altering my calories based on my days activity level     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ2011

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: altering my calories based on my days activity level Reply with quote

I have a question. So I am a nighttime nibbler and want to incorporate the meal plan ideas into my day to day eating. My activity level varies a lot. I have days where I run constantly for up to 8 hours a day and will some times include gym time on those days, but I have other days where I don't work and don't really do anything at all the whole day. Those non active days can be that I am tired or feeling lazy to having a really bad headache all day. So how much adjustment should I make in my calories for my super active days vs my non active days. I am making a guess that anywhere from 200 to 400 calories is what I should add or subtract. Look forward to the input on this topic.
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Depending on the type, intensity and duration of the physical activity you do will impact how many calories you're burning. On days where you're physically active, while you want to eat enough to ensure you have the energy for the exercise, I don't think it's necessary to add any additional calories to your daily intake. On days where you're less active, it's not a bad idea to be more aware of what you're eating. I would suggest cutting out about 200 calories (basically cutting out one snack) from your intake and watch the addition of extra calories from beverages or added sugars.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com