Multi-tasking workouts     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Fitness Fun - Tips and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurettabear

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Multi-tasking workouts Reply with quote

Okay, so my biggest problem with exercise is that I have a hard time hopping on the elliptical trainer for 45 minutes or sitting in front of a piece of paper reading and following along for strength training work outs. It feels like I'm wasting my time.

During the summer it's not quite as hard because I can spend some time in my garden, but even then I'm not getting enough exercise.

Do any of you have any ideas for things that I can do to exercise that achieve more than that one goal?

I was hoping to walk to get the mail at the post office each day, but it's about a 1 hour and 45 minute walk there and back - that's a bit too much time.
SvelteMe

Total Posts: 302

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I dance while putting away the laundry, one piece at a time rather than a stack of things together. I also do a bit of dancing while doing the dishes, though I can't get as active as I can with the laundry.

I also do squats while brushing my teeth and pushups against the kitchen counter while things cook in the microwave. And vacuuming is a workout in itself! Wink

The opportunities are there; you just have to get a bit creative sometimes! But every bit of exercise counts!

Mindle

laurettabear

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's a good idea - for some reason, I have this idea in my mind that all of my exercise has to be lumped together in one big time slot, but doing little spurts like this can certainly make a big difference.
Lil_Leah

Total Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do, is I record shows I want to watch but I'm out and about while they air. Then I just pop them in (or if you have a DVR just select the show) and then for that hour I atleast walk on the treadmill and run during commercials. Also if there is a show you've wanted to get into but haven't had the time. I buy it (cheaply at half price books cuz' I have no money, hehe) and I watch a show a day and work out while I watch it.
mackadoodle

Total Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Multi-tasking workouts Reply with quote

laurettabear wrote:
Okay, so my biggest problem with exercise is that I have a hard time hopping on the elliptical trainer for 45 minutes or sitting in front of a piece of paper reading and following along for strength training work outs. It feels like I'm wasting my time.

1) Strength-training (weight-training) when done PROPERLY is NEVER a waste of time. Its only a waste of time if you're following a nonsensible, waist-of-time program. Unfortunately, there are many such programs. It pays to learn the basic, sound principles of serious weight-training. You WON'T be spending your workouts "in front of a piece-of-paper". You'll be spending them challenging your muscles.

2) Its not necessary to spend 45 minutes on cardio. Not every day anyway. You can increase the intensity and cut your time in half. 20 min of high-intensity OR high/low-intensity intervals is every bit as beneficial as 45 min of lower intensity cardio. The key is to be honest with yourself about your levels of intensity... and to crank it up a notch, each-week-or-so, as you build strength/endurance. Sure, once in a while, if my legs are really sore & tired, from the previous day's lower-body weight-training... I'll do 45 - 60 min of lower-intensity cardio INSTEAD of my usual bust-a-gut 20 min sessions. But I much prefer the 20 min kick-butt cardio.

3) NEITHER cardio NOR weight-training need to be done every day. NOR should either take hours & hours at the gym. A well-designed program actually takes up much less time than most people would think. Its about making the time count... and doing the most effective exercises possible during that time.

AND FINALLY:
We can try to multi-task and fit in a little extra exercise, here & there, all we want. And sure, that's better than doing nothing. But if we're serious about getting in shape... we need to take exercise seriously.

Exercise is VERY important. It deserves it's own designated time-slot. And WE DESERVE to give it to ourselves.
jessalove321

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: well Reply with quote

Razz good for you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Fitness Fun - Tips and Discussion Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com