Welcome to Rate My Plate!     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stown

Total Posts: 296

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it really helps!! You would be pleased to know that everyday last week except for the one I meal I posted for you to rate I actually had fruit and yogurt.

Today I ate 6oz of low-fat vanilla yogurt and 7oz of mixed fruit. I have watermelon as a snack for today. For lunch I'm planning on having beef tips with onions and peppers, side salad with low-fat dressing, green beans and water. For dinner it will be a small salad and water. I'm drinking water all week. Smile

I will add some multi-grain crackers to my snacks. I like that suggestion.

I don't really know how many calories I intake daily. It is hard for me to count calories when sometimes the food is prepared at a restaurant. Any suggestions on making it easier to count the calories?

Thanks for the tips!! They will help keep me on track!

Sandy Wink
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sandy,
That’s fantastic! Glad to hear you have things like fruit and yogurt regularly. My favorite whole grain crackers are Triscuits. Be cautious of some crackers on the market that SEEM whole grain, but really are not that nutritious! Try to find crackers with at least 2-3 grams of fiber per serving and “whole wheat” listed as an ingredient.

Counting calories isn’t for everyone. If you want to get a ballpark idea of how many calories you’re consuming each day, you can enter your foods into a variety of different online (free) programs, such as sparkpeople.com, fitday.com, mydailyplate.com, mypyramid.gov, etc. You can sometimes even enter in common restaurant meals, as well as serving sizes and some of your own recipes.

I think it is most important, though, to eat well rounded, nutritious meals and snacks throughout the day. Avoid being overly hungry or overly stuffed and listen to your hunger cues to avoid mindless eating. And it is important to get a variety of nutrients, which is why I stressed adding things like whole grains and fruit! If you find you’re gaining weight, it’s a sign to cut back on the amount of food you’re eating, or choose lower calorie foods and exercise more. This is easier than counting exact calories. If you’re in weight maintenance mode, keep doing what you’re doing!
Hope this helps.

Best,
Janel

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
stown

Total Posts: 296

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Janel!! Your tips will help. I appreciate you taking time to reply.

Have a great day!!

Sandy Smile
beanie46

Total Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: How would you rate my day? Reply with quote

Do you think i should eat or do anything different? I aim for 1500 calories a day, at least an hour of working out, and very little starches. I would like to lose 15 lbs. I'm 5'9 and weigh 160.

Breakfast:
2 eggs with 1/2 a slice of american cheese and a slice of thin turkey
Coffee with 2 tbsp half and half and a splash of nonfat milk
3 packets of sugar

Lunch:
PB and Apple Butter sandwich on whole wheat bread
Carrot and Raisin salad with Lemon and cinnamon

Dinner:
Grilled Chicken
Romaine lettuce salad with Citrus Vinagrette dressing
Skinny Cow Icecream

Workout: