Best type of oil to use     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdwright1962

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Best type of oil to use Reply with quote

I generally use Olive oil when cooking. Is this really the best oil to use for weight loss. I also need to watch my cholesterol.
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olive oil is a great oil that is high in heart healthy fats (the unsaturated kind) but it might not be the best oil for cooking, since it has a low smoke point that changes the oil's properties when it gets to a high heat (like sauteeing veggies, for example). You could use it to pop popcorn, though, which doesn't require high heat.

A better oil would be canola oil, or grapeseed oil, which have higher smoke points and still have the heart healthy fats. I use canola oil in my baking, mostly (in place of the less healthy vegetable oil) and grapeseed oil when I'm sauteeing veggies.

All fats, oil included, have 9 calories per gram. So on average, all oil, teaspoon for teaspoon, will contain the same amount of calories but the fat makeup (healthy unsaturated versus unhealthy saturated) is different in different oils. Healthy fats have actually been shown to improve cholesterol by raising the good HDL cholesterol in the body. But no oil actually contains cholesterol as it is only found in animal products like meat and dairy.

Remember to factor in the calories from oil when you're cooking. Two tablespoons could add in an extra 200 calories. While they may be heart healthy calories, it is important to note that a little oil goes a long way!

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com