Shedding baby weight     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Shedding baby weight Reply with quote

A diet.com member recently asked....

I have two beautiful baby girls, 9 months and 20 months. Was pregnant yes it felt like two years. I was over weight before I got pregnant but it was because of being on medication. I quit taking the medication because of what it was and wasn't doing for me. If you know what I mean.
I lost 46 lbs right before I got pregnant the first time. I was so happy that I lost the weight, but even more happy that I had the baby. I didn't have a period for nearly 3 years on that medication and didn't think I could get pregnant. And then there was two. Yay

well, anyways. Now after Nine months with no baby in my belly, and being almost 30 years old. I would like to try and regain my health and lose the weight. I don't want to give up I want to feel good about myself. ANd i want to be a healthy weight when we decided to have another baby.
I need some help with being a snacker and a healthy portioner. I love snacking and I know eating more small meals a day is better for you than 3 big ones. I also try and make my breakfast meal the biggest meal I eat. I am doing great On the diet so far but I am nervous with me working in a kitchen and not really sleeping a whole lot due to the hours of my job and sleep schedule of my children. Can you please help me figure out what I can to help my eating habits be healthy ones?

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That is quite the routine! No wonder you rely on snacking to get you through the day. Based on your "typical" day, it sounds like you might not be eating enough (never thought you'd hear that, huh? ).

I don't have your height and weight information, but I would suggest a goal of consuming ~1200 calories a day for weight loss. I would say, overall, your food choices are healthy ones. You are choosing lean proteins, fruit, drinking water, and watching your portion sizes. However, at this point, you could benefit from adding more vegetables and protein into your daily intake. I would suggest you try and get protein at all meals or snacks (chicken, fish, beans/hummus, nuts/seeds/nut butters, eggs, low fat cheese, low fat yogurt and cottage cheese). I would also recommend getting veggies (any kind will do) at least twice a day.

Because you grocery shop every two weeks, bulk up on frozen veggies and fruit so you have these foods available all the time. Both are just as good as the fresh version. I'm a big fan of fruit smoothies using frozen fruit, Greek yogurt and unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze (only 40 calories per cup!). You can also make incorporating fruits and veggies into your daily routine a fun activity for the kids too, like making fun dips for fruits or vegetables, or having them create something that they'll be able to eat afterwards.

If snacks are what you primarily consume, that can work as long as your getting enough in throughout the day (you need enough calories to keep your metabolism up). Keep up with drinking water (at least 8 cups a day), and keep avoiding those high sugar drinks.

Some healthy snack ideas include:
-Greek or regular low fat yogurt with fruit
-Low fat cottage cheese with fruit or veggies
-A whole wheat english muffin (with an egg and cheese, as a mini pizza, with 2 TBSP peanut butter or hummus)
-A fruit smoothie
-A piece of fruit with low fat cheese (either string cheese, laughing cow cheese wedges or wheels, or 1 ounce/1 slice of any other kind of cheese)
-A protein bar (that's less than 200 calories)
-Veggies with hummus or low fat dip
-The popcorn you make, soy crisps, ~20 nuts of your choice
-Sandwich on 1 slice 100% whole wheat or Joseph's low carb wrap or pita
- 1 cup of low sugar(4g per serving)cereal with low fat milk

I could go on for days

Given your hectic schedule, it pays to be prepared. Make a daily plan to make sure you stick to your diet, but also get enough food throughout the day. Do some prep work ahead of time so you can grab things on your way out the door to make it easier to stick with it.

You're doing great so far and should be proud of yourself. Let me know if this helps, and if you have any other questions at all, I'd be more than happy to try and help you.

Keep up the good work!

Meghan

DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Diet.com member replied....

Thank you so much for your input and help in my new lifestyle change.

I have become discouraged a little because I went from losing a lot of weight really fast in the beginning to going 3 days without losing any.
I am still working hard and haven't gained any back.
I guess I need to work on my exercising a little more. I am just so exhausted from working and not getting a full 8 hours of sleep a day.

I am trying to strengthen my will power and working extra hard to stay on track.

Last edited by DietitianConsult on Thu May 06, 2010 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to help! Please don't get discouraged! You did lose a lot of weight right away, and I know it's frustrating when the pounds stop coming off, but remember, maintaining weight is half the battle. So every day that you haven't gained weight is also a victory .

Exercise is, unfortunately, the other component that really keeps that metabolism burning. Your schedule is tough and you definitely have your hands full. Something to keep in mind: They've done research that has shown that 3-10 minute increments of exercise throughout the day is just as effective as working out for 30 minutes straight. So for someone with your schedule, this may be the best option.

I know it's hard with little ones, but other little things you can do to increase daily physical activity include parking farther away from the entrance to stores or taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Another good idea for you might be investing in a pedometer. Start with a goal of taking 10,000 steps a day (the goal can always be increased ) and this would give you a little extra motivation to get those steps in one way or another.

My only other suggestion for today would be to keep a food journal, or create weekly calendars with meals and snacks on it. These take some time, but they may help to keep you on track on those busy days. The food journal will force you to keep being aware of what and how much you're eating, and the weekly meal/snack planner can help direct grocery shopping and take the thinking out of what you're going to eat each day.

You're doing great so far! I know it's easier said than done, but don't get too frustrated with the fact that you've plateaued a little. Make sure you keep eating a well balanced diet (~1200 calories or so) and get that exercise (and a good night sleep) whenever possible.

Keep me posted!

Meghan

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com