At home workouts     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Fitness Fun - Tips and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cscott0403

Total Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: At home workouts Reply with quote

I am looking for a good at home workout. I am very limited when it comes to cardio. I do not own fitness equipment, have 3 kids (so going to a gym is a costly venture) and the weather is getting colder here already so before long outdoors is going to be off limits too.

I find most workout videos annoying. Any suggestions on good ones? or other cardio for indoors?

Carebear946

Total Posts: 120

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I really enjoy Gunner Pertersons Core Secrets, all you need is 5 pound weights and a stability ball. If you search online you can find the dvd's online and it comes with a slick silver core secrets stability ball. I have not used it much lately, but it is pretty great. You can even sign up to have the dvds automatically delivered every few months to add variety to your routine. Another good one is Windsor Pilates, same sort of deal a stability ball and some weights. They also do the automatic delivery deal as well. Hope this helps. Oh and by the way, those stability balls are so good for much more than just aerobics. I use mine to stretch my back out on and to do crunches. Hope this helps.

Kerry
steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really, really good place to look for DVD's is at www.collagevideo.com their videos are reviewed by personal trainers, that have video clips so that you can see the techniques and hear the person and how they speak, you get to see how long the video runs, etc. This really helps you get a good idea of what you are buying. They sell the Leslie Sansone videos and Gunnar videos mentioned above and many, many others. They also have "just music" at a certain beat so that you can do your own thing. good luck.

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue
tstoneall

Total Posts: 6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: workouts Reply with quote

I really love my original TeaBo work outs. They make a variety of time lengths and I feel strong and energized after doing them.

I also tried the slim and six. The basic work out is not bad, but I am always so sore after I never have tried the others.

Lastly I fing a walk in the nieborbood is very refreshing and kids like to come along, if we can teach them good habits now hopwfuuly they will keep healthy habits.

sevenluckykids

Total Posts: 15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: just getting started Reply with quote

I like the Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds. I can do these while my twins play in the living room. You don't realize how quickly the time goes, and it's low impact so it concentrates on burning calories instead of building muscle. Also it's not dangerous for me to do with babies crawling & walking everywhere!

loveangelmusicbaby

Total Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love Kathy Smiths quicktime tapes. There are two twenty minute routines which is perfect for those who don't have a lot of time for work outs. In twenty minutes each aerobic routine provides all the benefits to work all parts of the body and loss the fat. There are also calorie bursts where you can burn more calories by intensifying the moves. By just doing it at least three times a week you really do start noticing the differences.
And if you reach a plateau you can mix your workout by trying the second workout or doing both of them which gives you a total of 40 minutes of great cardio.

I learned the moves and every time I would work out after school I would put in my ipod and listen to my favorite music to keep my mind off of what my body was going through (when first starting I would get breathless).

You can also try Turbo Jam DVD's. It says that you can burn up to 1000 calories in an hour from the fun routines. ( I haven't tried it, but it looks fun with the great dance music and the fun moves.)
mackadoodle

Total Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: just getting started Reply with quote

sevenluckykids wrote:
it's low impact so it concentrates on burning calories instead of building muscle.
Hi SLK - Are you saying that the purpose of high-impact cardio is to build muscle?
Low-impact cardio is usually much easier on the joints... but NEITHER is a calorie-burning exercise -VS- muscle-building exercise.

ALL exercise burns calories. Even intense weight-training sessions (done properly) can burn more calories than some cardio exercises. But I WOULDN'T PLACE TOO MUCH IMPORTANCE on how many calories are burned DURING a particular exercise/activity anyway. If you're getting a good workout, you will continue to burn calories even AFTER the workout. If you're getting good WORKOUTS ON A REGULAR BASIS (a good, well-rounded routine which includes both cardio AND strength-training) you'll burn more calories ALL THE TIME... 24/7.

That's not to say your diet can be a calorie free-for-all. You still need to eat within your own personal caloric needs, and make adjustments as needed, for whatever your goals may be. But you will certainly need more calories than you do without a good workout routine.

All that being said, I'm glad you enjoy your exercise tapes. Just don't let the misinformation in their ads fool you. Ads are designed to sell us products, not to educate us.

And, just curious... why wouldn't you want to build muscle? I'm NOT talking big, hurkin' bodybuilder muscles. You CAN'T just accidently get those anyway. That's another whole ballgame! I'm talking about healthy, lean, firm, dense calorie-buring muscle! The stronger & more dense your muscles are, the more calories you burn. Strength-training is great for preserving & improving bone density too!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Fitness Fun - Tips and Discussion Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com