Negative Calorie Effect Book     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalyceh

Total Posts: 592

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like another quack trying to get you to spend money to buy xyz diet book to loose weight. That diet contains minimal protein, minimal variety and even minimal fruits and vegetables. Anyhow, like you said maybe the rest of the book is different.

But fats in and of themselves do not people fat, complex carbs keep you full longer and help your digestive system but are no more calories than simple carbs and in some cases you body needs simple carbs (i.e. after extersize).

SvelteMe

Total Posts: 302

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read this book, but I have read another book by that author and am currently following his advice to avoid becoming diabetic and lower cholesterol and blood pressure. What he spoke of in this book is eating a low fat, vegan diet. And vegan does NOT mean low protein. Vegan simply means getting your protein from non-meat sources, something I am finding not at all difficult.

The only thing I am doing different from what he advocates is he says to eat nuts sparingly because of their high fat content (even though it is the good type of fat). I am eating almonds because the latest research is pointing to nuts being high in fat, but not (in moderate amounts like an ounce a day) causing weight gain. And I have to say my experience has been backing that one up.

Mindle

steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Svelte, that reminded me of the diet my father was on after his heart attack before his bypasses and it was really simple.

1. No sugar.

2. If it didn't have leaves and it wasn't green when it was growing, don't eat it.

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue
SvelteMe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Well, this isn't quite that restrictive, but sometimes I do have to get creative to work with the restrictions (mostly the cheese one). I actually don't recommend it for everyone, but since I was vegetarian for more than five years before for ethical reasons, going vegan was just a small step.

It's not that everyone can't do it, but some people are so convinced that they have to have meat or cheese or whatever, that it would be difficult for them and they really would feel like it was restrictive. The doctor in those books talks about the four foods that people become addicted to: meat, cheese, sugar, and chocolate. The only ones I've ever really had a problem with are cheese and sugar. I've been vegan for about two months now and so far have been doing fine in avoiding them or substituting healthier things for them. Haven't really had any problems so far, even with the cheese (a big deal for me).

Unfortunately, I botched my last blood test by eating breakfast when I was supposed to be fasting (was so concerned about whether I would physically be able to eat after major dental work that I forgot I wasn't supposed to). So I don't know yet whether it is helping with the prediabetes or not. But my bad cholesterol went down 40 points and I have been losing weight. So it's worth it to me to keep at it.

Mindle

dalyceh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a problem with vegitarianism or vegeanism, their is alot of reasearch about how healthy it is but a diet of

Corn, Rice, Potatoes, Lettuce, Broccoli, Carrots, Black Beans, Kidney Beans, Spinach, Lentils, Celery, Peas, Cauliflower, Pineapple, Cabbage, Oranges, Apples, Grapefruit, Bananas, and Oatmeal.

Seems to be eaven more restrictive than being vegan (not that I REALLY know, just a guess) and it doesn't seem like something to advocate to someone to simply loose weight.

Vegitarianism and veganism is more than simply a diet you do to loose weight I think, or I can see people who do it weighing back to where they were with in a year (especially if they like meat and cheese). As you said it started for you due to ethical reasons. And I applaud you for that. I don't eat veal because I think it is beyond just normal farm measures necessary to produce meat and think it is not something I will support. (Please don't tell me about chickens and cows I saw a show on it the slaughter houses and could barely eat for a week).

SvelteMe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure what's going on with that list, but in the book I read, there was a bunch of recipes to get started with (should one be looking for recipes, but not required if you have other recipes that follow his guidelines) and there were a lot more ingredients than what is on that list!

Having not read that book I couldn't say for sure, but eating just what is on that list is, well, ridiculous! And you are right, that goes way beyond being vegan. Maybe that list is a sample of safe ingredients??? Because you could not get all your nutrition from it (for one thing, berries are missing entirely!). There has to be more.

Mindle

dalyceh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would like that diet Confused .

steffeysue

Total Posts: 1553

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I wouldn't, I am definitely an omnivore! And I enjoy my daily bread!

The miracle is not that I finished the race, it is that I had the courage to start. --John Bingham and Steffeysue
SvelteMe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really care about meat, although I do occasionally miss shrimp (supposedly there are some substitutes out there but I haven't found them yet).

But I am totally eating my daily bread. I'm just sticking to vegan versions. And fortunately, rye and pumpernickel (my two most favorites) are naturally vegan. Plus you can get other types of vegan breads, or make them as well.

Not entirely sure why I'm not craving cheese like I used to. Although I am starting to find a few substitutes that aren't half bad, plus how to use them properly (you have to melt them at low temperatures and for longer or you end up burning the stuff they're with, like bread).

Mindle

dalyceh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen quite a bit of veggie cheese at the store and I am tempted to try it, but it seems to be so expensive =/ . I missed the sale on it because I flipped through the adds two says late. But I have had to cut WAY back on cheese. I was in a habbit for awhile to have a cheese quesidilla every night for dinner (when my boyfriend and I started to date the only thing he had in the fridge that I would eat was chedar cheese and tortillas Laughing ). It sorta became an addiction of sorts.

SvelteMe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to try a cheese substitute, the best brand I've found (and from what I've heard from other vegans, it's pretty much unanimous) is Follow Your Heart. Like you say, not cheap (although not as expensive as the Scottish product Chreese. That stuff is $6-8 bucks a pop!). You can usually find this at natural food stores like Wild Oats.

There is also a sliced product that works okay made from rice (it's got a blue label, but I don't remember the brand). It works fine for things like grilled "cheese" sandwiches. This one you can sometimes find in normal groceries, but pretty much always find in natural groceries.

For making quesadillas, I'd go for the Follow Your Heart and shred it. Don't put a huge amount in or it will take even longer to melt. And cook it on low heat for longer than you would normally, or you will burn the tortilla.

Mindle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com