my roommate's diets     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CSL-Lauren

Total Posts: 487

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: my roommate's diets Reply with quote

The other day, one of my apartment-mates brought up the subject of dieting to me, and she was telling me about how her boyfriend is on a diet. Note that my roommate is perhaps a size 2 and the kind of person who can eat anything she wants and not gain a pound. She said that her boyfriend had decided he would only eat soups and salads from now on and go to the gym every day. Meanwhile, she told me how her own eating habits were making it difficult for her bf to stay on track. She said, "after he was talking about his new diet and we were trying to decide what to eat, all I really wanted was McDonalds!" Then she listed off all the unhealthy foods she says she eats... white bread, chicken nuggets, lots of fries...

this reminded me exactly of my freshman year roommate, who would go on fad diets every week. One week she would eat only soup. The next week she would eat only fruit. And at the end of every week she would go crazy on deep fried crab rangoon.

My question is, has anyone ever really, truly had success on such a restrictive diet? I dont think you can ignore certain food groups forever. At least I can't!

Best Wishes,

CSL-Lauren Smile
Txtrixie

Total Posts: 5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 17 my high school decide to bring back it's drill team. It had not had one for 20 years. The requirements to was to be weigh in at what your height and body built the night before the tryouts. That way they thinned out the hopefuls.
I thought I was 5'5 and medium frame and needed to weigh 135. So I tried every fad diet there was, fasting, no protein, low carbs, Dr Stillman's Quick Weight Loss, Richard Simmon's Live-It. I walked to and from school, worked out in PE, even on our free days. I also had a friend's dad who had been a women's volleyball coach who coached me with warmup exercises, jogging and cool down exercises. I was able to jog/walk 5 miles a day by the time of the weigh-in. That was Jan 1982 I weighed 185lbs to my goal weight in April 1982of 137lbs.

Turned out I'm 5'5 3/4" and have a large frame. The most I could weigh was 137.

By October 1984 I was back up to 156, that was the month I found out I was pregnant with my daughter.

Looking back I think that has contribute to my yo-yo weight loss and gain over the years.

So to answer your question: Yes you can lose weight with a restrictive diet for a short time. It's not healthy to ignore certain food groups. At least that's been my experience.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> Diet Reviews - Discussions and Opinions Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com