of it). Mini boxes of raisins are great for on the go. I love making trail mix with dried cranberries, apricots, almonds and cereal.
If you REALLY don't like fruit in any form at all, try to increase your intake of veggies to get those great nutrients, fiber, and antioxidants.
But if you're just uninterested in the standard apples, pears, bananas, and grapes, check out the whole world of fruit out there! Summer is a perfect time for ripe berries, cherries, kiwis, and melons. Go to specialty grocery stores to try fun new tropical fruits like starfruit or papaya, or even try mixing fruits into your veggie salad. I love spinach, strawberry and walnut salads.
Enjoy!
Dietitian Janel

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
sylviasmiles

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a severe adversion to fruit. I even had a Dr. suggest it was psychologically based! It includes a dislike of both the texture and taste, and no dried fruit doesn't work.

The one exception is bananas. I can't eat a banana but if its pureed I do love any kind of banana bread, banana muffin etc. I suppose I could try a smoothie with the banana but I would have to use a soy milk as I am somewhat lactose intolerant.

Anyways I do enjoy vegetables so I will substitute them in most cases.

Thank you
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bananas are great in smoothies. You can blend 1/2 cup fat free vanilla soymilk with one frozen banana and 1T peanut butter for a great tasting, filling and nutritious smoothie. When the banana is frozen it give the smoothie a better consistency.

Make sure you're eating veggies at all meals and snacks to ensure you're getting all of your servings and nutrients in. You can mix veggies into your omelet, have baby carrots with hummus for a snack, add spinach and zucchini slices to your sandwich, munch on cut up veggies and grape tomatoes before dinner, and make the bulk of your dinner meal veggie based, like in stir fry or a casserole.
Hope this helps!

Dietitian Janel

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com