how do I adopt my medical diet to what you have to offer?     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
auntcindyknits

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: how do I adopt my medical diet to what you have to offer? Reply with quote

I wrote Dr. Diet this question and he suggested I contact you. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do here, so I'll tell you what I'm eating and what I'm supposed to be eating.
First of all, when I joined I was on Depakote for seizure control and I did not know that it makes you gain weight. I felt out of control. I'd like to take the test again because I have been taken off the Depakote and effortlessly dropped 40 pounds over the last year +. Now, however, I've maxed out on that little trick and I have to start eating very well.
I have multiple medical problems, but the most relevant to my weight are several mitchondrial disorders which severely limit my energy level and cause seizures when my brain is tired or stressed. I also have CFS and adrenal fatuge. I have a genetic defect (COMT) which means I am missing enzymnes to properly dispose of adrenaline, cortisone and estrogen (I am post meonpausal now fortunately. This problems creates endogenous neurotoxins. Ialso have envirnomental neurotoxins along with a number of food allergies and sensitivities. I've been working hard on my gut ecoloy and the slowly the sensitivities are improving. My basic diet requires fairly high fat in regulated amounts, and organic raw unproccssed fats from dark bottles only . . .I also get intravenous lipids and supplement with a variety according to what tests show I need. Surprisingly I need more animal fats and saturated fats than most people. So, my fat diet is going to be unique. It should be about 40-50% of my calories because of the mito disorerder. I take a lot of supplenents which I will not detiail except to say it takes a lot of time and commitment to keeping up with hat. I cannot exercise except in the msallest increment and then gently. Because of my seizures I need to keep steady blood sugar. Tht's to write for now, I am finaly feeling sleepy, so I'll stop here. CAn you point me toward a low glycemic index diet s==is flexible enough for me to rewrite it to the unusual sprecdifics I am sorry about the typos but my brain has stopped functioning for tonight and I need to go to bed. I look forward to your coment and appreciate you giving me some directions. Can I arrange to take the test again? I feel I am very differnt off the delapkotes. We will talk more soon,thank you.

It is not for us to finish the work; but neither are we free to desist
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: how do I adopt my medical diet to what you have to offer Reply with quote

Hi!

Sorry for my delayed response, it sounds like finding a well balanced diet has been tricky for you. First things first.....for weight loss, the trick is calories in vs. calories out. Since moderate physical activity is not possible for you, that means cutting back on calories. You can still consume the appropriate amount of fat and lose weight. Without knowing your height and weight, I'd guess you need about 1200 calories to lose weight. It is really important to keep track of calories consumed to get real results. I encourage everyone to read food labels and keep measuring cups on hand. It also helps to keep a food journal...just to keep your intake more accurate and keep you more aware of what and how much you're eating.

As far as fats are concerned, I'd suggest you focus on the good fats, the unsaturated fats. Good things to keep on hand include nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive oil and canola oil, just to name a few.

In order to keep your blood sugars steady, you need a combination of high fiber whole grains, fruits, vegetables and protein at all meals. Consuming a well balanced diet will avoid any drops or spikes in blood sugars.

If you could let me know what you're currently doing, or what types of foods you like, we can work together to create a meal plan for you to follow.

I look forward to hearing from you again and working with you towards a healthy weight loss goal.

Meghan

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com