Wheat Sensitivity     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheila46

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Wheat Sensitivity Reply with quote

I am just beginning the diet. com programme. I have wheat sensitivities and feel much better when I limit the amount of wheat that I eat. Do you have any suggestions for wheat substitutions. Rolling Eyes
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for your question. If you have been diagnosed with celiac disease (otherwise known as gluten intolerance), it's important to avoid any foods containing gluten. Gluten is a protein found in many grains, including wheat, rye, barley, and any of their derivatives. Oats may also contain gluten. Grains containing gluten are often used in items such as breads, cereals, pasta, pizza, cakes, pies, and cookies and as added ingredients to many processed food items. Therefore, it's good idea to avoid these foods.

You may feel this eliminates a lot of foods, but in reality, there are still plenty of delicious, healthy food options available. Fruits, vegetables, fresh meats, fresh poultry, fresh fish, eggs, most dairy products (use caution with processed cheese), many corn and rice products, nuts, nut butters, and legumes are gluten-free.

Healthy gluten free breakfast ideas include cottage cheese or yogurt topped with fresh or dried fruit, smoothies made with low fat milk, ice and fresh or frozen fruit, puffed rice or cream of wheat cereal topped with fresh or dried fruit, and eggs with turkey bacon and fried potatoes.

Lunch and dinner ideas include salad made with chopped veggies and topped with toasted almonds or sunflower seeds and lean meats (chicken, tuna, ham), stir fry made with meat, poultry or seafood and chopped vegetables served over brown rice, baked potatoes topped with cheese and veggies, tuna on mixed greens with fresh fruit, meat or veggie fajitas or quesadillas made from corn tortillas, homemade turkey, beef or veggie chili with corn chips, and beef, chicken or vegetable kabobs over rice.

One note of caution: If you haven't been diagnosed with celiac disease, but think you may have it, it's very important to follow-up with your doctor immediately and before cutting gluten out of your diet. If you eliminate gluten from your diet, it makes diagnosing celiac disease much more difficult.

I hope this helps with some healthy gluten-free meal ideas. Please let me know if you have any more questions or if you'd like any additional information.

Healthy regards,
Deirdre, RD

I am just beginning the diet. com programme. I have wheat sensitivities and feel much better when I limit the amount of wheat that I eat. Do you have any suggestions for wheat substitutions.

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com