Journals and Diaries to track food and fitness???     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poohtjbear

Total Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Journals and Diaries to track food and fitness??? Reply with quote

I read in a magazine that the best tool to manage weight loss was to have a food diary...

so I've been looking online to find one, but I haven't had much success...

does anyone have any suggestions on where I could go to find one...either retail or online???

any suggestions would be appreciated!!!
kello81

Total Posts: 53

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diet.com has the food tracker. That's very similar to a food diary. It's simple to use too! It tally's all of your calories, fat, protein, and carbs for you. If your like me and bad at math, then this is a great option for you.
CSL-Bailey

Total Posts: 1043

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pooh- we've got what you need RIGHT here!!! Just click on Tracker (up in the blue menu bar at the top of the site), and then Meal Tracker. You can also use your Diary (also on the Tracker page) to record thoughts or notes you want to include about your eating.

If you have any questions, let me know!

All the best,
CSL-Bailey
Wink
ConnieS56

Total Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option I found is a little calculator device called CalorieSmart. I got mine from Amazon.com but I think other websites have them as well. They're a little pricey (though my husband thought it was reasonable) at around $70, but they track everything - you can track carbs, calories, exercise - your choice. What I like best about it is the large database and a good search function.

It's much faster and more convenient than any of the PC or web programs. I can keep it in my purse and I've found I'm much more likely to use it than anything else. It is pretty good at breaking down servings/ounces/grams - whichever you choose. The program here does that as well but again, I have to be at the computer to enter something.

Anyhow, if you're interested you can read more details at Amazon or wherever. The only thing I don't like about it is price.
SvelteMe

Total Posts: 302

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a diet and fitness tracker on my Palm called Diet and Exercise Assistant that I really like. I've tried several programs on PDAs in the past and each had something that bugged me and kept me from wanting to use it (most notably the speed and how hard it was to add items). But this one is the best I've tried.

It also allows you to track (and view on a graph):
calories
carbs
protein
fat
fiber
saturated fat
blood pressure and pulse
your measurements
your percentage of body fat
water intake

I think the reason it is able to be so speedy is that the database for the foods and exercises is in a separate application. But the two together only cost $35.

Mindle

Debi54

Total Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: diet.com food tracker Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how to get either version of the tracker to save info from day to day so a person can refer back to it? I have been unsuccessful so far.

Thanks!
CSL-Bailey

Total Posts: 1043

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lily, when you input a meal, it is saved into that day's meal entries. These are always available for you to refer back to. Can you tell me which version you are trying, and what exactly you are doing when you input info? We will get this worked out for you! Very Happy

All the best,
CSL-Bailey
Wink
edan

Total Posts: 57

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just use a pen and paper. well a little notebook. i just write down what i have eaten, and the number of calories. its easier for me that online tools because a little notebook just fits in my bag, so i can write stuff i have eaten during the day down then, rather than forgetting about it. other people find the tracker and stuff helpful tho i know but thats just me. Smile
SvelteMe

Total Posts: 302

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I use my pda. My computer isn't always with me, but my pda is!

Mindle

stown

Total Posts: 297

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Diary or Journal Reply with quote

Hey, if you want to purchase one check out Borders, Books-A-Million or Barnes and Nobles bookstores. You should be able to find the clearance aisle with several types of books discounted. I was in Borders yesterday and purchased a couple for myself and a co-worker.

I would also suggest Amazon.com. I found a food journal for $3.33. It's small enough to fit in your purse or backpack. I'm always looking for the bargains. If I don't have to spend it, I want to keep it for a bigger treat later. Very Happy

Hope this helps.

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."
Why Weight

Total Posts: 365

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use the one here on diet.com. It's easy because your already here anyway.
Stormy Moon

Total Posts: 686

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has to be the best one yet!! Laughing I use both, I use diet.com's tracker and I keep a notebook that I can bring with me when I go out. I have a calorie king calorie book that I bring along too it fits in my purse. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

XO
wanttodo

Total Posts: 205

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, I forgot there are books out there that have calories for the restruants and regular foods Embarassed
Irene, I have used that book years back....humm, I should look for it Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com