Hypothyroidism Help     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Optimist44

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Hypothyroidism Help Reply with quote

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism about a year and a half ago and it has been really difficult to lose weight. I am taking medication for this condition but I am wondering if I need to make any significant adjustments to my diet plan?

The best way to predict the future is to create it.
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Since starting taking the medication, have you noticed any weight loss? Often times, unfortunately, starting the meds does not equate to significant weight loss.

What have you been doing recently to promote weight loss? What would you say your usual calorie intake is on a daily basis? What kind of physical activity do you do?

If you give me a run down of what you're usual intake is like, I'll be happy to see if there's anything you can do to improve your chances at weight loss by making some additional small changes.

Once I hear back from you, I'll see what I can do to give you some tips and tricks!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
Optimist44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Hypothyroidism Help Reply with quote

I have not noticed any weight loss with the medication and unfortunately I have a sedentary job and I sit at a computer almost all day. I track what I eat and that equates to between 1800 and 2000 calories per day. I have some knee problems so I have restictions when it comes to cardiovascular exercise but I would like to start working out with weights to help my weight loss.

DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jobs and injuries are definitely road blocks to effective physical activity. The good news is, that even 30 minutes a day of any kind of physical activity, can be effective. Not only that, but you can even break it up into 3-10 minutes intervals throughout the day on those long days and still get the same effect. You mentioned lifting weights and that is another really good way to keep your metabolism revved all day without having to put any sort of pressure on that knee.

It's great you keep track of what you're eating, that's one of the best ways to increase awareness and lower the risk of mindless eating throughout the day. Those little snacks here and there throughout the day can really add up! I would suggest not only increasing your physical activity, but also trying to cut down to about 1500 calories per day (I wouldn't go lower than that though) and see if you have any more luck.

I would also encourage protein at all meals as well as a good helping of veggies at lunch and dinner. Do you snack between meals? How often do you go out for lunch/dinner?

Let me know what other questions you have!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
Optimist44

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Hypothyroidism Help Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I do snack between meals but I try to have healthy alternatives within reach, like fruit or instant oatmeal or nuts and I try to drink lots of water. Most days I bring my lunch but I may go out to eat once a week, and I rarely go out for dinner.

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com