What should I avoid?     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: What should I avoid? Reply with quote

I have high cholesterol and my husband battles gout. What foods should I nix from the menu, and what's good to add? We are picky meat eaters so it gets tough... Confused
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: gout and cholesterol....what to do Reply with quote

The good news about your dilemma is this: If you both follow a heart healthy diet, you'll help your high cholesterol and his gout! By limiting animal proteins, increasing plant proteins, complex carbs and water intake, you're not only helping your cholesterol, but it will help prevent a gout flare.

When you say you are picky meat eaters, what does that mean exactly? Do you like meats like chicken and pork, or white fish like scrod or tilapia? If so, these are all good animal/fish proteins to consume. They are lower in saturated fat and contain less purine (which produces uric acid which can lead to a gout flare) so they're acceptable for both diets.

Additionaly, adding more plant-based proteins such as beans, legumes and soy products, which are generally higher in fiber and lower in saturated fat will help both of you out as well Smile

Whole grains, particularly ones with greater than 4 grams of fiber per serving (such as whole wheat bread, high fiber cereals, brown rice and whole wheat pasta) help with weight loss by keeping you fuller longer, which can help both cholesterol and gout...and fiber has been shown to help reduce cholesterol. And more fruits and veggies are always a sure fire way to improve your overall diet (asparagus and mushrooms do have higher purine levels....so you may want to avoid them for your husbands sake)!

Lastly, drinking plenty of fluids, especially water will help keep you full, hydrated and will help flush out any extra uric acid that may be building up which ultimately leads to gout pain.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask anytime!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com