persistant Procrastinator- How to stay motivated!     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Our Challenges and Successes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rennrat240

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: persistant Procrastinator- How to stay motivated! Reply with quote

Any tips?

I am good for about a week and them stop for [fill in social excuse here]. I need some help!
chrissy75

Total Posts: 56

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well one motivation tip i thought of the other day when me and my friend were at all the mall..

either take a pair of skinny jeans or dress or even go buy areally nice outfit in the size you want to get down to, and then hang it on the wall in your bedroom, with a note attached saying something like "this is what i will get to, i can do it.!!"

then hang a pair of jeans the size you are now, and put a note there saying "i don't like being this size, i need to change."

or you could think of health benefits of losing weight. like, you don't wanna get diabetes or heart problems, etc...

i'm losing weight for the sole purpose of looking better, feeling better, and keeping myself from getting the health problems my mom had before she died. that's always the biggest motivation for me. my doctor keeps telling me i need to lose weight, my mom had diabetes and i'm at risk for them, so losing weight will help in the long run.

just some thoughts for you to help with your motivation. Smile
Karmitallix

Total Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: What works for me: Reply with quote

I've used many tactics to get my butt back in shape. I think it's important to identify which ones work/don't work for you. For example, motivation through guilt may be too negative a message (it is for me, anyway. I have to remain positive or I begin to feel unhappy and drift away from my goals). There are several ways to stay motivated...
Guilt- "I should be this, I should do that..."
Inspiration: Like the pants on the wall (I do this myself, and it works well for me.
Safety net: When you need that extra push to exercise or leave the chocolate on the shelf, call out to a designated person, someone who will help you talk it through.
*GAMES: My new favourite way! For example, I have M&M's in my backpack as we speak, and to keep from eating them all in 1 go (a total of 240 cal), I allow myself to eat 1 color of M&M's at a time, and no more, which turns 240 empty cals into 60. Not bad!
Also, staying motivated takes an acute self awareness. Identify clearly your problem areas (snacking at night and portion size are some of mine), and really attack them! For example, I have a "fresh food only after 8pm" rule (formerly "Don't eat after 8 rule, but that was just no fun!), and I portion my meals ahead of time, when I'm not hungry.
Lastly, don't be afraid to get silly. I've stuck notes on things before, like "Go for a walk before you break open this bag of chips" or say your goals out loud to hold yourself to them- even if no one's there! "I'm going to the gym today, even if it's only a short workout!"
The ways to keep motivated are endless. Anyone else have some go-to techniques? I've only listed the top ones I could think of.
-Danielle

ps. Social occasions: This one is tough, but I find the best thing to do when you slip up is to STAY POSITIVE AND DON'T GIVE UP: this sounds very cliché but many of us have "a bad morning", so we let that turn into a "bad day", and a "bad week". Don't let this happen to you! Be realistic. "Ok, I ate a lot at the restaurant last night, but I'm back on track as soon as I get home." A well-deserved break sometimes catches us by surprise, but as long as we treat it as such, we can get back on track just as easy.
FirestarterSA

Total Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely! I have ADD and staying motivated/keeping on track is a HUGE challenge for me. I used my knowledge of behavioral psychology (I just graduated with a B.A. in psych) to develop a behavioral program that I'm following. I use a series of charts that I developed and I work for rewards and prizes. In fact, my whole family's on the program, and we've been doing great so far! Almost four weeks of drinking at least 8 glasses of water every single day! Plus we've been exercising almost every day.

I can give you a more detailed description of the program if you want me to-- just shoot me a message. But basically, the concept is that we work for rewards-- things we really want and can ONLY have IF we do (fill in the blank: exercise __ minutes, drink ___ glasses of water, lose ____ pounds; whatever!).

It helps me control myself and stay motivated-- and I also get to win fun prizes!! Smile
SlowlySexy

Total Posts: 34

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as you are - I think about working out all the time, but then I think of something about diet and exercise that I meant to search for online, so I sit down at the computer, only meaning to look up that ONE little thing, which then leads to six or seven other articles that I just have to check out...or I'll decide to JUST glance at my Facebook page, and there are so many comments I need to reply to - and then I come HERE to find workout demos and check my blog for comments, and I HAVE to reply to them - wouldn't want to be rude! In other words, I just get side-tracked SO easily...if I start to work out, the phone rings or someone drops by. This is no lie, the other day I turned my music on and began my first set in shadow-boxing...a relative dropped by to visit - unannounced, of course. Then after he left, I started again...my neighbor called, wanting to sell me some Avon! After she left, I made up my mind that there would be NO more distractions, and finally finished several sets.

What I need to do - what I MUST do, is as soon as I get up, go potty, and get STRAIGHT onto the treadmill - not even turning the computer on until I'm done. If that day calls for several different workouts, no pc til I've done them all...THEN I can reward myself with some computer time! Then I'll have something to actually post about, haha!!

I do great food-wise (I remember something I read in a Weight Watchers pamphlet: "Nothing tastes as good as being thin FEELS")...it's easier now than ever before to make wise choices in my meals and snacks. I even gave up all sodas and any other sugary beverage and drink nothing but water...so WHY can't I be more goal-oriented when it comes to exercise?? I mean, I do it - just not as consistently as I should...so yeah, I need some advice too!!

~April

"There can be no end to my success if I remember that determination, not destiny, makes all the difference in life. In all matters of consequence never never never give up!"
jigglypuff89

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all such good ideas for staying motivated, I think I'll try and make myself a plan like the one you were talking about firestartersSA, and have them on my wall so I can see them all the time!

I had a bad day today and did let it snowball a bit but it could have been worse I guess, and I'm motivated to do better tomorrow now too, so thankyou all!

Does anyone have any advice on how to work in things you like as treats? I've tried banning all bread, say (I'm in Taiwan at the minute which is amazing, but bread here is all filled with either cream / custard / sweet bean paste and sugary as anything if not, it's basically a dessert! I don't even eat bread much cos carbs kill all my efforts but I have failed on a grand scale since coming here, it's just so yummy!), but anyway, then I'll just ending up havnig 3 bits in a day and then feeling awful and not even eating normally (as in not diet-wise) the rest of the day, I seem to go on a self-destruct autopilot and eat terrible things I don't even usually eat in huge amounts... but if I allow myself it a bit I never set clear enough boundaries and it just builds up again!

Sorry for the rant, but I really need some help, thanks a lot! Sarah Smile

~~ Screw 'it's what's inside that counts'; I'm sick of being the big girl! ~~

backer

Total Posts: 476

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good way to deal with treats is to plan.You dont submit to them you take control.Decided in advance what you can manage,enjoy it guilt free on that day and get right back to the orogram.

I have counted to infinity twice
Jessamaca

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: motivation Reply with quote

I find it helpful to read a list everyday of why I want to loose weight, and also read it during trigger times. My trigger times are when I get home from work because Iam an emotional eater so if Ive had a hard day I tend to pig out as soon as I get home. I started reading my list of reason why I want to loose weight at red lights during my drive home. It has helped me alot.
veeDOT

Total Posts: 17

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: thanks for all the tips! Reply with quote

these are great suggestions! I'm also a procrastinator - I've been trying to just find ways to "sneak" fitness into regular activities - I find this a lot easier to do at work - if I'm at my desk I do little tummy suck-in's, or I pick my legs up and swing them up and down under my desk to engage my abs, I also have handweights here so if I have any down time I use them. The other day I had to stand for a long period of time in front of the mail machine (I'm an admin assistant) so I stood there and did aerobic's - moving from side to side. When I go to the ladies room I do leg lifts, and I always take the stairs and park as far away from the office as possible - sure I look silly, but I'll look less silly when this pays off.

I also have a problem with wanting to just come right home and crash after a hard day - I'm trying to get in the habit of immediately coming home, changing into jeans and taking my dog for a walk - he's very small so he doesn't NEED to be walked everyday and I use that as an excuse to not be active - but I have to get out of hat habit - having those 15-20 minutes to get outside and ecompress after a long day is just as beneficial, probably more so, than if I were to just crawl in bed and veg out all night.

I LOVE the only fresh food after 8 rule - I'm a total snacker, that's a great idea!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Our Challenges and Successes Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com