Need help with my breakfast     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DL21Smith

Total Posts: 314

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Need help with my breakfast Reply with quote

I don't tend to have a lot of time in the mornings for breakfast so I always end up eating a bowl of cereal. I will also have 1-2 cups of coffee with a little cream and sugar. My problem is that I eat around 7am before heading to work. I start my shift at 8am and get my first break at 10am. Between 9-9:30 my blood sugar gets so low. I get shaky, a little sweaty and weak. Then I way to much to get the feeling to go away. I've had my blood sugar tested several times and they always tell me it's fine. I'm pretty sure it's being caused by my breakfast choices. What are some good choices for me to help keep my blood sugar level in the morning?

Thanks!

Dana

Don't think you can. KNOW YOU CAN!
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Help with Breakfast Reply with quote

Hi Dana!

You are not alone in your quest for a better breakfast. There's nothing wrong with cereal per se, but my biggest problem with it is that it's mostly carbohydrate. There's a few important keys to a lasting breakfast: Fiber and protein. If you can make sure both of these components are included in your breakfast, you may have better luck making it to your first break. Choose a cereal that has at least 3-4 grams of fiber per serving and is under 200 calories a serving, or swap it for an instant oatmeal which is also a good source of fiber. Then, what you want to do is add some protein by either topping your cereal with nuts, have a tablespoon of a nut butter or have 2 or 3 egg whites along with your cereal (I do this every morning and it makes all the difference).

Here are a few other options that combine protein and fiber:
2 slices whole wheat toast or English muffin with 2 tbsp peanut butter or 2 eggs (cooked any way)
Greek yogurt w/ 1/2 cup fruit (or regular yogurt with nuts and fruit)
Smoothie (see suggestion, but any additions that you like will work)

6 oz Greek yogurt
1 cup unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze
1 cup frozen berries
Vanilla
Blend and enjoy!

Let me know if this helps!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
DL21Smith

Total Posts: 314

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I will look for cereals with better fiber and protein in them next time I'm shopping. Some mornings I'll make a peanut butter and banana sandwich..that really lasts me until break or lunch..

Don't think you can. KNOW YOU CAN!

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com