confused about "starvation mode"     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Fitness Fun - Tips and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evergray514

Total Posts: 21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: confused about "starvation mode" Reply with quote

The past couple weeks I've really kicked it up a notch and got my a** into gear with this weight loss thing. The first week, I lost 5 pounds, which was super awesome, this past week, I lost 0.

I may have let my diet slip over the weekend, but overally I am still averaging 1500-2000 calories a day. I'm not starving myself, I thought I was doing okay.

I've also been in the gym...ALOT. Last week I was there everyday, sometimes twice. I did this partly because I made a goal to burn 10,000 calories on the Cybex Arc Trainer (which I did..WooT) and b/c I'd rather be working out then sitting on my butt doing nothing.

Calorie wise, per the machine, I was burning about 2000 calories a day, which was basically cancelling out what I was eating (so I thought), so weight loss should have been a no brainer.

One of my co-workers is telling me that my body is in starvation mode b/c of the excessive workouts, and I've found stuff online that seems to support that...but I am still confused by it a bit. I'm eating. I'm not doing super low-cal, I'm not taking any diet pills (gonna try to do it right this time), im just watching my portions, drinking plenty of water, and working out...how am I in starvation mode? It just seems like eating more then I am already am is going to put me right back where I was before.

Anyone have any experience w/ this? or advice? thanks
rvrwldq

Total Posts: 253

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we've all be there. When that happened to me, I drank more water and within a week, I noticed a larger weight loss than I was averaging before.
I_was_pretty_once

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have answered youe own question, in your post you put that according the machine you are burning off the same amut of calories your taking in...what about the rest of the day? walking to the car, to the gym from the parking lot, changing your shoes, walking to the machine...breathing...? all of this takes energy, calories. If you are using all your energy on the machine you have none left for the rest of your day.
Think of it like this, you put anough gas in your car to make it to the town 100 KM (miles if your are in the states) away, but once you get to town you need to go 25 miles out of town to the friends house you want to visit. unless you add more fuel, your not going to make it. I hope this helps.

Think nothings impossible? Try slamming a revolving door.
SlowlySexy

Total Posts: 34

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the "starvation mode" theory, this is what I've read in an article by a trainer here on diet.com...

He says that it's okay to have a "cheat meal" once a week - that it sort of "resets" your body's metabolism, and tells it that you're not in starvation mode. It's sort of like how you lose a lot of weight when you first get started dieting...well, this is like starting over and over again, and getting that big boost of weight loss every time! PLUS it keeps you from feeling so deprived of all the things you like to eat - which I KNOW from experience is the fastest way to kill a diet!! Hope this helps...

~April

"There can be no end to my success if I remember that determination, not destiny, makes all the difference in life. In all matters of consequence never never never give up!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Fitness Fun - Tips and Discussion Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com