Favorite workout DVDs     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svanjicki

Total Posts: 179

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Favorite workout DVDs Reply with quote

I just posted this on the tips forum, but thought it also pertained to this one, so here it is...
I admit, it sure took me awhile to get into the groove of exercising on a regular basis. I just had to cut the excuses and do it, and you know what? I really enjoy a good workout now. Not to say that I don't come up with the occasional excuse, but I get just about every exercise that I plan in. The key to sticking with an exercise program, I've learned, is to find something you enjoy doing. I mean, who wants to do something they don't like or that's way too hard? You have to find something you can live with and that isn't so strenuous that you want to give up before you even start. I don't know about you guys, but I like to mix it up. I do the treadmill 2-3 times a week while I'm watching my favorite TV shows (usually American Idol or Big Brother... it makes the time go by MUCH faster) and 2 other days a week I do some strength training and cardio using DVDs or a compilation on my own of things I've seen on different DVDs. I thought I would share my favorite DVDs and encourage you to do the same. It sucks when you spend money on a DVD that you don't even end up liking, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to share our experiences with our favorite ones, that way we can pick ones out that might sound appealing to us. Here are my top picks:
1) Turbo Jam (yes, it is more expensive than the normal DVD you'd buy at say Wal-Mart, but it's really enjoyable.) Plus, you have the option of purchasing more DVDs if you really get into it. The basic set includes 5 or so workouts from learn and burn to turbo sculpt (strength training) to a high-impact cardio party. There's something for everyone here.
2) Prevention's "Dance It Off". This is a super-fun dance/exercise DVD. You don't even feel like you're exercising, it's so much fun, but you do feel it and break out into a sweat. The only drawback is that you might have to rewind it a few times to pick up the routines, but that's the beauty of a DVD player. There's 4 different dances (hip-hop, latin, jazz, and ballet), plus a warm up and cool down. There's some really fun moves on this one.
3) Tae Bo. I've had a few Tae Bo DVDs in the past and I never get tired of them! I can't remember the name of my favorite set, but it has a total of 4 DVDs that include strength, energy, power, etc.
4) The Biggest Loser DVDs. I own the first and second ones. I suggest the first one if you're starting out...it eases you into exercising, and the good thing is, the more you get into it, you can advance to the higher impact cardio and bootcamp (they're killer, but a great workout!) I haven't used the second one as much, but it's a really good workout, and taylored to men and women. They both offer several workouts that you can choose from, plus they're pretty cheap.
5) 8 Minute Core Series. This DVD has like 4 or 5 different 8-minute workouts that target areas of the body, like abs, legs, etc. It's an awesome workout for when you don't have a lot of time or when you're wanting a little extra something to add onto the end of your workout.
6) Carmen Electra's Fit to Strip. I know, it sounds raunchy, but it honestly has nothing to do with stripping! She has other DVDs that do, but this one is just getting into shape to "strip" I believe it's the 2nd one in her series. There's all kinds of good workouts on this DVD and you can do them all, or pick which ones you want to do.
These are my absolute favorites, although I've been sticking to Turbo Jam and the Prevention ones lately. I need to change things up a bit. If you have any questions about the ones I've listed, feel free to message me. I would love to hear about other exercise DVDs that are on the market that get you guys pumped, because I'm always looking to add to my collection.

~Sara
CSL-Bailey

Total Posts: 1041

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips, Svanjicki!! Thanks for your list. I've tried one of Carmen Electra's videos before - they're so much fun! You sound like you've got a great variety of videos in your stash. I bet you never get bored, with that selection!

All the best,
CSL-Bailey
Wink
rosie69

Total Posts: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing CATHE tapes for years. I love them and have had great results. They are tough but very effective.
tleateal

Total Posts: 62

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the CardioStrip classes at the gym more fun and less embarrasing than doing it home alone to a video, but i think that might just be me, and it is a great workout. Thanks Sara.

stown

Total Posts: 297

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVDs are a great backup to my walk outside or when I ride my bicycle my hubby purchased for me. I don't know if you'll find anything different than what is posted here but check out the DVD Groupies group page. You may find a different title that might interest you.

Have a great day Sara!! Very Happy

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."
wanttodo

Total Posts: 205

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like richard simmons sweaten to oldies dvd... yes he is still out there. He just does not advertise like he used to. ..Judy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com