Premium membership meal plans for baffled Europeans     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Betsy Chevron

Total Posts: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Premium membership meal plans for baffled Europeans Reply with quote

I live outside of the USA (the UK to be precise) and as well as having a seafood allergy that restricts how closely I can follow certain recipes I also find that there are some amazing sounding products in the USA that we just don't get here. The range of choice is not as broad, some foods just don't come in a low fat option, some of them don't exist at all.

I always try to buy fresh and work from scratch anyway, but with the lack of things like egg substitute (I've never seen it in any supermarket or online), low carb tortillas, wholewheat English muffins (you have no idea how jealous I am now, they sound amazing), fat free pudding cups and so many more ingredients that haven't made it over the pond it's really hard to follow the plans, I try to work out substitutes but I'm a bit lost.

Also, even though Weight Watchers ready meals ARE available here I don't own a microwave and I really don't like frozen or ready meals anyway.

Can you recommend any alternative meal plans?

Also, a recipe for wholewheat English muffins would be good, seeing as I can't buy them here I kinda want to bake them.
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine how frustrating it can be to see these great recipes and not be able to make them at home. I love that you like to make meals from scratch and choose whole foods instead of pre-packaged...that's great! What I will ask of you is to give me a few recipes that you are stuck on and I'll try and recreate them with alternatives that may be available to you.

I can give you a list of general things you can alter to make a recipe healthier:

-If a recipe calls for egg substitute, you can use egg whites instead...just discard the yolk and the white is only 17 calories!
-Instead of sour cream, try non-fat greek yogurt...tastes the same and you get a lot of protein!
-As replacements for oil or butter in desserts, I often use things such as pumpkin puree, applesauce or light/Greek yogurt. I usually use the same amount of the substitute that is called for in the recipe.
-Other things to remember, when given the option, choose low fat or fat free milk or creamer and skip adding butter whenever possible.
-You can also substitute whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour (part of what a recipe calls for or all of it): the more whole wheat flour you use, the denser the product becomes, so make sure you base the percentage on whatever you're cooking.

As far as a whole wheat english muffin bread recipe, does not have a specific recipe for that, however, if you go to recipes and refine your search, they have some great whole grain breads to try. Otherwise, if you google "whole wheat english muffin recipe" a ton of options pop up for you to try.

Let me know what some of the recipes you're having trouble with are and I'll be happy to try and figure them out for you.

Happy Dieting!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web