Reading Label     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reading Label Reply with quote

A diet.com member recently asked......

I am trying to monitor my diet. I'm trying to pay more attention to label and do more cooking at home. My question is/are when I am buying meals and looking at labels for various products what do I need to pay attention for, the only thing I really look at are calories, but I know I should probably look at fat and sugar as well-but where do they weigh in and what is more important?
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reading Label Reply with quote

Hi!

That's awesome that you're increasing your awareness about what you're eating and doing more home cooking! These two things will put you on the right track for weight loss. The food label is a great place to start for monitoring calorie intake. There are several things to look for on the food label to help you make healthy decisions; calories, fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium, fiber and sugar. I will go through some guidelines for each nutrient listed, however, I feel that the most important part of the food label is the serving size. This value will provide guidance for how much you should have of a food at any one time. Portion control is one of the most important parts of any weight loss diet.

Let's take a look at the food label. I'll provide you with some definitions and things to look for as well as your personal goals for intake of each thing. Your values are based on your height and weight and the recommended percentages of fat, protein and carbohydrate you need on a daily basis.

Calories: Based on what information I got from your profile, I'd suggest you consume between 1200-1400 calories per day for weight loss.

Total Fat: Low fat = 3g or less per serving
Your goal for fat intake: 40g per day

Saturated fat: Low in Saturated fat = 1g or less per servings
Your goal: less than 13g per day

Cholesterol: Low in cholesterol = 20mg or less per servings
Your goal: less than 300 mg per day

Sodium: Low sodium = 140mg or less per servings
Your goal: 2400mg or less per day

Carbohydrate: You want to try and make half of your carbohydrates whole grain choices from 100% whole wheat breads and cereals, fruits and vegetables, whole grain pastas, brown/wild rice and beans.
Your goal: ~165 grams of carbohydrate per day

When choosing carbohydrates, you want to minimize added sugars and increase your fiber intake.
High fiber foods have 5g or more of fiber per serving and good sources of fiber have between 3 and 4g per serving.

Your protein needs are: 45-60g per day.

This information is useful when food labels are available to you. There is a great website I recommend to all my patients for combination foods or foods that may not have food labels available:
calorieking.com

You can put various foods into the database, choose portion sizes and it will give you an estimate of the nutrition facts for that particular food. Even though it may not be exact, it will give you a ballpark estimate of what the food you are eating offers nutritionally.

I know this can be a lot of information, so read it over and please right back if you have any other questions. I will be happy to answer any and all questions you may have.

Good luck!

Meghan

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com