Tough time to eat     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Tough time to eat Reply with quote

I find it hard to keep a steady eating schedule because i do shift work.

some days I'm up at 5am and back home at 3 or 4pm and am way too tired to make a meal. or i sleep in late because I'm start work at 4pm and wont be home till 12am

the food at work isn't great. a lot of the stuff comes from a bottle (sauces) or I'm just to picky to eat it:P

i work i hospitality so its quite physically and mentally draining so when i do get home i just crash.

i also find that because i do shift work i tend to eat a lot of junk food and all through the day.

do you have any helpful ideas on how i could manage my diet?
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working at all different times definitely makes it hard to stick to a routine....especially when you work late.

The key to staying on track is to have a plan. That includes a plan for both eating at home and eating at work.

For starters, I would focus on bringing meals and snacks with you to work. Not only does this prevent going long periods of time without eating, but it also lessens the likelihood that you'll snack on whatever's available at work (which as you've already mentioned are not always the healthiest options.)

As a general rule of thumb, I would keep all snacks to under 200 calories and I would always include protein in your snacks. I would also suggest making sure at least one of your snacks/meals includes vegetables.

Some healthy snack options:
Veggies with hummus or low fat dressing
1/2 Sandwich (turkey, pb&j, etc)
100 calorie snacks or 100 calorie microwave popcorn
A piece of fruit with either low fat string cheese or 1 tbsp peanut butter
1/4 cup nuts (any kind)
1 serving crackers (special k, wheat things, etc) w/ 1 laughing cow cheese wedge
Protein bar (like special k protein bar or any other kind under 200 calories)

When you work late, I would make sure that you eat before you get home so that you're not eating anything or are starving when you get home and then go right to bed. For dinners, in general, I would suggest skipping the carb and focusing on protein and veggie (you can be as creative or simple in these meals as you want).

Finally, I would make sure you're never going over 4 hours without eating something. I know it's tough, but I would also strongly suggest mapping out a weekly plan of what you're going to eat each day. This way, you have a plan for no matter your schedule throws at you.

Let me know if this helpful to you and if you'd like, let me know what types of foods you usually eat and I'll see what else I can do to help you.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web