Motivation Needed!     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilshirej

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Motivation Needed! Reply with quote

It has been just 4 years since I seperated from the military. Gone are the days of running every day. I now have achilis tendonitis which prevents me from doing that. I did buy one of those cheap ski machines from wal-mart but the dang thing squeeks so loud I can't get in the mood.

I'm used to big meals, fast food and soda. I have no idea how many calories I consume during the day, but it's alot! I started this weight loss challenge and planned out 5 small meals for each day. However, my calories are only coming out to like 1100 a day. Is this too few? The meals include 2 healthy choice dinners, one for lunch and one for dinner. A slim fast shake and 2 apples for snacks throughout the day. If anyone has any advice on what would be better, i'd greatly appreciate it!

Starting Weight: 242
Goal Weight: 195
Current Weight: 240
Defiance

Total Posts: 37

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the work you do, and to ensure proper energy levels, i would recommend a breakfast or day starting meal with whole grains, proteins, and substance to give you energy bursts to start off the day and retain that full feeling.

- 2 pieces stone ground wheat or other whole grain bread ( 200 calories )

- 1 4oz yogurt with probiotics active enzymes ( 80 calories )

- 1 8 oz portion of ham

- 2 eggs hard boiled.

or like me, i use a whey protein powder ( Body Fortress Vanilla from Wal Mart for $14 ) 2 scoops per 16oz of skim milk, about 370 calories and you get a hefty dose of 52g of protein among other high energy components.

OR

add in heftier snacks or micro meals throughout the day such as nuts, yogurt, steamed veggies, chicken breast, or salaf, cottage cheese, or canned fruit.

you can do it buddy!!!

" Do, or Do Not, There is no Try. " - Yoda
laptopninja

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: sounds familiar Reply with quote

I got out of the Navy three years ago and am very saddened to see how out of shape I have become. Pizza, tacos and soda became my food groups and "activity" involved watching movies while eating ice cream from the container.

I am also doing a lower calorie diet. I am using some high protein shakes partnered with lean dinners and healthy snacks.

I have found yogurt and 1/4 cup nuts to be much more effective at curbing my hunger than fruit. I do like to have an apple or some other snack about 30 minutes before my main meal, I seem to eat less.

Good luck with your plan - new year new you!
Defiance

Total Posts: 37

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the yog and nuts is one of my faves, and i simply enjoy eating " earthy " foods lke salads, nuts, fruits, mushrooms, and peppers.. makes me feel more connected to my roots.. yeah that was a bad joke, but someone will smile about it.

" Do, or Do Not, There is no Try. " - Yoda
niemand88f

Total Posts: 47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To determine how many calories you burn in a day, use this calculator. Then subtract 500 calories from that, to get a 7 days x 500 calories = 3500 calorie deficit = 1 pound loss per week. For example, I theoretically burn 2100 calories in a day just living and "light activity" (not including exercise), so I try to eat 1500 calories for a 600 calorie deficit. You can lose another pound through exercise too! Since these calculators are just approximations, and everyone is different, you might not lose exactly a pound, but it is a place to start.

Also, men should not eat below 1500 calories per day, and women should not go below 1200, to avoid starving yourself and get the right nutrients. Healthy Choice meals are a good way to control portions, but you should try to avoid eating them twice a day because they usually have a lot of sodium.
jen82r

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Diet & Excercise Reply with quote

Personally, food intake hadn't been something I paid much attention to. Never have until somewhat recently. Food portions are what I noticed first. I'm accustomed to filling my plate at dinner, and eat everything on there. It's how I grew up, eat what you take. During the day, eating was a non issue. I was usually to busy at work to grab a bite. Instead, I'd come home afterwards and scarf down whatever was in front of me so fast, I didn't give myself a chance to feel satisfied and kept going.

I've cut back significantly at dinner & spread out into smaller healthier foods during the day, (protien waters, Special K bars, carrots). I don't binge eat after work anymore. If I do, it's usually carrots or broccoli.

Switching gears - exercise was what I really needed motivation for. Always an excuse for me not to do it: sub-zero tempuratures, worked all day, kids, dinner, cleaning, son's homework to help with, baby, etc...

For Christmas I received a Wii Fit board. Personally I LOVE it! What helps me to keep it in gear is blast my iPod on to some up-beat tunes and start of with a good 2 mile 'run in place'. Gets my heart going, and ready to strength train. Before I know it, I've been working out an hour!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> 25 to 50 Pounds to Lose Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com