Todays Meal Plan     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamawes

Total Posts: 12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Todays Meal Plan Reply with quote

Hi! Trying to get a grip on healthy eating and would like to hear feed back on my plan for today,

Breakfast
poached egg
1 slice whole wheat toast
1 orange
water, coffee, vitamins

Lunch
2 sl whole wheat bread
1oz lean ham
1 serving v8 juice
1 banana, 1 yogurt cup
water, tea

Snack
apple
water

Supper
3 oz broiled lean hamburger
1 med boiled potato
1/2 cup french beans
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

Snack
1cup light hot choc(with 1% milk)
mamawes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

added a cup of snap peas to my lunch Smile
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks great! I love that you're planning out your meals and snacks, and including some healthy lean protein (lean meats, low fat dairy products) and fiber (fresh veggies and fruits, legumes, whole grains) each time you eat. Protein and fiber are important because they are digested and metabolized very slowly, so they keep us satisfied longer and also help prevent highs and low in blood sugar and insulin levels. Eating every few hours is also important, because this helps maintain your metabolism and keeps you from getting too hungry. So I think you're doing great! Smile

It's great that you added the snap peas to your lunch, as these are high in fiber and nutrients. I did have a question about the V8 you had for lunch. Is it the fruit or vegetable juice version? If it's the vegetable juice version, I'd be really careful, since it's loaded with sodium (almost an entire days' worth!), which can affect your blood pressure and cause you to retain fluid. A better source of vegetables would be adding some fresh spinach, tomatoes, onions (or any others you like!) to your sandwich.

My only other suggestion would be to add some protein to your afternoon snack, such as a tablespoon of peanut butter, an ounce (1/4 cup) of almonds or a reduced fat string cheese. This will help keep you satisfied until dinner.

All in all though, I think this is an excellent eating plan! How do you feel about it? Are you satisfied?

Please feel free to email me with any additional questions or feedback!

Healthy regards,
Deirdre, RD

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
mamawes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply! The v8 juice is veg. I will switch to some other veg. I have a terrible bad habit of eating extras right after lunch, and I believe this is just a habit I am going to have to break. I can have the best intentions for the whole day..follow my plan exactly, but about 1/2 hour after lunch indecent cravings kick in. Maybe that will have to be my exercise time. Today I fell into the chip bag, and also had some ritz crackers, chased with a diet pepsie! Makes me so mad..it happens every day that I am not at work. I guess the chips and crackers..left from a family day on the week end, will just have to be tossed. I really want this to work. I will continue to get my plate rated daily til I get it ALL right! Thanks again.
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, there is no perfect diet! Smile There's not one right way to eat. Everyone is different, and it's just about finding a balance that works for you. Be patient with yourself and trust your body.

You're totally not alone in the afternoon cravings. So many of us struggle with this. I would suggest taking a closer look as to why you're having these cravings. And it's important to try to explore this in a neutral, non-judgmental way (I emphasize this, because I think it's really hard to reflect on ourselves and our behaviors without passing judgment, and all the negativity really just creates a vicious cycle of bad feelings)

Are you physically hungry? Signs of hunger can be hunger pangs, growling stomach, etc? Are you bored? Tired? Is it something else? It's hard to change something if you don't know they WHY behind it. Sometimes keeping a diary and reflecting back on what you're feeling during and after meals (especially the ones that tend to be more problematic) can help give you a bit more insight.

And I think your idea to add some exercise in the afternoons is an excellent one! Exercise can help reduce hunger and cravings, it burns calories and builds muscle, plus it makes you feel inspired and motivated. Smile

I think you're doing great! Smile Hang in there and things will fall into place. And please feel free to contact me anytime!

healthy regards,
Deirdre, RD

mamawes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again! I am going to continue posting my menus here and hopefully learn as I go.

Here is todays menu:
Breakfast:
whole wheat english muffin
1TBSP peanut butter
1 tsp marmalade
orange
coffee
2 glasses water

Lunch:
1oz lean ham
2 sl. whole wheat bread
ketchup
1 cup snap peas
1 cup 1% milk
asian pear
2 glasses water

Snack:
apple
12 plain almonds
1 glass water

Supper:
BBQ pork chop marinated in sundried tomato dressing
1/2 cup brown rice
carrots
2 glasses water
jello

Snack:
1 cup lite hot choc.

I have really thought about it and my bad eating times are ALWAYS right after lunch if I am at home, and at 8pm after a 12 hour shift. I dont have the after dinner hunger at work. Too many people around to eat in front of and I dont like that. It almost feels like its a rebelious thing..for what reason I don't know. Something I definitely need to control.

Would it be all right to have my afternoon snack right after lunch if I feel like I need to eat then? On days that I am home I am not hungry in the evenings, so maybe I could have my hot chocolate mid afternoon instead. Just throwing stuff out there to see whats feasable. I really want to lose this 50 extra pounds I am hauling around.

Thanks
Karen
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karen,

Your eating plan for today looks great! I love that you replaced the V8 with calcium and protein-rich milk. Your eating plan is well-balanced, high in fiber and nutrient dense.

It's great that you took some time to reflect on your eating patterns. Being mindful is such an essential part of eating healthfully.

I think it's totally fine to have your afternoon snack earlier in the day if you're feeling hungry after lunch. You know your body best, so if that's what works for you, I think it's a great solution.

Keep up the great work! Smile And as always, feel free to contact me with any questions or feedback.

Healthy regards,
Deirdre, RD

mamawes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deirdre!

Yesterday went very well for me. I was a little worried because I felt soo satisfied, and ate so well. I wondered if I could possibly lose weight eating so much..BUT I am down 1.3 pounds today! WOO HOO!! I work 12 hour shifts on Sat. Sun. and Mon. So I will be packing my meals for lunch and supper for those 3 days. May be repetitive.

Heres my menu for today:
Breakfast:
1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
1/2 cup peaches canned in water
1 tsp. marg
2 glasses water

Lunch:
2 slices whole wheat bread
1 oz. lean ham
snap peas
banana
1 cup 1% milk
2 glasses water

snack:
4 graham squares
1 TBSP peanut butter
1 cup light hot choc.

Supper:
1/2 cup whole wheat spaghetti
1/2 cup meat sauce
1/2 cup steamed mixed vegs
1/2 cup peaches canned in water
2 glasses water

I know my lunches are very repetitive right now, but they are easy, and I am enjoying them ( and I have a ton of ham I dont want to re-freeze..lol)

I am hoping my measurements are close to right. I need to measure or I know I will take too much. I am following the serving sizes on the packaging for everything I can. Also I am drinking as much water as I can. likely a two or three more glasses than I post.

Thanks for your help and support!

Karen
mamawes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

October 17,18,19

Breakfast
2/3 cup shedded wheat with bran
1 cup milk
1TBSP peanut butter
orange

Lunch
2 sl whole wheat bread
1oz ham
mustard
snap peas
banana

snack
apple
12 plain almonds

supper
1 cup homemade turkey noodle soup
raw carrots and celery
1 sl whole wheat bread
1 TBSP peanut butter
1/2 cup applesauce

snack
4 graham cracker squares
1 thin cheese slice
1 cup lite hot choc made with 1% milk

This is the meal plan I will be eating for my 3 twelve hour shifts I work this week end. Its easiest for me when packing lunches to just do the same thing, as I am very tired after a long day to plan and if I dont do it this way I may fail to plan at all.

hope it looks right..but will be eager to hear if I have adjustments to make to this plan.

thanks again
Karen
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karen,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you, but I was away for the weekend.

Congrats on your weight loss! Smile This is fantastic!! Each pound you lose represents a deficit of 3,500 calories, so you've definitely made some great progress in terms of cutting your caloric intake. And you're making wonderful high fiber food choices, so you're able to eat plenty of healthy food without feeling hungry! This is exactly where you want to be- you don't want to feel hungry or deprived, because that sets you up for issues.

Your meal plan looks excellent. I think you're making wonderfully healthful choices. As long as you continue to feel satisfied and you don't find yourself getting bored, I think this a great plan!

let me know if you have any questions or thoughts.

Healthy regards,
Deirdre, RD

mamawes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deirdre!
Ham is finally gone..woo hoo! Very Happy

Here is todays menu.

Breakfast:
Quaker weight control breakfast
1 cup 1% milk
1 TBSP raisins
3 prunes..ya even with all the water..its prune time Embarassed
1 TBSP peanut butter

Lunch:
2 sl. whole wheat bread
1 freash tomato
1 hard boiled egg
1 cup snap peas
asian pear

Snack:
apple
15 almonds
1 c. lite hot choc with 1% milk

Supper:
3oz roast beef
1/2 c. mashed potatoes
1/2 cup beets
jello lite and 1 TBSP lite cool whip

If I need a snack in the evening it will just be 4 graham squares and a cup of herbal green tea.
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karen,

thanks for the update! Happy to hear you've finished up the ham so you have a bit more variety at lunch! Smile

I think your eating plan looks great! Plenty of whole grains, fiber, lean proteins and lowfat dairy.

Hopefully the prunes will help a bit. You may also want to consider adding a yogurt (I especially love low fat Greek yogurt- Brown Cow, Oikos and Q make great healthful and yummy options) to your intake. You could have this with or instead of the graham crackers, if you want. Yogurt has healthy bacteria (probiotics) which can help promote regularity. Plus yogurt contains has essential protein and calcium.

Keep up the great work!

Healthy regards,
Deirdre, RD

mamawes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deirdre!

Thanks for the yogurt tip! I will definitely be adding it to my menu! Wink

Heres my stuff for today:

Breakfast:
1 whole wheat English muffin
1 TBSP peanut butter
1 TBSP marmalade
I c. 1% milk
orange
coffee

Lunch:
1/2 cup cottage cheese(2%...I usually have low fat..oops)
1/2 cup pears packed in fruit juice
1 tsp marg.
carrot sticks

snack:
apple
almonds..15
water

Supper:
3 oz. meat loaf
1 small baked potato
1 TBSP. sour cream ..regular.
french beans
jello

snack:
yogurt(low fat)
herbal green tea

Question..I love tomato soup in the winter time..I have it stocked in the cupboard but I see it has more sodium than v8! Sad As of yet sodium has never affected me. My blood pressure is always excellent, and because of all the water I drink I don't THINK I have a problem with fluid retention. Would it be ok to have a cup of that soup from time to time, or should I get the low sodium variety..I think its available too.

Week one is over, and I have lost 1.7 pounds! Very Happy
Thanks for the guidance Very Happy
Karen
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karen,

Your meal plan looks great! And congrats on the weight loss!! That's fabulous!! Keep it up! Smile

As for the tomato soup, low sodium versions are definitely healthier. Even better, you can make your own delicious homemade tomato soup. Here are two versions from diet.com:
http://www.diet.com/recipe/roasted-tomato-soup
http://www.diet.com/recipe/creamy-tomato-soup

The first is a roasted version made with fresh tomatoes and the second is creamier option made with skim milk and canned tomatoes (look for low sodium, if possible).

If you want to use up the soup in the cupboard, it's probably OK every once in a while. Just watch out for other high sodium foods on these days. The Dietary Guidelines recommend limiting your total sodium intake to less than 2,300mg/day (which is the equivalent of about 1 teaspoon of sodium), so just try keep within this range.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions! Congrats again on your great progress!!! Smile

Healthy regards,
Deirdre, RD

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com