a few questions for a new member     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheetsca

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: a few questions for a new member Reply with quote

I am a breakfast skipper! That is the meal I have to force myself to eat, and truthfully, I need my on-the-go meal at that time. What suggestions do you have for me?

Also, I find it impossibvle to get in my water intake. I do like crystal light in my water but am wondering if I can count that as my water for the day? I have read that it is ok, and not ok. I am a teacher and find that if I drink a lot throughout the day, I need the restroom too often and cannot leave my classroom. Then I try to chug all of it in the evening and then I get up several times in the night.

Help! Confused
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: A few questions from a new member Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm glad you realize the importance of starting your day off with breakfast! It's the meal that jump starts your metabolism and keeps you going throughout the day....especially if you're a teacher! Breakfast does not need to be time consuming and complex. I encourage you aim to get either fruit and protein or a whole grain and protein to start your day off right. This can be as simple as having a greek yogurt with berries, or a piece of fruit with 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter or reduced fat string cheese. If you're really in a rush, protein bars or fiber bars make good meal replacements on-the-go. Otherwise, if you have a few minutes in the morning, you could make yourself an egg (any way will do, and it can be a whole egg, egg whites or Egg Beaters), cereal or oatmeal are good choices.

Eggs are a great protein for the morning, and they're so versatile! You could hard boil a dozen eggs and have them along with a grain or fruit any day of the week (oatmeal, high fiber cereal with low fat milk, toast or fruit). Egg whites are only 17 calories per white, so eat up! I would suggest limiting your yolk intake to 4 per week.

If you find it easy to skip breakfast, I would make a plan for yourself ahead of time. Keep on-the-go foods like fiber bars or protein bars in your desk at work just in case, but otherwise, make a weekly plan. For example, Mondays and Wednesdays could be yogurt (greek or any other kind would do) with berries and a handful (~1/4 cup) of nuts. Tuesdays could be an English muffin with 1 tbsp of peanut butter and an apple (you could also use toast or the bagel/sandwich thins instead of an english muffin). Thursdays could be 1 cup of high fiber cereal with low fat milk, berries and 2 hard boiled egg whites and Friday could be an egg (any way) with two slices of toast and fruit. By incorporating fiber and protein into your breakast, you not only help yourself stay fuller longer, but you also help regulate blood sugar control so you have even energy all morning. If you happen to stop by a coffee shop on your way in to work, avoid bagels and muffins and choose an egg and cheese on an English muffin. You'll not only save tons of calories, but you'll be getting good quality protein.

As far as fluids go, it's recommended you get 8 cups a day. The good thing about fluids is they all count. That's right, your coffee, tea, juice, soda, water, crystal light, soup, etc, all contribute to your daily fluid intake. I would encourage you to keep a bottle of water with you at all times, that way it's always available when you think of it. Spread out your fluid intake evenly throughout the day so you're not constantly running to the bathroom. I would defintely encourage you to choose low calorie/zero calorie fluid options when possible to avoid excessive calorie intake from drinks, because they can really add up.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions or need more suggestions, let me know and I'll do what I can to help you!

Meghan

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com