Night binging?     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Eating Healthy - Member Tips and Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueviolet20

Total Posts: 6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Night binging? Reply with quote

Alright, so I'm a college student, and in the dorms, we tend to snack a lot. Taco Bell runs? I love them! But, I'm trying to break myself of the habit. I generally eat pretty well during the day, but 3 or 4 nights out of the week, I end up feeling a little bit hungry around 10, and then I just completely go overboard with the food! And it's stuff that's bad for me, I'm talking cookies, ice cream, nachos, pretty much whatever looks good and I can fit into my stomach. For some reason, I think it's okay to have these late-night binges, but not to eat junk food throughout the day. Does anybody have any advice to help with adjusting my attitude and finally rid myself of the midnight chowdown?

steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat more healthy stuff during the day and you won't be so tempted to eat junk at night.

You should also monitor yourself and ask yourself if you are really hungry or stressed or just have a habit. Knowing that, will make avoiding some of the junk easier.

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue
mackadoodle

Total Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steffeysue wrote:
Eat more healthy stuff during the day and you won't be so tempted to eat junk at night.

Also, it is possible that you really are hungry at that time. If its been several hours since your last "healthy" meal, it could very well be time for another light healthy meal. Try eating something good instead of junk and see if that keeps cravings at bay.

Its OK to eat late at night, depending on your schedule. But its also a good idea to make sure that you aren't going too long in between meals... so you don't get hungry in the first place.
If you've been busy... going.. going.. going.. and going... ever since 5:00 or 6:00 without refueling, its no wonder you're hungry by 10:00.
CSL-Bailey

Total Posts: 1045

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice guys!

All the best,
CSL-Bailey
Wink
Anita_1234

Total Posts: 13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advice.

I would also suggest that:
> you space your meals so you're eating every 3 to 4 hrs. The moment you go for too long without food and you go into a starvation state you will grab on to whatever is the easiest, and junkiest food, so just don't let it get that far.
> Get rid of all the bad snacks you're binging on - get them out of reach. And swop them with healthier alternatives.
> Get a hobby that keeps you busy in the times you tend to binge. Go dancing, organise games nights and so on.
> Most importantly, stand up for your goal. Mates may tease you the first few times you refuse to take some junk snack when offered, but they will soon come to respect your choices - if they are real mates.

That's my 2c worth... Smile

\"It is with the heart that one sees rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.\" - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
edan

Total Posts: 57

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my advice is - if your hungry, eat something. but make it healthy. also if you write down what you eat by keeping a food diary, i think it helps to instead of eating whatever rubbish you want, add up how many calories you have eaten that day already. knowing i had to write down everything i ate tended to put me off spoiling the hard work i had put in during that day by bringing my calorie total up with a load of night time junk.

things that aren't too heavy like fruit, sugar free jelly or yoghurt are the kind of thing i eat when hungry in the evening atm.
Carebear946

Total Posts: 120

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, if you are actually hungry then eat something healthy, but I would try and keep in touch with your mind and find out if it is just emotional eating, boredom eating or true hunger. Sometimes we think we are hungry, and we are but sometimes its not for food, its for something emotional like attention. Keeping in tune with yourself will help you find out what your body is really hungry for. Also sometimes we confuse dehydration for hunger, try drinking a bottle of water, wait about 20 minutes and if you still feel hungry, have a healthy snack.

Kerry
Why Weight

Total Posts: 365

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try keeping a low fat, filling frozen dinner in the freezer, then when hunger strikes you have a healthier choice!
Stormy Moon

Total Posts: 686

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about crudites? Raw veggies with some low-fat dip or hummus, cut up fruit, yogurts, string cheese, triscuits, sugar-free puddings. Replace all the junk food with healthy foods and you won't feel as bad. Very Happy

XO
dostieclan

Total Posts: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I stay up late playing cards or games with friends, they always break out the chips & dips.

To keep it healthy for me - I break out the baby carrots & celery slices and dip them in salsa instead of eating the tortilla chips. They're crunchy & I still get the healthy salsa - plus I find some of friends actually grab the veggies instead too so it's spreading the health!
biggiefries

Total Posts: 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the way i cured myself of late night binge eating, because i did have this problem lol, was to just simply eat a large but healthy dinner early in the evening and do my best to get to bed at a reasonable time because you cant go out and eat if your sleep and if you cant get to bed you just have to exercise an extreme amount of self control and discipline, will power is the key, you can do or not do anything you set your mind to...just keep fighting toward your goal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Eating Healthy - Member Tips and Advice Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com