Sweets Everywhere!     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Sweets Everywhere! Reply with quote

A Diet.com Member Asked:

Sweets are everywhere in my office- from vendors, co-workers, other departments, you name it! I am having a hard time resisting them, any suggestions?

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis’ the season for sharing, so we’ve heard! Giving decadent treats is a tradition that will probably stick around, so we need to come up with some strategies to manage the sweets we eat and still enjoy ourselves!

Try some of the following strategies the next time the gingerbread men are calling your name:

• Start a new tradition and bring a healthy snack such as fresh fruit with yogurt dip or roasted garlic hummus with baked pita chips dusted with lemon pepper. You’ll be surprised at how fast they go!
• Set rules in place before you arrive to the office. An idea- pick only one place you can eat at such as the break room table but definitely not your desk. Or, only indulge when others are there to join you.
• Don’t deny yourself, pick one small portion you want to enjoy and have it with lunch or with a piece of fruit or string cheese later in the day. You’ll feel more satisfied if you combine sweets with a balanced meal or snack.
• To combat extra calories, keep up your exercise routine. Or, plan to walk on your breaks- you’ll feel energized and by keeping occupied you’ll be less tempted to hit the candy dish.
• Keep track of all the “extras” you are eating at work….awareness is the first step!
• Start a holiday season walking contest at work. Pick a place you would like to walk to such as New York or California. See which group can get there the fastest (have each group member log miles or steps) and have everyone pitch in for a prize such as movie tickets or manicures. If everyone is motivated to stay on track, it will be easier for you too.
• Get consensus to donate items from vendors, then there is less to tempt you.

Learning how to feast healthfully is a valuable holiday strategy and helps keeps holiday weight gain at bay Very Happy

RDShauna

Meghan McCarron,MS,RD,LDN

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com