Back on Diet, NOT LOSING ANY WEIGHT     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deary

Total Posts: 6

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Back on Diet, NOT LOSING ANY WEIGHT Reply with quote

Last October, weighing 185lbs (2200+cal/day), I started the SlimFast diet. Eating three meals a day, a snack and the shakes, I was down to 168lbs (1300cal/day) by mid November with very little exercise, only light weightlifting sporadically. I looked bloody fantastic. Although my original goal was to get down to 140lbs, at 168 my stomach was flat and my thighs were no longer flubby so I stopped. Mind you, I had been 185-200lbs since the age of 12, and this was the first time I'd ever seen my belly button without folding my stomach up towards me, hahaha.

I was eating healthy without the shakes with a calorie intake of 1800/day until...I started dating a man who could cook. This was in early December, and since then we've moved in together and things have gotten much worse. I was eating around 2500cal/day with him, especially since we go out to eat at least once a week. While he doesn't seem to mind my new stomach roll (tipping the scales now at 182lbs) or my jiggly thighs--in fact, he says it's a good sign that his cooking is great and he feeds me well--I am disgusted.

I have resistance bands, an exercise ball, 5lb, 10lb and 20lb free weights, and a punching bag. I have been exercising with the ball and 10lb weights, but it hasn't helped reduce my weight (read: stomach and thigh fat) at all. I am sure that there is plenty of muscle under there ::jiggle, jiggle::. For some reason, I actually look fatter now in July at 182 than I did in October at 185. I miss my flat stomach and non-jelly thighs. HOWEVER, even on the SlimFast diet again I have found myself unable to shed a single pound for the last three weeks. I had expected the first week after increasing my water intake three fold that I would shed a few, but actually my face looks swollen and my eyes seem kind of sunken. At first I thought maybe I wasn't getting proper vitamins or something, so I added Centrum to my plan. It didn't help. I have also been having bad headaches and even after I eat (I am doing 1500cal/day because I was VERY irritable at 1300cal/day) I am starving all the time--as in the kind of hunger pains you get after a day of fasting.

I am flubberghasted. Rolling Eyes

I really would like to lose at least 20lbs and preferably 40lbs by November. What can I do about these painful hunger pangs and the newfound apparently permanent stomach fat?

Sad
karen1123

Total Posts: 815

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need to review what you are eating. Counting calories is OK if you are eating from all 5 food groups in moderation along with watching your salt, fat, and sugar intake and staying away from soda pop. You also need to be doing a cardio or aerobic workout at least 5 times a week. Exercise is the key. Find a cardio or aerobic workout that you like and stick with it even if you are having trouble getting your eating under control. YOu need exercise to build your muscle even though there is muscle "under there" you have to work it. Smile

I recommend that you look into the diabetic diet . . . even if you aren't diabetic it is a great diet to follow because you get to eat what you like but you'll have to weigh or measure it so you get exactly what your body needs. I couldn't count calories because I couldn't control myself and would have almost all my calories in by noon. I've gained control since then so it is becoming easier.

You aren't using Slim Fast as a sole source of nutrition, are you?

Karen
Deary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlimFast as the sole source of nutrition? Good God, no! I'm ashamed to admit that the first time I tried slimfast, I thought I was supposed to do, as the commercial says, "a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch, and a sensible dinner", nevermind that the directions on the container (I use the mix) say you *must* have solid food with your breakfast and lunch. Why the heck they have that silly jingle then is beyond me. Anyway, after a week the diarrhea was so bad that I tossed the TV commercial's directions out and followed the container, so my typical slimfast day goes like so:

Breakfast: Honey Nut Cheerios w/ skim milk, SlimFast shake

Lunch: Salad w/ romaine, tomato, carrot and fat-free/calorie-free dressing, Dannon Light and Fit yogurt, SlimFast shake

Snack: serving of hard candy like Hershey's Temptations or Werther's OR another yogurt (I love Dannon's L&F yogurts and they're fat free with only 40 calories each) OR baby carrots

Dinner: veggies (I'm fond of peas, broccoli and spinach), meat (love turkey and turkey burgers), and salad

Desert: (only if tempted) Slimabear bar or hardcandy or yogurt or hot cocoa

I also drink around 90oz of water a day and take multivitamins.

I'm starting to think it may have just been lack of the three S's (sleep, sunshine, sex), since I am looking much better today. I've also noticed that drinking a cup of orange juice helps with the headaches, so perhaps it's the summer heat, i.e. I should drink more than I think I should.
karen1123

Total Posts: 815

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I htink it all depends on how much you have to lose and what kind of exercising you are doing. I just found out that you may not lose any weight for the first 6 weeks of dieting.

The wonderful side effects of slimfast. I actually prefer the generic version as it has less sugar and less calories.

How are you doing since you last posted?

Karen
Deary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the scale, I still haven't lost any weight, but I can now see a nice difference in my abdominals (much less flabby, nice side curves starting, can see some muscle tone) and my arms are less jiggly. So, I guess I should stop paying attention to the scale and just stick to the tape measure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    View all forums -> 25 to 50 Pounds to Lose Page 1 of 1

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com