Too few calories     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Eating Healthy - Member Tips and Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sara_Toth

Total Posts: 123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Too few calories Reply with quote

I'm having a problem with, get this, not eating enough calories!

I find that I'm eating till I'm full, but not too full, and at the end of the day I don't have enough calories. I end up turning to ice cream, the low fat, low sugar varieties. I don't know what to do, I'm a hearty proportioner, so I'm trying to control my serving sizes so I don't want to keep eating but I feel like because I don't have enough calories at the end of the day, I should be rewarded, but at the same time not. Does any of this make sense? I think I'm rambling...

Oh, I'm eating 3 meals and 2 snacks regularly, often with a snack after supper.

JJ1979

Total Posts: 19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that problem too. You might want to try eating more at breakfast - like, let that be the part of the day where you eat a lot. But if it's good stuff - oatmeal, fruit, a veggie omelet, etc. - you'll be full but with stuff that won't make you hungry a few hours later and is filled with nutrients.

How many calories are you supposed to be eating? I looked to the meal plan for my program to give me an idea of how many calories I should be getting at every meal. It's important to eat the required number of calories (or at least your calories/week should average to the right amount per day) otherwise your body isn't getting enough calories and will go into starvation mode, and metabolism drops.

Hope this helps!

Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity.
Louis Pasteur (1822 - 1895)

Sara_Toth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm eating about 1200-1500 per day, and most days I make it, only after I've had ice cream or something else after supper though. Some days I barely make it over 1000, and I have to force myself to eat more.

For breakfast I usually have 1/2 grapefruit and an english muffin or a bagel (WW with PB&J, of course) and I find that I'm pretty much forcing myself to finish my grapefruit.

dalyceh

Total Posts: 592

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I started eating my fruits and veggies I had the same problem =/ . And that was even after my daily allowance of "junk" . When I see this becomeing a problem I try to add in something that is a bit denser in calories, maybe a piece of red meat instead of chicken... exc. I sometimes wonder how I will switch to maintinance mode when I am haveing troble eating all I am suposed to when I added fruits and veggies.

Sara_Toth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty variable when it comes to meats, we eat mostly chicken and beef, more beef though because we get it for free. So I do get a lot of red meat in my diet.

dalyceh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps adding in some higher calorie carbs? I.e. a pita breat has about 180 calories while my totillas have only around 100? Try to substitute lower calorie things for higher calorie items, we get full on mass of food more than on how many calories are in it. But, I understand your frustration. Sometimes I feel like I have to eat something fried to get me on track with my diet, or add cheese to a meal. The again other days when I am at the gym too much I eat more than enough. But it was always "higher" calorie foods. Hope that helps a little, not suree 100% what else might help.

Breezy999

Total Posts: 503

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow I wish that was my problem... I'm still having trouble staying between 1200-1300 and that's even more apparent when I eat breakfast. I've been trying to have a bowl of cereal (raisin bran is about the only one I like, but they all seem to be about the same) for breakfast with 2% milk. even a single serving uses up 240 of my calories, plus my coffee at 125 I'm now at 365 calories even before my day really begins!

Breezy999

Total Posts: 503

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's been my strategy too Tetera, I'm JUST starting to do the breakfast thing to try to kick my weight loss back into gear; but boy is it hard! I'm trying very hard to stick to my plan this week while my sweeties on a 'boys trip' to New Mexico; but rain kept me in the house all weekend and I wasn't as 'strict' with myself as I should have been.
I was "hearty portioner" and boy oh boy was I; now I've moved to "night time nibbler" (sounds like a snack cracker doesn't it???); maybe someday I'll be 'balanced eater' HAHA!!!

Sara, how do you manange to stick to 1200-1300 calories and still eat 5 times a day? HELP!!!!!!

Sara_Toth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Im working really hard at it.

On an average work day, I usually have a grapefruit half with sugar and an english muffin with PB&J on it = about 300 calories

I had a banana or a granola bar for snack = about 100

I have a salad with dressing and croutons, or a sandwich with cheese and meat and one of those lipton Cup-a-Soups for lunch with some veggies = about 250 - 300

Then some veggies and dip for snack - about 100 calories, if I'm lucky

and supper is my biggest meal of the day, I had slow cooker chicken stirfry with a cup of white rice the other night = uaually less than 500 calories, unless its my special day

I'm pretty consistent with what I eat every day, its too hard for me to change it up all of the time.

I used to stuff myself, like literally wanting to throw up after supper to reduce the pressure on my tummy, and now, after 3 weeks of measuring, what I eat on a regular day makes me feel so stuffed.

dalyceh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat more calories during the day because I spend ALOT of time at the gym but try to make sure I "net" at least 1000-1200 calories per day so that I don't loose weight too fast. I find if I eat alot of fruits and veggies during the day I am WAY to full to eat heavy calorie meals and don't make my 1000 calories. If I over did it I have a veggie dinner with a sprinkle of parmasan cheese (almost always cauliflower, steamed , but I can eat a whole large head of it with cheese for I think it was 250-300 calories). For those who wish their problem was not eating enough calories.

A question for sara, what kind of cup-o-soup do you get exactly, my boyfriend bought some of those and one had 280 calories Sad . And I use to really like them.

Sara_Toth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the Lipton Cup-a-Soups. I like the beef veggie or the spring veggie. The beef ones have 35 cals and the spring ones have 50.

kattycoffey02

Total Posts: 41

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem at the begining of my diet. Eat more often...my stomach is "small" in that I can't take in alot of food at once but if I eat 3 "meals" and 3 snacks (which there is often not much difference between like 200 on average for everything) then I can get my calories in without turing to junk food. If nothing else eat a granola bar or something light and then go exercise...you can kinda trick your body into thinking it's hungry hehe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Eating Healthy - Member Tips and Advice Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com