My first three days on the personality diet     New User?   Already a member?  Log in!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAGGIEMAE

Total Posts: 741

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: My first three days on the personality diet Reply with quote

Here are my meals for the first three days. I exercised 30 minutes each day.

Very Happy My Daily Meals -- 12/13/2004

Time Meal
07:30 amBreakfast 2 Kashi Go Lean waffles, lo-cal syrup,1/2 mango, coffee, water
Notes: satisfied my hunger
11:00 amMorning snack 1/4 cup trail mix
01:00 pmLunch Lean Cuisine Lasagna
Notes:yummy, should have had some veggies or fruit too
04:00 pm Afternoon snack small salad, four triscuits
Notes:got my greens in
06:45 pmDinner shrimp and pasta toss milk
Notes:yummy, satisfying
08:00 pmfat free jello pudding
Notes:wanted more!

Very Happy
My Daily Meals -- 12/14/2004

Time Meal
08:00 amBreakfast yogart-strawberry-granola parfait
Notes:humgry after
11:00 amMorning snack scrambled egg in a whole wheat tortilla/2T cheddar
Notes:why am I hungry already?
02:00 pm Lunch Arbys lo carb chicken wrap
Notes:big sandwhich, ate it all, filled me up
06:00 pm Afternoon snack baby carrots
10:05 pmDinner small salad with mozz. and olives ,glass of wine
Notes:didn't eat with the kids at 6pm, wasn't hungry till I went to bed!

Very Happy My Daily Meals My Daily Meals -- 12/15/2004
Time Meal
08:00 am 2 Kashi Waffles, lo cal syrup, water, coffee
12:00 pm 1 Nourische smoothie
Note: calories were enough but I am stilll hungry
02:00 pm 1/3 cup trail mix,water
Note: hungry
03:00 pm Luna bar, water
Note:still hungry
04:00 pm small bag of carrots
Note:feeling guilty for nibbling
07:30 pm salmon on a bed of mixed greens. three pieces whole wheat bread with butter, water
Note:I'd eat this again, a bit dry though
09:15 pm 3 lo fat pretzels, 2 hershey's kisses, water
Note:Snacking again!
10:00 pm 1 bowl of Kashi Go Lean cereal with skim milk
Note: couldn't go to bed unless I ate something
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

Total Posts: 1989

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaggieMae,

It looks like you are making healthy choices overall, good job! And, doing well at tracking your intake along with your hunger and satisfaction levels. Conscious eating is very important Very Happy

Based on looking at the 3 days you provided, try the following general recommendations:

--Add fruits and veggies...aim for at least 2 fruits and 3 veggies a day. A good rule of thumb to use is: add "color" to every meal. Fruits and veggies add bulk to meals without a lot of calories, they contain fiber and water to help keep you full for longer.
--Add some dairy in the form of yogurt, low-fat cheese or non-fat milk. Besides offering calcium and vitamin D, studies show dairy consumption has a positive effect on weight control.
--Add a small handful of nuts to snacks, new research shows nuts have a very positive effect on health. Their protein and fat content help curb your hunger...you still need to practice portion control though, about an ounce a day is good!
--It is generally recommened to supplement lower calorie diets with a one-a-day mulit-vitamin. However, It's always best to consult your health care provider regarding the applicability of Diet.com information and recommendations.

Now, let's walk through each day:

Day 1: this looks like a good day for you to go back to, seems like you were pretty satisfied! If you take a look and compare, your meals here look complete and balanced.

Day 2: Ask yourself if hunger is "real" or triggered by emotions. If hunger is real, it is okay to grab a snack, try and apple and peanut butter or string cheese. This is a good time to look back and highlight meals that keep you satisfied. Meals that satisfy can be very individual.

Eating Out tip: ask for nutrition information ahead of time or check their website so you can make an informed decision. Low-carb doesn't always mean low-cal or low-fat.

Day 3: Try not to let guilt bring you down. When we start to feel guilty, it tends to perpetuate snacking. This is a good time to pull out your strategies and review them. Or, write down all the positive things you have done, take a de-stressing walk, etc.

Today it looks like meals were more like snacks and not as balanced, which may be why you weren't feeling satisfied. Some people do well with 5-6 mini meals whereas others do well with 3 balanced meals and a small snack or two. Just because the calorie count is acceptable doesn't mean it will satisfy. Make sure you have a mix of protein/dairy, whole grains and fruit or veggies with meals. *Tip: add 1-2 tbsp light dressing to salmon over greens to add moisture!

And, great job on keeping up the exercise! Remember, take each day at a time and take time to recognize all the positive things you have done!

Last edited by DietitianConsult on Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
MAGGIEMAE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: first three days Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for the really great suggestions. Your observations were right on target. I am glad you said to boost my dairy. I like a glass of milk with dinner every night. I love all fruits and some veggies .I will eat more. I just get turned off by all of the washing, peeling chopping etc. but I know my time doing that is worth it (well, that's my new mantra anyway).Well today I am way off track. Rate this plate if you can:
I was in a rush at 6:50 AM.I brought my breakfast to work and forgot about it until 10:30 AM! Shocked I am a Substitute teacher.I gobbled it up (whole wheat bagel with peanut butter) coffee with no fat cream. Then had my lunch at 11:45 .(yogurt, rasberry granola parfait) I forgot to fill my water bottle up and it sat in my bag all day. I came home at 2:30pm , soooo tired I fell asleep until 4:45. Exclamation I grabbed a Fibar on the way out the door to drive my kids to ski/snowboarding. Here I am, back home and can think about eating!!But who feels like cooking? I'm the only one home and It's easier to graze all night long.I have a lot of days like this. The mornings fly by with kids coming into class every 50 minutes. I usually don't even get to leave the classroom until lunch break!
I drag through the afternoon, trying to stay awake.
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaggieMae,

It seems as if you are aware of your eating patterns so the next step would be tackle one thing at a time. The best thing about the personality diet is you get to work at your own pace and choose which areas you would like to work on first. Small changes make for longer lasting changes!

I would encourage you to re-visit you eating strategies and pick one to work on. Then when you feel comfortable you can move on the next or even move to one of your exercise or coping strategies!

For example, you might start with creating a supporting structure by making a commitment each day to eat 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Given your busy schedule, think about what you need to do to make this happen. You mention you are busy trying to leave in the morning and also busy with the students. A possible solution may be to get up 15 minutes earlier so you have time to eat breakfast. Or, plan to bring healthy and convenient snacks and a lunch with you to work. A frozen entree, yogurt and fruit may be a good option. String cheese, baby carrots, pre-portioned little baggies of nuts, tangerines and granola bars are quick and easy snacks to keep on hand.

A tip for prepping veggies: if you don't mind spending a little extra money, consider buying pre-cut and always keep frozen on hand for back-up veggies. If there is a Trader Joe's near you, they offer a lot of pre-cut veggies that tend to be cheaper than the grocery store. Or, you could try picking a day that you have more time such as Sunday and prep veggies for the week.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress!
MAGGIEMAE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Menu plan works! Reply with quote

I have passd the one week mark and weighed in 8 pounds lighter! All I can say is this plan works! I am making a commitment each day to eat 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner).I am still struggling to plan my meals on a daily basis.I rely on the meals diet.com suggests, if I print out each day's plan and leave it in the kitchen, I refer to it when the urge to eat strikes. All of the suggestions for healthy and convenient snacks are foods I like to eat anyway! I exercised 30 minutes 6 out of the last 8 days. As an all or nothing doer, I fight with feelings that, at that rate, I am not exercising enough. But, like you suggest...I do remember, to take each day at a time and take time to recognize all the positive things I have done. thanks for your tips!
DietitianConsult
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations MaggieMae, I bet you feel really good about your accomplishments. Is sounds as if you are making great strides!

If you have any recipes or foods that are family favorite that you want to fit into your meal plan, post them here! I can help you make healthy modifications (if needed) or suggest how to work them in as is!

RDShauna

Not a member yet?    Already a member?

SEARCH:   Web diet.com