Taking Back My Life. Need Guidance!     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmitchell123

Total Posts: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Taking Back My Life. Need Guidance! Reply with quote

I've been heavy for about 16 1/2 years my highest weight has been 264. I've made the decision to make a drastic change in my life. I see my daughters following in my steps. Not being athletic. I thought I was fairly healthy even though I'm heavy I still ran and played with the kids. I always asked my husband do you think I've gained to much weight, he always said no your ok.

I received a shocker when I went to the amusement park with my kids and I had to hold in my breathe for me to get on a ride with my 8 year old son. I refused to get off that ride and embarass my son and myself. Along with noticing my new aches and pains. I have alot of childhood emotional issues that I thought I had been hiding(I guess with food). Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

Mrs. B
MissSally

Total Posts: 9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit, I'm not expert on weight loss, nor am I a fitness trainer or anything to that stature. I can, however, relate to being on the heavy side. If there is any advice I can give you..I say round up the family and do more activities together. Throw a Frisbee around, go for walks, play some badminton. Anything is a start, and not only will it make you more active, but the kids might enjoy it too. Maybe you can prepare healthy meals and get them to help you with it. Make it a family experience. It all starts with attitude, and if you really really want to be more active as well as your kids then you can make it happen. You have more power then you realize, so don't limit yourself. And remember, it might be a struggle at first, but if you're all having fun, then it'll be worth it in the end! Very Happy

*Miss Sally*
newnurse

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new the site, and I have to say that I agree that you have to involve the whole family in order to succeed. Let it be a family challenge. I would start with weekly goals, and make them specific. For example, walk for 30 minutes with the kids, 3 times per week, or no fast food for the whole week (one of my weaknesses, not for taste but convenience). Something I found in the past, that has helped me be successful at weight loss is to have a cheat meal, once a week. I eat good all week by not eating fast food, including fresh fruits and veggies, and no junk food. This way I can save it for one meal to splurge and eat anything I want. It kept me motivated to stay on track the whole week. And the last piece of advice I would give is to not necessarily limit fat but eat healthy fat, like olive oil instead of butter, whole grains instead of white bread, nuts, seeds, etc. Anyhow, good luck on your journey and keep us posted on your progress.
ewyrick

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Suggestions:

1. MAINTAIN RIGOROUS HONESTY: Honesty comes first and the most important person to be honest with is ourselves. Instead of tying to cover up the reading as we weigh ourselves, advertise it. Wear a button that says, "I weight 200 pounds and my waist is 42 inches." (Measure your waist one inch below your belly button -- another honesty issue.) Say it out loud: "I am powerless over junk food." Or, "Ice cream defeats me every time." Admitting it is the first step in getting better. If you relapse and eat a piece of cake on any day but your one day to eat one piece of cake, admit it. Don't rationalize. Until you are rigorously honest, your efforts are doomed.

2. BE WILLING TO CHANGE: Wanting to lose weight doesn't matter. Not a bit. What matters is a willingness to give up preconceived notions that have never worked and do things differently. You have got to be willing to listen to the winners: the people who've lost weight and maintained that weight loss for a long time. If you do that, you'll find that the vast majority, like almost all, follow the third and fourth steps below. You also must change the way you react to life. If you eat ice cream when you're worried, you need a new way to deal with worry. If you don't find that, you'll never, never, never be successful. If you don't change, you're doomed to stay the way you are.

3.EFFECTIVE EXERCISE IS ESSENTIAL: Exercise comes next because so many people want to skip this part. If you're not exercising, you're doomed to failure. You simply cannot reduce your food intake enough to lose weight AND keep it off.. Part of the reason for that is your body will think you are starving and begin converting everything to fat to store up an energy source for when the food runs completely out. If you exercise, you fool you body back into thinking you're OK. You must exercise. And, you must be rigorously honest about that exercise. Plan on 45 minutes a day during which you get your heart rate up into your target zone. If your heart rate isn't up there, you're not burning enough calories to matter. Now look here: it does absolutely no good to sweat for 45 minutes, then reward yourself by eating a honey bun. You've just wasted all your effort. [CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING.]

4. BELIEVE YOU LOSE WEIGHT DUE TO CALORIES IN AND CALORIES OUT: If you think calories eaten and calories burned don't matter, you are doomed to failure. You just are. If you insist on believing calories don't matter, stop reading this and accept that things won't change for you. They won't. Esoteric arguments found in books and websites don't change that. As you go about eating foods with calories in mind, don't forget that you have to maintain rigorous honesty. A cup is not a heaping cup. If you go over the top when measuring your cereal, you'll take in tons more calories over time and you won't lose weight or you'll gain it back. Measure honestly. And, Dr. Harry Lodge's rule about what you should eat that's found in YOUNGER NEXT YEAR is the best I've seen. Here it is in its entirety: "Don't eat crap." We all know what "crap" is. Stay away.

5. ELIMINATE DECISIONS: At least for a while, meaning . . . oh, say . . . the first five years, you should do all you can to eliminate decision making. Develop menus that have the number of calories that fits into your regime and stick to those menus. If you are cooking for a family, make their meals and make yours. Your menu shouldn't be all complicated. At least for this time period, food should not be the center of your life. Have set times for snacks and make the snacks an apple or orange. Create a routine that you don't change. When life forces changes, make careful substitutions. Notice, the word is not "exception." Substituting one meal for another is OK. Eating a piece of pie as an exception is not. Don't go to all you can eat buffets. Don't go to covered dish dinners . . .or if you must go, eat your dinner before you go and don't get near the food table. If you've tried to lose weight and have failed, or have lost weight but failed to maintain the loss, it's clear your decision making is flawed. Eliminate them.

6. Give yourself a break: Take a meal (not a day) off once a week. Eat what you want. Now, that does NOT mean you eat as much as you want. Eat a normal piece of pie after your meal off -- not a whole pie. When you are craving during the rest of the week, remind yourself that you can eat it during your meal off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Getting Emotional - Let's Talk About It Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com