help please     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessyca2002

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: help please Reply with quote

Before i joind this site i recently lost 35 pounds but now im not loosing any more i really try to pay attention to labels but im not sure with how much of sugars and fats ect i should consume daily to stay on track. i still have another 65 pounds id like to loose.
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: help please Reply with quote

Congrats on the weight you've already lost! How long did it take you to lose the first 35? What you're experiencing is a common problem among dieters. Now that you've lost the initial weight, the calories you need are probably less than when you started. The general rule of thumb is to cut out 500 calories a day based on your basic energy needs to promote healthy, steady weight loss. I would be happy to give you the right calorie range if you were interested. All I'd need is your height and weight.

Secondly, what to you do for physical activity? Exercise is just as important as cutting calories to have weight loss. It can be as simple as taking a brisk 30 minute walk in the middle of the day, or breaking it up into 10 minute increments 3 times a day. Incorporating weight-bearing exercise (lifting, etc) will help keep your metabolism revved all day. I would suggest (if you're not doing this already) to have a goal of cardiovascular activity for at least 30 minutes a day 4-5 times a week, and weight bearing exercise twice a week.

As a general rule of thumb, it's important to not cut out any food groups in an attempt to lose weight. Fats and carbohydrates are important components of any well balanced diet. You want to choose mostly fiber-rich foods for carbohydrates (those that have 4g or more of fiber per serving)and you want to limit your saturated fat intake. I always encourage that people measure what they eat, especially for things like cereal, peanut butter, oils, rice, pasta, and any beverages that aren't calorie free. These foods tend to be overestimated in consumption. By increasing awareness, you'll also decrease calorie intake.

I would also encourage you to keep a food journal. This forces you to be aware of all foods you consume and the amounts consumed, decreasing the chance for mindless snacking throughout the day.

You're on a great start and should be proud of yourself! If you would like, you can send along your height and weight so I can give you some calorie guidance. I could also take a look at your usual intake and see how you're doing. That would allow me to make recommendations based on your food preferences and give you some other tips to cut calories.

Keep up the good work!

Meghan

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
jessyca2002

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: my weight and hieght Reply with quote

Thank you writing back to me. I lost the 35 pounds in about 6 months. Then I stopped. I am now 215 pounds and I am 5ft 5in tall. i would like to get down to 150. since i sighned up on here i am following a 1500 calorie a day diet and I use the meal plans and recipies on the site and when i did my shopping i only bouth things on the shopping guide and followd all the suggestions. i eat lots of fruit and veggies through out the day with my meal but i feel hungrier after i eat, im guessing it is because i wouldnt eat all day and then at night i would eat a lot. I am also following the exercise guide I was given on here too also i go to the gym and do the elliptical for 30 minutes. i just really want to make sure I am on the right path .
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again congrats on the initial weight loss! 1500 calories is about right, especially if you're exercising. If you find that you've reached a plateau even following the meal plan on here, then you might want to cut out 200 more calories or so. I would not consume less than 1200 calories, so once you've reached that level, then you may want to amp up your exercise routine.

It sounds like you're definitely on the right path, making healthy choices, being physically active and eating a well balanced diet. You should be very proud of yourself, it takes a lot of hard work and commitment to achieve successful weight loss. Do you feel like your current meal plan is sustainable for a while? If not, then we should work together to find ways to make it more manageable but still maintain the same goal.

If you're hungry after meals, I would definitely make sure you're getting enough lean protein and fiber. Those are the things that will guarantee fullness once a meal is done. The other thing you can try is eating slower. Make a goal of taking about 20 minutes to finish a meal. This will give your stomach some time to start "feeling full."

Keep up the good work and let me know if there's anything else I can do for you!

Meghan

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com