Just a giggle....     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!
Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalyceh

Total Posts: 592

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Just a giggle.... Reply with quote

Last night I watched "Mean Girls" movie that happened to be playing on the t.v. I had seen it before but did not notice a line in the movie....

One of the girls wants to loose 3 pounds and desided she is no longer eating food with more that 30% of it's calories from fat. She was looking at a bag of candy and found out it was 40% and then said "Oh, well I'll just have nacho cheese fries instead." (Thats the part I found funny)

The sad thing is that there are actually girls out there who think this way. I just really wish there was a way to get the media to stop giving young people such unrealistic body standards and poor nutrition standards.

rayychill

Total Posts: 56

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that movie has so many funny pokes at the silly things like that! such a good film
sirena49

Total Posts: 23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are so right, that movie although very funny, it's a perfect example of the struggle girls have to go through at a very young age with their self image. Junior and High school is that time when we are deciding who we are and who we'll be. It's very hard when they find they don't fit a certain standard, and it's not fair because 95% of the population or so, "in other words, the mayority", are not size 0, not even size 4. Great mayority is about a size 6 to 10, which is considered normal.
Bird77

Total Posts: 827

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the average American woman wears a size 12 (UK size 14) these days (bust 41", waist 34", hips 43"). Anyone who wears a single-digit dress size is definitely smaller than average.

The average size is likely smaller with teen girls since their bodies are still developing and women tend to gain as we age, but a size 6 would still be slimmer than average by a fair bit.

In these days, a man who says a thing cannot be done is quite apt to be interrupted by some idiot doing it.
- Elbert Hubbard
Bird77

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The technical conversion is 2 sizes up. But I know that US manufacturers tend to make clothes on the large side (vanity sizing). In an American shop like the Gap, I often wear a smaller size than I would in something from a Canadian manufacturer, thus explaining why I usually wear a 4 but have bought size 2s from American clothing lines.

That's probably why you're finding that you wear a 16 UK and a 12 when you shop in the US. American retailers are selling bigger sizes with smaller numbers these days because a woman is more likely to buy a dress if it has a lower number on the tag, regardless of whether it really is a smaller dress.

In these days, a man who says a thing cannot be done is quite apt to be interrupted by some idiot doing it.
- Elbert Hubbard
Bird77

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I hate going shopping and having to guess which size to start with all the time. If I pick too small, then I feel silly for thinking I'd fit the clothes. If I pick too big, then I'm frustrated. My default start size is a 4 these days, but I may need a 6 in skinny pants (too much leg muscle) or a 2 if things fit big (especially in tops/dresses). It takes forever in the fitting room, and sometimes I just get fed up and leave.

I wish more places would be like Spain, where the manufacturers have agreed to standardize sizes and make them realistic for regular women.

I do think different cuts are important, though. I'm not terribly curvy, so I want a slimmer hip, but I have girlfriends who need the room in the hips or they get that gaping waist problem. Women come in a lot of shapes!

- Elbert Hubbard
dalyceh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is really funny is when I was thinner I absolutely hated shopping It alsways seemed that stuff that fit my but was loose in the waist or they didn't have my size. I went shopping 2 times a year I would go buy all my summer clotes once and all my winter stuff once (I would get the same exact item in different colors and patterns, then wear them until they had holes in them).

Once I met my bofriend I actually began to like shopping ab bit once I realized my problem was the stores not me. For example he found really adorable pants he wanted to get me at Abercrombie, the did not fit, they did not have my size in any pant in the entire store, when I was THIN!!! But, Banna Republic always, before and even now, has something cute, fitted and inexpensive (I wait until stuff goes on sale).

LesMoo

Total Posts: 797

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...shopping is such a hassle for me. I am one of those curvy women, so I need pants that have a narrower waist and room in the hips. I often have the problem of the gaping waist! And don't get me started on the lengths of pants. I'm 5'4" tall (or short, depending on how you want to look at it Very Happy ). A "regular" length pant is ALWAYS WAY too long--I can usually fold them half-way up my calf--and an ankle/petite/short is either still too long or in some cases, too short. I've yet to find pants that are the right length. It makes my blood boil. Give me a 30" inseam--SOMEBODY!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Bird77

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm long limbed, so I'd like to have a reliable length measurement too! At 5'9" with a 34" inseam, women's pants are a pain. And the sleeves—why is it that manufacturers all assume that slimmer women have sticks for arms? i have small wrists, but I do have biceps, thanks.

I try not to shop at places like the Gap, Banana Republic, American Eagle, etc. No offense to my American friends around here, but I do try to support Canadian companies first. Same goes for Wal-Mart. I prefer to spend my dollars where they'll stay in my country.

I tend to shop at locally owned stores that carry real cool stuff that isn't cookie-cutter clothes from the mall. Most of them also have a good alteration service. I've taken the "What Not to Wear" people's message: We're not shaped like sample sizes, so get things tailored!

- Elbert Hubbard
dalyceh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to shop all at one store in the mall, but since then I try to find more out of the way sort of places where I can find little treasure outfits I can actually love instead of just wear. Unfortunately, in Las Vegas there is hardly a hint of locally owned places that do well for even a few months, and they are usually out of the way stores or have clothes that are of poor quality Confused . In California a few weeks ago I found a resonably priced summer dress with some ellastic in the back at a local store by the beach and love it!

margot68

Total Posts: 68

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you guys it now makes sense!! (The vanity thing)

Cos I was looking at a couple of clothing conversion sites, wondering how our Aussie sizes compared to Americans (I mean i always wondered how small a size 0 was anyhow!!!) and was getting conflicting information!!

I'm an Aussie 8 now.. which I think is an American 4?
It was just interesting to know..

Oh.... and here's another sad thing about sizes....

Here in Australia, a company (Sorry I forgot which one) has changed it's clothing sizes so that overweight kids and teens won't feel bad about themselves. They've called the extra large "medium" the large... well I don't know but the point is, the largest size is "medium" and they just go down from there.
There is no "large" or "extra large"
How stupid is that???

I mean how is that teen/child supposed to learn good eating habits and know that they have to do something about their weight and health if they're sent a message that there's nothing wrong with them??

I so disagree with this... Self depriciation is not the answer but denying the problem isn't either!

LesMoo

Total Posts: 797

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is completely ridiculous. I'm the last person you'll find blasting a person for their size, but if you're large, extra-large, that's what you are! No label on a shirt is going to make it otherwise. People can be so stupid sometimes. Are we so incapable of engendering self-esteem in our children that we need to resort to clothing labels??? Shocked

dalyceh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all psychology, perhaps they should make pants that are for someone 5'10" and weighing 95 pounds labeled aneroxic and scare them back into eating? Kids that are overweight know they are changing the size won't change that. But actually feeding kids something healthy in school and parents makeing their kids do something other than sit in front of the tv and play playstation will!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com